1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christ Is Not A Goat-Herder

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, Jun 15, 2008.

1. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

I don't find anything wrong with Lambs post we all can come up with conclusions. Hyperbole is if the shoe fits where it. Many are to the path of their own destruction and trying to get men to follow them.

2 Peter 3:15-17

15 Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. 16 He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.

These people are the goats not men who have no Shephard, but sheep who are being mislead, by their own understanding given to them by those in above scripture.

I do hope one day we see the need of more workers and see the harvest, and pray as Christ ask us to pray

#101 psalms109:31, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2011
  2. psalms109:31

Jesus can accept a dog as His own like me who just begged at the table there is hope for you, turn to Jesus and He will make you one of His own.

3. psalms109:31

We should not ignore this, the sheep that followed these false teachers are already lead to the pit of destruction by these false teachers. They have already been judged. The sheep that have not will see the fate of these false teachers.

James 3:1
    Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.

#103 psalms109:31, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2011
  4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "These people are the goats,... sheep who are being misled..."

When will you ever learn? Sheep are sheep. Goats are goats. These people in 2 Peter 3 cannot be both sheep and goats. Goats do not become sheep and sheep do not become goats. Get it? Whew!

5. psalms109:31

People are people they are not sheep or goats. It is a hyperbole. I am telling you what goats was used for at that time with the sheep. Goats lead sheep to pits for slaughter.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A request was made to revive this thread as it pertains to another.

See if you can agree that my OP here is biblically sound.

Mods, you can move this to the Cal/Arm debate area if you wish.

7. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2Pe 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

In answer to your question, the entire post is not sound biblically.
    This whole comparison of sheep and goats being compared as saved vs. unsaved is not biblical. It is only made once in Scripture, and that is made in reference to "The Judgement of Nations" which occurs just before the beginning of the Millennial Kingdom. Nowhere else is this comparison used.
    In fact, goats are perfectly acceptable sacrifices in the OT.
    And, sheep are often compared to the unsaved.

Isa 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
    --This applies to all the world.

To all that believe on him. That is who he was addressing in the Book of Hebrews.
    Sheep are not being compared to goats. Give evidence of that outside of the judgment of nations.
    Christ laid down his life for the sins of the world; His sacrifice is efficacious to all who believe on him.
    As I said--The Judgement of Nations.

The Lord knows all; he is omniscient.
    He died for all; He loved all. He does not have "two kinds of love." He is divine not prejudiced.
    Here is one of your errors: that you could even think that salvation is "of merit." Who do you think believes that. There are some Calvinistic posters that believe "faith" is a work, and therefore one cannot be "saved by faith," because it would be by works. Is this what you mean?
    You have a warped sense of the sovereignty of God as well as a misunderstanding of the love of God.

Exodus 34:6 And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,
    Exodus 34:7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.
    --He is merciful and forgiving. Those are two of his greatest attributes.

Not true. The sheep/goat differentiation is a false comparison.
    The Lord knew before time (while they were yet in the womb) that Jacob would obey him and Esau would not. IOW, "faith" was the basis of God's divine "choosing."

Yes, Jesus plainly said to the woman of Canaan:
    Matthew 15:24 But he answered and said, "I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel."
    --Jesus came to seek and to save the lost?
    Which lost? He first concentrated on the lost Jews. After those lost Jews were saved (his disciples and then Pentecost), they were to go to the lost Samaritans, (Acts 8), and then to the lost Gentiles (Acts 10), and so the Great Commission was carried out, and is still being carried out today. The lost are all over this world and need to be saved. Jesus died for the lost. Those that believe shall be saved.
    Again, you have a false dichotomy.
    Jesus went searching for a "lost sheep," not a lost goat.
    A lost coin, not a lost goat, etc.
    And concerning "the Church", there is no such thing as a Universal Church.
    Ekklesia refers only to local church as the word means assembly.

Goats are not used until the Judgment of the nations.
    The other words all have a particular meaning depending on the context in which it is used.
    For example:
    Nehemiah 4:3 Now Tobiah the Ammonite was by him, and he said, Even that which they build, if a fox go up, he shall even break down their stone wall.
    --The word "fox" was used simply because they were numerous in number and did no harm. They were not innately evil. They were harmless. It was said in scorn.

Luke 13:32 And he said unto them, Go ye, and tell that fox, Behold, I cast out devils, and I do cures to day and to morrow, and the third day I shall be perfected.
    --On this verse A.T. Roberson says:
    This epithet for the cunning and cowardice of Herod shows clearly that Jesus understood the real attitude and character of the man who had put John the Baptist to death and evidently wanted to get Jesus into his power in spite of his superstitious fears that he might be John the Baptist redivivus.
    --Obviously neither one has the meaning of unsaved or false teacher, etc.

No one said Christ is a goat herder. Why would you imply he was?

9. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sheep are always sheep. Why? Before the foundation of the world, God chose a multitude of wicked sinners to give to His Son. His Son then came in the form of a Servant, took their sins upon Himself, died and atoned for them, shed His blood for them, them by His blood, laid in the heart of the earth for three days and nights for them, arose and ascended for their justification, and will come back for them. They were always sheep because Christ is the Lamb slain from the creation of the world.[Rev. 13:8]

10. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

And when one goes astray He seeks after them. For the Carnal Christian God chastens them. The church is to speak out about it and when they repent and return as the Prodigal did they are to receive them back because Christ has already kept them in His hand while they were not walking with Him.

Many who think they are safe by their works and many who look at those who do good works and say what a good sheep they are but when they face Christ tehy will find Him say:

Hmm interesting Christ said they work iniquity by prophesying in His name, casting out devils in His name and done many wonderful works in His name and yet they are goats.

While they accuse others of not being sheep the Greatest thing is His sheep hear His voice and no matter what others may accuse them of or call them they are Christ sheep. You can't tell a sheep by the outward appearance God is the only one who knows the inward man.

#110 revmwc, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2015
  11. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

13. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, JD! Me thinks we know each other.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

16. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Ezekiel 34....

I will bring them out from the nations and gather them from the countries, and I will bring them into their own land. I will pasture them on the mountains of Israel, in the ravines and in all the settlements in the land.[vs 34]

The sheep are not just the Jews monsieur. They are scattered all over the world.

My sheep wandered over all the mountains and on every high hill. They were scattered over the whole earth, and no one searched or looked for them.[vs 6]

Again, His sheep are all over the world. That is why 'God so loved the world.' That is why Christ said “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”[Matt. 28:18-20]

#116 SovereignGrace, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2015
  17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I have no argument here. A shepherd herds sheep. That is true. The shepherds in the OT also had goats. Goats were used for an offering for sin. Only one time in scripture is there a division between sheep and goats. And that is well into the future after the resurrection.
    It is simply my belief that that metaphor is over-used, and that is all. It is an opinion, not a doctrine.
    However, goats are used significantly in the Bible, and sheep are used to represent lost people. Jesus came to seek the "Lost sheep of Israel." Hence sheep are not always the saved. The metaphor of sheep and goats is not always so consistent as between sheep and lost sheep.

18. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why was a goat an acceptable offering for sin, monsieur?

19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Once again you have a correct understanding...and show you are not at all confused on this issue.
    Evidently this topic makes some Mal a LA tete....???

20. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excedrin # 9?