1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Bush Haters?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by OldRegular, Aug 27, 2005.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

President Bush is one if the very few Presidents in recent history who has openly proclaimed his faith in Jesus Christ as his Savior. Why is it that on this supposedly Christian Forum there are so many people who hate President Bush so much and do all they can to tear him down?

Jesus Christ has told us:

John 13:34. A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

John 13:35. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

John 15:12. This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

John 15:17. These things I command you, that ye love one another.

Obviously there are some democrats out there who do not agree with President Bush's policies but that is irrevelant to the command of Jesus Christ.

2. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Okay, since you used the word, I challenge you to show us anyone who has stated that they "hate" President Bush. Please provide us with links to the quotes where it was indicated that the person in question has professed a hatred for President Bush.

After all, you are the one who made the claim........

3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

"President Bush is one if the very few Presidents in recent history who has openly proclaimed his faith in Jesus Christ as his Savior."

Links?

4. OldRegular

If you can't determine the hatred from the tenor of the anti Bush posts use of the word "hate" would not convince you.

5. OldRegular

I don't need links. Can you name the Presidents over the last 75 years, other than Bush, who have openly proclaimed Jesus Christ as their Savior.

6. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Can you provide a link to George Bush openly proclaiming Jesus Christ as his saviour?

7. Frances

Frances New Member

President Bush is hated because of the power he possesses.
    Those who oppose him are those who envy his position.

8. Baptist in Richmond

Nope, sorry:
    YOU introduced the word "hate" with this discussion. Now it is up to YOU to produce any quotes where someone specifically used the word "hate" to describe their feelings for President Bush.

Now kindly show us where anyone (other than YOU) used the word "hate." Hey: you started this discussion.

Regards,
    BiR

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I have not seen any posts that express hate for Bush; some may not like his policies.

And because he has proclaimed himself as a born-again Christian (I believe Carter did this, too), then all the more reason to get upset when he does things like say Islam is a great religion and the Koran has God's words. He did say those things. I've posted the quotes before.

Just because he is a Christian does not mean Christians cannot disagree with him or even dislike some of his statements or policies.

10. Baptist in Richmond

Um, yeah: you do.
    Don't make claims if you cannot back them up.

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I have seen no one who hates President Bush.

Some do not like his policies.

Would like to see some evidence of Bush hatred.

Could the statement also be made that they are too many Bush worshippers on a "supposedly Christian board?"

12. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

President Bush is hated because of the power he possesses.
    Those who oppose him are those who envy his position.

I do not agree with the majority of Bush's policies, or statements, for that matter. However, I do NOT envy his position or power. But in this same vein, I do not hate him either. He most likely believes that he is doing the best for our country, and although I don't agree with him, on some issues, I still respect him as the President, and pray for him like I would anybody else.

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I don't hate President Bush any more than I hate President Clinton.

14. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

Page 546-547 "The Family" Kitty Kelly
    Random House ISBN 0-385-50324-5

Ever since George had come to Jesus in April 1984,his religion had ruled his life. He became
    born-again after the bottom dropped out of the oil
    boom in Midland,Texas. When the National Bank of
    Midland, the largest Independent bank in the nation,failed, fortunes crashed and overnight
    millionaires tumbled into life-wrecking debt."What
    happened in this town was a catastrophe,"said Bill
    Meyers, one of George's friends from Community Bible Study."Everyone was affected."In a desperate
    effort to rescue lives and restore morale,some of the church elders invited the evangelist Arthur
    Blessit to stage a revival.Among born-agains,
    Blessit was known as the man who had wheeled a ninety-six-pound cross of Jesus into sixty countries on six continents, making a place for himself in the THE GUINNESS BOOK OF RECORDS.

Posters around Midland advertised the meeting as
    "A Mission of Love and Joy to the Permian Basin"
    Loudspeakers on flatbed trucks exhorted the populace to gather at the Chaparral Center in the evening" to experience the love of God, the grace
    of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the fellowship of
    the Holy Spirit." Residents lined the streets
    during the day and watched Blessitt roll his
    twelve-foot-high cross through the boomtown gone
    bust. Many bowed their heads as he passed. One
    little boy shouted," It's the Lord Jesus on wheels!"

I was speaking during the day all around the city
    and carrying the cross in the streets," said Blessitt."It was the focus point of the city of
    Midland for that week with the meeting being
    broadcast on the local radio."

George felt uncomfortable about attending the
    revival, but he listened to the broadcast.On
    the second day he asked his friend Don Pogue
    to arrange a meeting with Blessitt."I want to
    talk to him about Jesus", George said.

The three men met the next day at the coffee shop
    in the Best Western hotel. As Blessitt recalled
    the meeting, George began with a few pleasantries, and then plunged in.

"I want to talk to you about how to know Jesus
    and how to follow Him."

“I was quite shocked at his direct and sincere approach,” said Blessitt. “I slowly leaned forward and lifted the Bible that was in my hand and asked him about his relationship with the Lord: ‘If you died this moment do you have the assurance you would go to heaven?’” “No.”

