1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Civil Disobedience

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Ancora Imparo, May 2, 2005.

1. Ancora Imparo

Ancora Imparo New Member

I agree that that is a real danger. It is a principal that could be (and is) easily abused. That is why it should never be undertaken lightly.

But I disagree that we can say it is never Christian. Although it can, and in most cases should be, conducted civilly, I don't think we are always required to be 'civil'(i.e. polite) in the face of evil or wrongdoing.(Our Lord was not always considered 'polite' in his dealings with wrongdoers) And yes, it is disobedience, but the question is: disobedient to what or to whom? We just need to make sure our actions (or lack thereof) are not in disobedience to our Lord

Francis Schaeffer has much to say on this topic in his book 'A Christian Manifesto'. Interesting reading, Brothers and Sisters.

Though disagreeing with me on some points, I really do appreciate your thoughtful perspectives on this. It really has been very helpful to me in understanding what is probably my pastor's point of view, as well.

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Ancora, I think Romans 13 is addressing ALL governments. It doesn't matter if it's evil, harsh, or kind. God does not tell us to obey only kind and harsh governments, but not evil ones.

And I think our gov't is a pussycat compared to Rome. I don't call the gladiator games and persecution of Christians and others harsh; it was cruel and evil.

Well, going out of town so won't be posting for awhile.

3. Ancora Imparo

Ancora Imparo New Member

Marcia,
    I agree that Romans 13 does point out the fact that all governments have been appointed by God. We do indeed get the government we deserve. And as such, our govermnent, no matter how bad, should be recognized as an authority over us and respected. One way or another God is dispensing judgement on wrongdoers through their leaders---whether they rule justly or with tyranny. However, those leaders derive their authority from God and therefore the Bible leaves no room for doubt as to who ulitmately should be obeyed when the two come into conflict with one another.

Any human institution is going to have some degree of corruption. Rome was a cruel master--and there was much evil in it at the time of Paul's writing to the Romans. But the aggressive persecution of Christians for not worshiping Caesar had not yet begun. Paul is telling them as Matthew Henry comments: "In the general course of human affairs, rulers are not a terror to honest, quiet, and good subjects, but to evil-doers. Such is the power of sin and corruption, that many will be kept back from crimes only by the fear of punishment. Thou hast the benefit of the government, therefore do what thou canst to preserve it, and nothing to disturb it. This directs private persons to behave quietly and peaceably where God has set them, 1Ti 2:1, 2. Christians must not use any trick or fraud. All smuggling, dealing in contraband goods, withholding or evading duties, is rebellion against the express command of God. Thus honest neighbours are robbed, who will have to pay the more; and the crimes of smugglers, and others who join with them, are abetted."

There are no easy answers, here. Our, mostly, scholarly, Christian founding fathers found no scriptural conflict in their decision to throw off what they considered un-Godly, unjust rulers. The American Revolution occurred just after a great spiritual awakening and revival in the colonies. Rebellion is the ultimate 'civil (i.e. related to government) disobedience' and I am not advocating that for us. Fortunately, we are still a long way from a government like Nazi Germany. I have my concerns, but, I am praying hard that we will never get there.

But the bottom line is that scripture should not be interpreted in isolation. It must be studied in depth and taken as a whole. Simply reading verses, out of their biblical and historical context, can lead to all sorts of confusion and misunderstanding. I'm not stating here, uncategorically, that I am competely right in my understanding of Romans 13--just that I believe that their is room here for honest, righteous Christian disagreement. This is not a simple issue. If the founding fathers were in error, I am glad that God used their error to bring about a nation that, with all it's weaknesses, has been such a light to the nations--spreading the Gospel and inspiring freedom.

What I hope to do now is to use what I have learned from your perspective to lovingly and respectfully address my pastor and point out another viewpoint on this and that this issue really does, in my opinion, fall into the area of 'disputable matters'. Hopefully, he did not really mean no civil disobedience for Christians, whatsoever, but that, as you believe, it should only be applied only when the law directly commands the Believer to commit an act contrary to God's Law. But I would like him to understand that other Christians believe that obeying God rather than Man also includes the willingness to stand up and 'submit to the authorities' by letting them arrest you for attempting to do right (just getting onesself arrested for sticking your toe over the line would be pointless & resisting arrest would be un-Christlike). And others, like Dietrich Bonhoeffer, believed a Christian is obligated to go even further than that when evil has taken complete control. We are told to turn the other cheek when we are struck, but I do not think the Spirit of Our Lord would tell us to stand by when someone else is beaten.

Again, Marcia--and Brother Edwards--for helping me to understand another perspective on this. You have been an answer to prayer. I hope you have (or had--depending on when you read this) a nice trip, Marcia! [​IMG]

In Him,
    'Ana'

4. Ancora Imparo

Ancora Imparo New Member

Oops!
    That should have read:
    "Again, Marcia--and Brother Edwards--Thanks so much for helping me to understand another perspective on this."

(And thanks, too, Marcia, for the tips on how to use the quote functions!) [​IMG]

5. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I'd have to agree with Marcia in her opinion. And Anc, when you stated about standing by if another is being beaten, I think it would be a wise move to remove that person that is being beaten from his/her assailant. That, I think, would be the best move if ever put in that situation.

6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One's general attitude should be that of submission. However, if the demands of God conflict with submitting, then one MUST NOT submit.

Even so, I say allow a person's conscience be his guide in this matter because we have no clear cut biblical guideline as to when we should rebel or submit.

7. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

Lost my license once for speeding on a motor cylce.

In a remote spot in the Snowdonia mountain district in Wales. Policeman parked up doing paperwork at 7.30 in the morning, think I passed him at about 115mph, he caught up with me about 8 miles down the road.

