1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian businesses

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by allenm, Aug 4, 2008.

1. allenm

allenm New Member

I'm curious about "for profit", not church affiliated businesses that operate Christ centered.

Do Christian business openly pray with their staff, encourage staff to look for opportunities to share God's word with any business contact, and measure the moral obligations of the company against the Bible?

Does this rub against legal issues like accusation of employment discrimination?

I'm trying to think of a "for profit" company that might fit this mold - would Lifeway (the Christian publisher) be a good example of a "for profit" company that operates Christ centered? Does Lifeway encourage sharing Christ in their daily business interactions?

I'm in the IT industry. Does anyone know of a successful IT business that operates Christ centered? Again, does that rub against worldly problems of discrimination?

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

Most I've seen are not what you described. But I know one personally that is. The scrapbook store I go too is owned by a christian woman, she is wonderful. Every morning she prays with employees before opening (employees are christians too), she prays before leaving home every morning for her customers, many by name, I know I've been on her by name list before, and I trust she is actually praying. She is easily the nicest person I know, she loves her customers and treats everyone as if they were close friends and family, which they are to her. She is by far the reason I visit that store (I could get better variety and price on line). Sadly thought being in her 60's she is selling the store as her and her husband want to spend soem time traveling. But she is only selling to another christian, she expects the store to be run in a godly manner.
    I am sure theres nothing wrong with praying with employees, but if all aren't christians it should be done prehaps in the office, otherwise it could be illegal, and if not, it is wrong the way a non christian would be treated. Christ centered does not mean obnoxious and shoving the gospel at people who don't want to hear it, which is employees and customers.

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

The dental lab that pulled Dale's teeth is Christ-centered. All of the employees who work there are Christians.

Before the dentist pulled Dale's teeth, he asked Dale if he could say a prayer for him first. That is the kind of business I like!

Now, he has a lot of lost people who come to him because his office is always packed. He asks each and every patient if he could say a prayer for them. If they say yes, he does, if they say no, he says one for himself silently. :)

4. queenbee

queenbee Member

I work for a 'non' profit agency in my city. It's always been highly regarded in the community, namely because the founders based the agency on Christian principles. Everyone from Directors to staff must be Christian and willing to sign a statement of faith before working there. A lot of our volunteers are Christians as well. Staff try their best to have morning devotionals/prayer each day because we know that a) it starts the day off right and b) we need God's support & guidance in all that we do dealing with those less fortunate than ourselves. Our prayer times together strengthen us, cause us to act more graciously towards each other and clients and puts our work in proper perspective - this agency and our work, exists because God has blessed its ministry. 'To God be the glory' is inscribed right on the floor at the front door. I am proud (not conceited type) to be working there.

#4 queenbee, Aug 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2008
  5. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I'm in IT also and I know of no IT business that operates this way. I suspect there would be a problem of discrimination.

6. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

There would be definate legal issues with some of the practices you mention. All employers must adhere to the guidelines of federal statutes regulating hiring of personnel. Which includes factor regarding discrimination. Since you cannot discriminate anybody based on their creed to openly pray could only be acceptable if every creed represented was able to pray openly in their manner which would limit the "christian" aspect of the business environment. The other issue is one of harassment. If open prayer offends any employee then a law suite could be brought against the business for harrassment and discrimination. However, business can have christian operations by following the business applications spoken of in scriptures. Such as do not participate in preditory lending practices. Use of just scales and not to cheat any one. Don't accept bribes. Perform the very best service or product for the customer. Give to charaties etc.... The actions of a business is a witness in and of itself.

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it is very small business firms being considered here, some may not hire enough people for civil rights laws to take effect (I think that number is 8 for the federal level, but in some states it's 5 or less). And the nature of the business might make a difference, too. But if the business is not overtly religious in its products or services, and the number of associates is larger or growing, then there is certainly a chance of harassment or discimination legalities. But voluntary participation in group prayer or Bible study would be allowed, unless a case could be made the absence or indifference to such determined one's standing in the firm. So there is reason to be cautious.

I am one who is skeptical about businesses-- like self-employed contractors or repair services-- that use the fish symbol and want to advertise as a "Christian" business. They are depending on that symbol or image to get an advantage over the competition, and may charge more for the same service than their competitors based on that premise, while the way they conduct themselves and their practices are no different.

8. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree with your skepticism. It has been my experience (especially in the Southeastern United States) that too many firms attempt to attract christian clientele by representing themselves as christian ( I wonder how different this is then some of the practices in the middle-ages?). Then to in turn be dishonest. Not compensate employees fairly. Engage in predatory practices often leaving their customers destitute. Often there is misrepresentation of services or products and sales are made and like the romans they brush it off with caveat emptor.

How many play with records to show small income for tax purposes yet manipulate the same records to show a large income to the sharholders? How many "christian" businesses do this I wonder. Christian business should first behave ethically and judiciously before putting "fish" stickers on their advertisements.

9. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right. When I see someone advertise in a Christian Yellowpages a red flag of warning goes up. I have seen too many dishonest businessmen/woman who advertise.

I have a friend who will always hire a workman or small company that says they are Christian and say all the right words. She has been repeatedly ripped off by these people. It is a shame.

If Dante is correct and Hell has many levels I feel there will be a special level for these people.

10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've often thought the the IT department in my company would be rightly condemned to the very depths of hell.

Of course there is always the chance thet they might repent of their evil ways.

Hiring can't be based upon ones religious faith in the U.S.
    it's considered a form of discrimination.
    Religious institutions have some latitude.

Rob

#10 Deacon, Aug 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2008
  11. allenm

allenm New Member

RE: Impersonating Christian Values for Business gain
    I was trying to find a passage that highlighted the the devil "lurking". Found John 8:44, which will do the job :)
    John 8:44
    You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

I have been progressing through reading the Bible in a year
    (http://eword.gospelcom.net/year/31/cdec01.htm). Started in December and I'm still in the Old Testament = : )
    I as read, I create mental picture stories of ancient history, back in the Old Testament times. I then flash-forward and see/hear news bytes of Muslim societies and they shut down business for each of their daily prayers.

Imagine going to McDonalds (I purposely used McDonalds because of their recent headlines) and seeing a sign on the door saying "We are praying. Come join or wait 20 minutes".

Back to the IT business topic:
    Imagine a large IT company, lets use Cisco, that holds their business standards to the Christian bible. Would Cisco make an impact on society?

Wendy's founder was a Christian, wasn't he? Did he apply Christian standards to daily operation of Wendy's?

Ooh. How about Chick'Fla? <sp>
    How do they deal with secular/legal pressure from "the world".

It's good to know that there are small businesses that hold themselves as an example.

Thank you for contributing to this topic :1_grouphug: