1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christ The Calvinist

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, Apr 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Let me ask you something close to what was asked by me the other day.

Do you believe Calvinist are believers in the same God as you, and do you believe that you peach the same gospel as Calvinist?

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I do not recall you asking me that James? I believe you are my brother in Christ and in order for that to be true, we would both have to believe in Christ and His doctrine, not Calvinism or anything else.
    If there was any following it was the Calvinist following Christ, not the other way around.
    The OP gives the impression that Christ was a Calvinist, which was not in existance, until sometime in 16th Century and never really got started until the 19th Century.

I do not like the implication that Jesus was anything other than the "Son of God". Try as hard as you may, you will not get Calvinism to go all the way back to Christ. Maybe what the Calvinist believe, of which we debate all the time and you have your understanding and I have mine, but whatever the truth is about the matter it belongs to Christ and not Calvin, Calvinism or even Baptist.

I would think that you as a follower of Christ would resent the impression the OP makes.

It is asking the question as if Jesus had to be a member of some group.

#82 Brother Bob, Sep 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2007
  3. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I have not read but a few post on this thread Bob.

You make a good point as to the group member thing. Maybe the OP was not worded right.

Bob, I made a typo on my post. I did not ask you this before, someone asked me something like this the other day. Just getting your input.

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Thank you James;

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I think it would be anachronistic to label Christ the first Calvinist.

2. However, if he espoused and expounded the doctrines of grace, that we cannot dismiss.

3. So we are force to ask, Did Jesus espouse and expound the doctrines of grace?

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

That does not even come close to the OP, which asks the question if Christ belonged to some group.

BBob,

#86 Brother Bob, Sep 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2007
  7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

BBob,

He did not belong to a group of Calvinists for the same reason he couldn't be called a Hippie.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BB : The OP did not ask any questions . It did not ask if Christ belonged to a certain group . ( You need to read , or read more carefully ) .There was no query -- I made declarative statements , and quoted those who did as well .

James M. Boice said : "These are the truths taught by Jesus and confirmed for us in Scripture by the Apostle Paul ... the doctrines known as Calvinism ... are that which takes its origin in the teachings of Jesus ."

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

These statements do not say "Christ the Calvinist", to infer that Christ was a Calvinist, but rather state that Calvinism doctrine orginated from the doctrine of Jesus, which is a great big statement. That would mean that each and every thing held by Calvinism came from Christ, which I doubt.

Christ the Calvinist, the OP is making a statement that Christ is a Calvinist, which infers that Christ belonged to Calvinism. Scripture teaches that Christ is the "head" of the church and does not belong to any Group, which is putting the cart before the horse. IMO

It is the same as if I started a thread as "Christ the Arminian", as if Christ was a follower of Jacobus_Arminius.

You can post what you want, I am just telling you how it looks to me and I do not think you meant that Christ was really a Calvinist, but it comes across that way. IMO

#89 Brother Bob, Sep 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2007
  10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Absolutely. The Gospel (salvation by grace through faith) is the doctrine of grace...not calvinism.

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Christ was not the first Calvinist, and if any scholar or theologian ventures this, he is mistaken.

2. It is wrong to call Christ the first Calvinist; rather we should ask, Did Christ teach the doctrines of grace?

3. The doctrines of grace did not originate with John Calvin. This has been demonstrated time and time again.

4. I repeat, Christ was not a Calvinist, but did He espouse and expound on the doctrines of grace? That should be our focus.

5. The term Calvinist is a historical construct and to put it on Christ, knowing the history of the term, would make us guilty of the anachronistic fallacy.

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

But what you define as the Gospel assumes so much:

1. "Salvation" from what?

2. "By grace," what does that mean?

3. "Through faith," what does that mean?

4. Is this salvation a one time experience that can be lost and regained and lost and regained?

5. Why aren't everyone saved?

13. skypair

skypair Active Member

So if we believe what we "hear" Him say and "follow Him," we can assume we are saved. Is that it? So if I walk into your church and agree with the pastor's preaching, I can join ("follow") and presume that I am saved?

See, this is what I find just a little disingenuous about that interpretation. As was quoted of Spurgeon -- true Calvinists are "asleep."

skypair

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SP : You need to do an honest study of John 10 where the Scripture ( not Boice or myself ) speaks of the sheep hearing His vice and following Him .

As for Spurgeon's remark -- it was aimed at hyper-calvinists -- not true Calvinists . You are so transparently false in the webs you weave .

15. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

By become one of His followers Jesus meant to believe on Him and to make Him Lord. Those who were unwilling to do so, like the rich young ruler, went away lost and condemned. This is quite different from the "Grace Only" view of Calvinists.

16. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

NO SIR! Baptists who hold to the Doctrines of Grace are increasing in the SBC by leaps and bounds!

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You know what I mean "saved by grace through faith". That is the good news...The Gospel...THE doctrines of grace.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

double post...

19. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Yes, I love that verse dearly, but how does it apply to my life? Why does it make sense to me? What does it assume about my human condition? That is where the rubber meets the road, my brother.

#99 TCGreek, Sep 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2007
  20. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

Labeling Jesus Christ after a man's surname is close to blasphemous in my book. Jesus is not a "calvinist" as the title of the thread so ignorantly labels him. He is the Son of God, God manifest in the flesh.

One can feel that Calvin's teachings line up with Christ's, but to claim that Christ's teachings lined up with Calvin's theology... well, that just continues to show that man worship that is so common with those following after this man made theology of calvinism.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.