I broke the law and I paid for it.

I had just fitted some vaccum carbs and high lift cams to a bike I built from scratch as a project. And went for a weekend away.

David

8. Ancora Imparo

Ancora Imparo New Member

Very well put.
    I wish I could be so concise---but that's just not one of my gifts. [​IMG]

9. Ancora Imparo

Ancora Imparo New Member

And well you should have! I've been to that part of Wales. You should have gotten another ticket just for rushing past all that gorgeous display of God's creation! [​IMG]

10. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

And well you should have! I've been to that part of Wales. You should have gotten another ticket just for rushing past all that gorgeous display of God's creation! :) </font>[/QUOTE]Yeah, it is nice, one of my favourite spots, Pyrénées are better though. Not proud of it but its true. Confess your sins to one another. :rolleyes:

11. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Isn't the answer to this how you go about that disobedience?

Daniel is a perfect example of a man of God who engaged in civil disobedience in a godly manner.

We have to put God first, and that may require a little civil disobedience, but carry out that disobedience in a way that makes men want to learn more about your Christ, not in a way that makes them hate you, and thus turn further from Christ in the process.

12. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that goes back to a prior statement of what would/should happen if the government/ruler/etc., makes things illegal specifically FOR believers. In Daniels case he wasn't doing anything he hadn't done before, he wasn't doing anything "new", it was just that the other presidents and overseers were so jealous of him that they thought they had found a way to have him killed, which proved otherwise in the end.

13. Ancora Imparo

Ancora Imparo New Member

I agree. The ends never justify the means. We have all cringed at the sight of people protesting in the name of the Lord and behaving in a very un-Christlike manner.
    And I agree that, gone about in a Godly manner, there will be those you effect in a positive way. But unfortunately the reactions of men aren't always going to be a good guide as to what is right or wrong. Look at Jesus. He raises Lazarus from the dead. Many go away rejoicing and praising God---others run to report him to the religious leaders. There were always be those who hate people doing God's work. When Jesus preached there were always those who turned away. I'm just saying that untimately it boils down to studying the Word, looking at Christ's examples and praying for the Holy Spirit's guidance as to what we should do and how we should it, regardless of the reactions of men.

14. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ancora Imparo, you said "The ends never justify the means."

Do you intend this statement to be universally applicable?

If so, if a madman threatened to kill your neighbor and wanted to know if you knew where she was, would you lie to save her life?

15. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

In the United States during the 1800's there was enacted what is commonly referred to as the Fugitive Slave Law. This law not only forbade the harboring of a runaway slave, but it also required that person to return that slave to the proper legal authorities who, in turn, were required to return that runaway slave to his/her "rightful owner."

That was THE LAW!

If you were a Christian living back in that time period, would you have fully complied with that law?

Earlier than that, during the administration of President John Adams, there was passed a series of laws commonly referred to as the Alien & Sedition Laws. One of these laws forbade any citizen from criticizing the Adams Administration (presumably for any matter whatsoever).

If you were a Christian living during that period of time, would you have fully complied with that law?

These are just two examples from our own history of laws that were enacted.

Fortunately, both were revoked after a period of time, but while they were on the books, if you didn't fully comply with them, you were in direct violation of federal law.

What would YOU have done in either (or both) of these situations? Please cite specific NT scriptures to justify your position.

16. Ancora Imparo

Ancora Imparo New Member

What to do if the authority specifically outlaws spreading the Gospel or praying is easy. Everyone has been in agreement that they would stand up and violate a law that commanded them to do something contrary to God's Law.

The little more difficult question for some seems to be what to do about unjust laws that effect others. Can we honor the spirit of Christ that tells us to love our neighbor as ourselves and do nothing just because it doesn't happen to effect us, directly? This is precisely what happened in Nazi Germany. If we lived in a country where we were free to worship, free to pray, free to earn a living, free to live-- but knew that there were those who were others who were being persecuted and killed--should we violate the law to help them (if all other methods had been exhausted)?

And even if we all agree the answer is yes, then people begin arguing about whether or not certain specific acts of civil disobedience really do help others or are just well meaning people breaking the law and violating scripture.

We should be very slow to judge these things.

17. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why only NT? We aren't Marcionites here, are we?

2Ti 3:16 (ESV) All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness

The Old Testament has several beautiful examples of the principles we are to uphold.

Mic 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

I believe this scripture is a good guide for determining what to do in situations--and it's from the OT.

As far as the slave example goes, I'm not sure what I would do. I honestly couldn't tell you unless I were in the moment. I don't have scripture to back me up because I don't have a course of action.

As far as the second scenario, I probably would not have criticized the goverment because I would not have wanted to risk the punishment, unless I felt compelled to do so in order to fulfill a higher obligation.

18. Ancora Imparo

Ancora Imparo New Member

Ah! I forgot--'Never say never!' [​IMG]
    By the ends never (I should have said rarely) justifies the means, I simply meant that we cannot justify bad or evil behavior because of our good intentions. Since I wouldn't consider lying to save someone's life bad or evil behavior--the ends, in that case did justify the means. But you must admit that that is a rare exception.
    My point was that we can't go around acting in any manner we choose simply because we have a righteous intent.

19. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

We should all thank the Lord that some of the early Christians delved in a little civl disobedience. Meeting to discuss Christ was punishable by death, but meet they did.

In some nations like China or Saudia Arabia, it is still punishable by death to spread the message of Christ.

We need to go about such things in a Christ-like manner though. When they came to take Christ in the garden, He did not react with hate or rage. We should not neither.

20. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    However, we must remember that Christ's death was to fulfill scripture and to redeem people for God's eternal purposes. If we died, our deaths would not be so weighty.