1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Actors & Actresses

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Johnv, Jun 28, 2004.

1. 4xBlessed

4xBlessed New Member

Clifton Davis - Amen!
    M.C. Hammer
    I think the guy who played Willis on "Diff'rent Strokes" is a Christian now.
    Kim Fields - The Facts of Life
    Clay Aiken

2. danrusdad

danrusdad New Member

I would have reservations about a "Christian" actor who had no qualms about openly, willingly sinning on screen. Regardless of whether their "character" is supposed to sin, it's still the actor doing it (cursing, physical relations with someone not their spouse, etc.) Do you think Jesus will say to them, "It's OK, I know you were just acting." ?!?! Well, if that's all it takes to get off the hook for satisfying the desires of the flesh, let's all be actors!

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Generally, they're not. They're playing the part of a character who's sinning.

I go back to my so-far-unanswered question. Was is a sin for me to play Shylock in my high school production of "The Merchant of Venice"?

4. danrusdad

danrusdad New Member

You misunderstand...

Acting like you are stealing and/or lying is different. The person you are acting with doesn't actually own the prop, so its not truly stealing. However, using foul language is using foul language. Further, having an actual physical relationship with someone on the screen/stage is still engaging in fornication. That's where I see the difference...

Can't answer the Shylock question; what sin did he do?

5. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

In 1741, Charles Macklin presented a Shylock that stressed his villainy and avarice. Macklin invested his Shylock with a malicious vitality that shocked audiences into seeing Shylock as a significant dramatic character. A kind of passionate realism that Macklin injected into the character worked against the grandiose folk caricature of the Jew. In short, Macklin's Shylock was a Jew who was still evil, but not an evil fantastical monster. The evil Jew could be the man next door.

Audiences often had tremendous difficulty separating Macklin the man from his character of Shylock, because many thought that Macklin himself was something of a devil. The fact that Macklin had killed a fellow actor in a dispute over a beard probably did not help his public image.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/7221/macklin.htm

I can't answer your question either John, I am not familiar with 'Shylock', but he doesn't seem a very nice fellow.

Do YOU think you should have played him John?

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Hey, it was Shakespeare! [​IMG] I enjoyed playing the character. He was unchristian, duplicitous, greedy, self-centered, and devoid of apathy. None of the qualities I myself possess [​IMG] . It was a great experience playing a classic bad guy. I learned a lot. I'd do it again. And no, I can find no scripture to suggest that me in the role was inappropriate. Sheesh, many churches have passion plays. Is it wrong for a church member to play the part of Herod or Pilate? Of course not. Neither is it wrong for a Christian to play Darth Vader, or Dr Octopus, or Sauramon, or King Kong, etc.