1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christain Tattoos?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Gib, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Robert B

Robert B New Member

av1611,

Thanks for your drawn out response.

It seems like you have a reason not to answer my question directly, which is your right. However, I think it speaks to the integrity of your argument, that you must avoid, rather than respond with directness.

I will hope that your sons, if you have any, never shave their beard or get a flat-top haircut, because I fear that you will release the rod of punishment on them for disobeying the Leviticus code, which was for the Jews, but to you applies to all of us today. I also hope that your sons will not wear interwoven clothes.

Thanks for your (non) response, my dear brother.

God bless you.
    In Christ,
    Robert B.

2. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

:rolleyes: [​IMG]
    In HIS service;
    Jim

3. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

4. jim62

jim62 New Member

my tattoos played a big part in me getting saved

5. Gib

Gib Active Member

Okay jim62, don't leave us hanging. Tell us how.

6. FrankBetz

FrankBetz Guest

I think I understand. If you get a tattoo, you will end up going to prison and start smoking marijuana. Thanks for clearing that up. </font>[/QUOTE]Adding smoke to a conversation doesn't nearly clear anything, but if you would like to continue reading things backwards then you just might end up at the finish ahead of all the others who go at life in the reverse direction.

7. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For many people, tattoos make a statement. That statement frequently has to do with some sort of rebellion against convention.

I categorize it with other fads of clothing, jewelry, hair style, music, etc. They aren't inherently sinful in and of themselves but they are sometimes done for the wrong reason or else associate someone with a "be like the world" mindset.

I guess the critical thing to ask is: "Why?"

A Christian shouldn't be so enamoured with the world that we follow their style trends. The only statement we should be concerned about is our lives and testimony.

8. FrankBetz

FrankBetz Guest

Then you will need to read my reply to you in the versions forum and reconsider what you just said.

9. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please be more clear about what you think the relationship is.

What would you have me reconsider?

10. Jason Garrett

Jason Garrett New Member

You people are absolutely rediculous. Also, the Bible does not say drinking alcohol is wrong. Only drunkenness is forbidden.

As far as piercings and tattoos, those of you who use OT scripture to denounce the practice are obviously VERY scripturally immature, as those were laws passed down from God to the Israelites to as His plan for righteousness. Follow these laws, and you will be righteous. Jesus did away with all of that stuff. Thank God!

Do I have a tattoo, or a piercing? No. My wife has a small ring pierced into her right eyebrow and it frankly looks pretty cool. I like it a lot. Gasp, she's also a born again Christian.

Sometimes, reading this board, I think many of you feed of each other and you make each other feel so righteous. It must be fun not having any faults. Are any of you overweight? That is a sin, because you obviously haven't taken care of the body God gave you. Do any of you eat fried fatty foods? Do any of you ever, ever break the speed limit, even by one mile per hour? Do any of you subscribe to satellite or cable tv, or ever watch any program whatsoever on any of the three free networks? After all, that puts money into the corrupt media industry's pocket. Do any of you purchase products made with slave labor, even unknowingl? I could go on and on, and I'm sure somewhere you will fall into that category. So, just remember that when you denounce, denounce, denounce. Why not try, Love, Love, Love. And don't give me this garbage about how if we really love them we'll denounce them. BS. Jesus loved the prostitue and the tax collector.

11. cindig2

cindig2 New Member

Amen Jason Garrett!!!

12. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Justify, justify, justify.
    Yet, wrong.
    Show me where the Bible even hints at God accepting a PAGAN practice.
    I will love a PERSON with or without a tattoo.
    The PRACTICE of tatooing is pagan. Period. God said to HIS people do not do it.

Are you or are you NOT one of His people?
    Do I have sin? Yes. Do I consciously follow the worlds ways? No.

My goodness people, get a grip. God is holy. He EXPECTS us to be holy and seperated from the world and its ways.

Show me where God approves of cutting your flesh to honor Him.

You might as well join the Phillipino Catholics and crucify yourself too!

In HIS service;
    Jim

13. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that the OT ceremonial laws do not apply to us. However there is a principle that Jim hit on that is consistent in the NT. We should not seek an appearance that identifies us with "the world" and its fads.

Her salvation isn't in question. However, the question could be "Why did she do it?"

Does it give glory to God or make her look worldly? Did she do it to make herself more pleasing to you or because it is the latest "in" thing with the world?

Some things are not sinful in and of themselves. I don't believe that many people today associate piercings and tatoos with the ancient pagans. But there is a problem when a Christian follows the world's fads so they can "fit in".

The "why" of these things is alot more important than the "what".

How is something wrong justified by something else wrong?
    Correction is one of the most loving things anyone can attempt with a fellow Christian. Even if you disagree that these things are wrong, you should be more 'loving, loving, loving" and assume that folks are trying to help rather than condemn.
    He also expected them to repent of their sins and worldliness.