“Then let me explain to you how you can have that assurance and know for sure that you are saved.”

“I’d like that.”

The evangelist read from the Book of Romans. He quoted Mark, John and Luke to the vice-president’s son, who held hands, repented his sins, and proclaimed Jesus Christ as his saviour.

"It was an awesome and glorious moment,"recalled
    Blessitt. He later wrote in his diary on April 3,1984:" A good and powerful day--Led Vice Presidents Bush's son to Jesus--George Bush Jr!!
    This is great.Glory to God.But I won't speak about it."

That coffee-shop conversion eventually led to
    George to give up tobacco,alcohol, and drugs
    at the age of 40, illustrating the wisdom of
    William James, who said" the only radical remedy
    I know for dipsomania is religiomania.

In his memoir, A CHARGE TO KEEP,George W. credited his family's good friend the Reverend
    Billy Graham with planting "a mustard seed in my
    soul" He did not mention coming to Jesus with
    the flamboyant Blessitt and his cross on wheels
    ,figuring, perhaps, that Graham was more
    palatable to churchgoing voters.

Now let push back an be fair and hear it from
    Arthur Blessitt himself.

Blessitt/Bush

[​IMG]

snippet:
    wrote him several times and we spoke on the phone a time or two during the next year or two. He was on my newsletter mailing also. I was carrying the cross around the world and gone sometimes for months at a time. I lost contact but often prayed for him. I would read of him first as president of the baseball team the Texas Rangers and then as Governor of Texas. As news of his interest in running for President of the United States appeared in the news I read of George W. Bush speaking openly of his following Jesus and having received Christ as his Savior. I was thrilled and kept praying for him.

In his book “A charge to keep my journey to the White House” by George W. Bush pages 136-139, he tells in quite some detail about a visit with Rev. Billy Graham in Maine where he says “Reverend Graham planted a mustard seed in my soul”.

snippet:
    I was trembling at the glorious work of the Holy Spirit. My wife Denise did not attend, as it would have cost another thousand for her.

George W. Bush, the oilman I prayed with to receive Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord on April 3, 1984 has gone on to become President of the United States of America. All glory to God.

I am publishing this on my website at www.blessitt.com. Why?

1. President George W. Bush has openly written and spoken about his meeting with Billy Graham. Where he talked about Jesus and following Him.

2. He has told of his Bible study with Don Evans and the Midland men’s Bible study group.

3. President Bush has openly witnessed to and prayed with others to receive Christ as Savior as he did at a recent largee gathering of a thousand or so in Washington D.C. This was well reported by the news there and by eyewitnesses.

4. President Bush has met and prayed with world leaders in the White House.

5. The president is not ashamed of his relationship with Jesus and is open in his witness.

6. I want to encourage people in witnessing for Jesus! I have always heard it said ‘the person you lead to Jesus may someday be President of the United States. Well it’s true!

7. Be faithful in sharing Jesus with everyone. Jesus said “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every person”. Mark 16:15

8. I pray that this very report will result in others believing and becoming true followers of Jesus.

9. During the years of my walk around the world I have met and prayed with many leaders. One of the most public was with Yasser Arafat in Beirut, Lebanon during the war in 1982. CNN TV saw me praying with him in the streets and filmed it and reported it around the world.

10. Billy Graham and I walked in the battlefields of Belfast, Northern Ireland in 1972 and prayed with people. He even took a cameraman along to record the walk and witness.

11. I carried the cross in Midland. Had prayer in the city center and did a crosswalk. Often when I am carrying the cross people get in touch with me and want to talk and pray. So I consider this as just another part of the crosswalk witness. Along the way of the cross I have prayed with thousands, even millions of people. Many are household names and other unknown outside their own family and friends or area. To me it matters not. In my books, videos and website I tell experiences of praying with all kinds of people around the world the known and unknown.

12. May God bless President George W. Bush in every way and my God bless each of you who read this report.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6014570/

Though he was always somewhat religious, Bush said, a turning point came in a private talk with the Rev. Billy Graham along the coast of Maine in 1985. Graham's words planted the "mustard seed in my soul" that eventually led to a decision to "recommit my heart to Jesus Christ," he wrote.

15. Speed Gracer

Speed Gracer New Member

Newsbreak: God is not a Republican or Democrat. Ok, everybody have a great night!!!

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I type in "George W. Bush, a born again Christian" and I found many links, here is but one. George W. Bush is a Born again Christian

Okay, you want a second one, try this one at Truth or Fiction

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Your first link also includes Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter.

18. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I type in "George W. Bush, a born again Christian" and I found many links, here is but one. George W. Bush is a Born again Christian

Okay, you want a second one, try this one at Truth or Fiction
    </font>[/QUOTE]That first list is also (and sadly) short.

19. Baptist in Richmond

I am still waiting for OldRegular to offer even one quote (other than his own) where someone claims to "hate" President Bush.

"Hate" is a strong word, and the claim that someone has used it should be supported. What does the Bible say about bearing false witness?

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I don't think it is a false witness. Many conservative evangelicals think that anyone who critizes the president or his policies hates him.