1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian anthropology

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Nov 29, 2007.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do you believe in...

dichotomy
    trichotomy
    monism

Which, and why?

2. Allan

Allan Active Member

Not exactly sure what you are looking for here Web.

3. kmichael

kmichael New Member

I am gonna take a stab and guess you are wanting to know our view on the nature of man?

Aside form being created imago dei, I believe we are trinitary in nature. Mind, Spirit/Soul, and Body. We emcompass the intellectual, spiritual and physical realms, so to speak. The Spirit being the most powerful but the Body being most sinful. Of course the mind controls it all.

I am sure that was not what you wanted, but its past my bedtime, so I shall now retire...

:sleeping_2: ~K

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I tend to be dichotomic because I think the two references to the trichotomic view are only meant to be emphatic. But the scriptural data tend to favor the dichotomic, since soul is often synonymous with spirit.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I should have probably added "human anthropology". This is in regards to the nature of man.

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

Then I would go with Tri.

Though scripture does interchange soul and spirit as the spiritual aspect of man it is also distinctive one from another. And specifically so when scripture states:
    Or the NASB
    And the ESV for good measure:

Notice that every pair mentioned is distinct unto itself but works and is almost inseperable from the other. And if you will notice the 'soul' and the 'spirit' are listed there in as two distinct aspects that work as part of the whole. One is basically useless without the other but is distinct from the other with it's own attributes and functions.

BTW - I forgot to add the body, thus making it soul/spirit/body - a trichotomy.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I've always seen the wording in that text as soul and spirit...and...joints and marrow, with immaterial being listed together (soul/spirit) and material together (joints/marrow), otherwise, why would the word of God need to divide joints and marrow? It seems the context would be in dividing the spiritual from the flesh.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I see we are on the same side of the fence again :)

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Yes, every now and then.