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

It's amazing how threads on drinking and tattoos will go on and on . . . . ! Of course, here I am, adding to it! :D

I tend to agree with this except how can we say someone is getting a tattoo in order to "fit in." That is judging someone's motive and I don't think we should do that. Maybe they just like tattoos!

And where do we draw the line? We wear "nice" clothes to fit in, maybe have a "nice" car, etc. Would most Christians who could afford a better car drive a beat-up old car, even if it worked? Christians can be very image conscious. Maybe not having a tattoo in order to "fit in" is just as bad as having one to "fit in."

With all the bad stuff going on today, outside and inside the church, I think tattoos fall at the bottom of the pile in importance.

The Bible is clear that the markings forbidden then were because of idol worship. These markings were usually images or symbols associated with various gods. I'm doing an OT research paper now on trees and tree imagery and have come across info on tattoos as I'm looking up how pagans used trees in their worship.

15. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

I'd go along with that, Marcia.

16. gingerfairway

gingerfairway New Member

My mother's best friend's son is into the church, I mean the ministry of the youth thing, and he has a tattoo to help his ministry and it has helped. I have also thought of getting a tattoo, to help in ministering to others. My chosen tattoo would be something of my own design. The design starts out as a cletic cross on the hilt of a sword. The sword is in a stone that reads the rock of my salvation. On the sowrd it reads the tongue is a double edged sowrd. then over all of thes a reference to my favorite bible verse I can;t decide if that should be 2Tim. 1:7 or John 14:6-13. My husband though has requested to wait until our daughter is an adult before i get a tattoo. We have taught her that in leviticus it twlls us not to get a tattoo to seperate ourselves from the pagans. My husband has requested that we uphold this as examples to our daughter. So he being the head of the household, I have agreed to wait until our daughter is an adult, then I will get a tattoo. I am 31 going on 32 and will get said tattoo when I am about 37-38 and it will be on my arm.

17. Gib

Gib Active Member

Ginger, welcome to the BB. I don't want to hurt your feelings. Getting a tattoo maybe a personal choice, but to get one to help aid you to minister to the world is a hoot. You don't have to look like the world to reach the world. The Lord goes before you. Not some ink under your skin. :eek: [​IMG]

18. fatbacker

fatbacker New Member

I indeed know that our bodies our the temple of Christ. It is a matter of opinion that tattoos are "defilement" of that temple.

Is shaving off my beard defilement, or getting a flat top?

What constitutes defilement exactly?

Also, jim, I don't think you should take it upon yourself to claim that we will be judged for getting a tattoo when it is merely a matter of opinion, rather than Biblical authority.

Robert,

So let me get this straight, God said do not make any markings on your body or cut yourself and then did He go on to say unless you really feel like it since it is only my opinion? I am sure that goes right along with the commandment that says homosexuality is an abomination in My eyes but it may not be in yours so go ahead, its only my opinion or thou shalt not kill unless your really mad at that person. How about thou shalt not commit adultery unless your really turned on by that person after all its only my opinion.

Next time someone offends you, steals, cheats and lies to you Robert just remember its no big deal since it is only an opinion whether or not it is right or wrong.

19. fatbacker

fatbacker New Member

Next time someone offends you, steals, cheats and lies to you Robert just remember its no big deal since it is only an opinion whether or not it is right or wrong.

I am adding one more thing to my post. If God says dont mark your body than DONT. If He says dont lie, cheat and steal then dont.
    If we do things because the times we live in make it somehow acceptable then throw away your bible and join the masses on the broad and spacious road. God has yet to make a law to hurt or hinder us. I am pretty sure God had forseen the times we live in and deemed this law just as relavent for today as He did when He first spoke it into existence three thousand years ago.

20. JustinWindsor

JustinWindsor New Member

Does any Baptist seriously think that anything in the Old Covenant applies to a Gentile believer (saved through the ministry of the New Covenant in Christ's blood) as a standard or rule?

Leviticus 19:28 "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD." (KJV)

Picking and choosing a part or parts of the Old Covenant instructions to the Israelite nation for application as standard or rule is not consistent with the Apostles' teaching. These instructions were never meant for any Gentile, ever. They are no longer applicable to a Jew since the cross of Jesus Christ.

If we seriously think that Old Covenant instructions to Israel apply to us then we have to accept them all. (Yikes, I'm building the corners of my house wrong!) Moral teaching as principles abound in Scripture quite separately and apart from Old Covenant instructions.

The Apostles have told us quite clearly how to regard the Old Covenant today. It is the ministry of condemnation, it is a burden, it is the ministry of death. Depending on any one point of it for salvation is in error as it only condemns.

Using any part of the Bible to compose a list of do's and don't to apply to others arises from our sinful nature and leads to judging and gossip. Those things which are clearly taught as sin by the Apostles.

The gospel is 'good news' because it means freedom, freedom from the curse of the Law of Moses. And freedom to pursue godliness because of the empowering of the indwelling Holy Spirit.

May God Bless