1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Christ payment was for all mankind

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by revmwc, Jul 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see Mr. Rippon claims those God chooses to harden are His elect. However, if being His elect refers to those chosen for salvation, then God never hardens His elect. Like so many Calvinist posts, the entire issue is one of obfuscation and misdirection. The real issue is God hardens hearts to prevent them from coming to Jesus. Thus the doctrine of Total Spiritual Inability is mistaken. Will this be addressed? Watch and learn.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin, you are wasting your effort at obfuscation. Did anyone say Jesus is not the Savior? Nope. So yet again, you are engaging in misdirection to obfuscate the fact Jesus is our propitiation or means of salvation. We are saved from the wrath of God through Him.

Next you claim someone that is ransomed is therefore saved. Another fiction. Christ laid down His life as a ransom for all, yet all are not saved. Therefore your assertion is bogus.

Next, 2 Thessalonians 2:13 clearly teaches folks were chosen for salvation through faith in the truth, a conditional election. So you attempt to divert the discussion.

Folks, ask yourself how many other Calvinists deny Jesus is the means of salvation? Just read Romans 5:9 until it sinks in. :)

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi OR, you said I say, "that through HIS death on the Cross Jesus Christ paid the sin debt for every person." Please provide the reference to the post where I said this.

When is the sin debt removed? When He died, or when a person is placed spiritually in Christ and undergoes the circumcision of Christ. I say when a person is placed spiritually in Christ. Please stop with all this mischaracterization. Please address the issue. Christ died for all mankind, He tasted death for everyone, He is the propitiation or means of salvation for the whole world.

And OR, why did God harden hearts if they were unable, bound by sin, to seek God and trust in Christ? Please answer rather than deflect that question.

#103 Van, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2015
  4. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 5:9. Great text! We are SAVED by Christ; He is not the means of salvation; He is our Saviour.

BTW, there's nothing conditional about being chosen. You're either chosen or you aren't. God chose sinners in eternity past. He gave them to the Son who has redeemed them by His shed blood. Faith in the truth is the means that is used.

I'm still waiting for all those texts you're going to give me showing that Christ is described in the Bible as 'means of salvation.'

Come along now! Don't be shy!

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, you made that very claim in post 82. I questioned that statement in post 92. In post 93 you denied what you said in post 82. I wanted you to come clean in post 95. I had asked you point blank if you still held to what you said in post 82.

Now, you are claiming I hold to it, which of course is nonsensical. You have to own up to your own words.

You are all over the place. You need to be honest and clear.

6. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

According to Acts 13:48, we were ordained to eternal life.

Ephesians 1: 4-5 tells us that this ordaining was done before the world was even created because we were born spiritually dead (See Eph. 2:1-5ff).

Any sort of theology that claims otherwise runs completely against these NT verses and must therefore be rejected as heresy.

7. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are quite right in your theology, wpe3bql, but I am always very reluctant to use the H word. It has unfortunate connotations. If you changed that word to 'error,' I would be in full agreement with you.

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, as you can see, Mr. Rippon is simply changing the subject, a tried and true method to avoid the truth that Calvinism is mistaken doctrine. He plays games with "elect" using the same term for those chosen to be hardened and those chosen for salvation. Fiddlesticks.

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, Martin denies being chosen for salvation through faith in the truth is a conditional election. Obvious obfuscation.

Next Martin claims Christ is not the means of salvation, which is blasphemy. Next, he seems unable to comprehend Romans 5:9 where Christ is the means by which we are saved from the wrath of God.

Note the immense effort by numerous Calvinists to deny Christ died for the whole world, that Christ tasted death for everyone, that Christ laid down His life as a ransom for all.

1) Total Spiritual Inability is demonstrated mistaken by Matthew 23:13
    2) Unconditional Election is demonstrated mistaken by 2 Thessalonians 2:13.
    3) Limited Atonement as defined by Calvinism is demonstrated mistaken by 2 Peter 2:1
    4) Irresistible Grace is demonstrated mistaken by Matthew 23:13.

10. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Joshua 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

So did the Israelites have freedom to choose whom they woukld serve or was Joshua mistaken?

Did they have absolute autonomy or did they have Power to Choose?

So to seek God does one make a choice? If you seek Him, maybe you will and maybe you won't seek Him, isn't that making a choice?

They had to make a choice here to set their heart and soul to seek the Lord your God. They had to make a conscious choice did they not?

They "sought him with their whole desire" isn't that making a choice for Him?

Again we see they are called upon to make a choice, they should seek the Lord that is ALL men every where to repent that is to seek the Lord and seek to repent before Him.

Finally we see

Again they diligently seek Him and come to him that is they make a choice to come to Christ, each and every person form Every Where.

11. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

All who would be saved were chosen before the foundation of the world, how were they chosen?

God in His Omniscience Knew the choice a person would make in eternity past and therefore Predestinated them to be conformed to the image of His Son. Therefore they would be saved through the sacrificial blood of the Lamb of God that is Jesus Christ. By Christ blood God was appeased and all those who make a conscious choice for Christ will be saved. But god knew who would and who would not make that choice. He knew Who would and Who would reject Christ. Thus He Predestinated those whom He FOREKNEW the choice they would make for Christ.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 8:12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

John 6:48 I am that bread of life.

John 6:51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
    Joh 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

John 10:7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.

John 10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

John 10:11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

John 10:14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.

John 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
    26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have no "folks" Van.
    You had said in post 101 :"I see Mr. Rippon claims those God chooses to harden are His elect."

I demonstrated that your statement was a lie. You, in fact, made that absurd remark in post 82.
    I have done no such thing. Please do not lie. The elect are the chosen. Those words are synonyms. The elect, or chosen ones are of course chosen for salvation.

God mercies some and leaves the rest hardened. If you disagree then you deny Scripture such as Romans 9:18.

These are two distinct groups. The elect certainly are not "chosen to be hardened."

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see we have "God mercies some and leaves the rest hardened." Does scripture say this? Nope. NASB Romans 9:18, So then He has mercy on whom He desires, and He hardens whom He desires. Both having mercy and hardening are verbs in the present tense. Thus "leaves hardened" is a rewrite.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks DHK, John 14:6 is particularly on point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.