1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Dance Music?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by gekko, May 13, 2006.

1. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

In what bible verse do you read that "rock style music" is bad or sinful? Where do you pull your opinion from, speaking of the music only.

Now, there is a lot of music I don't personaly like. I just don't, but that doesn't make it bad. With the examples that have been mentioned in this thread, I can't see where the problem would be.

Jamie

2. gekko

gekko New Member

you focus not on the inside of it all SFIC. you focus on the outside.

there is a distinct difference between secular and non-secular music - can you guess what it is?

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If you are speaking strictly from a Biblical point of view, then you have to ask yourself: For what purposes was music used in the Bible.
    1. Worship
    2. Call to war, and other military purposes.
    3. Idolatry
    4. Amusement--always condemned or associated with idolatry.
    5. soothing of the spirit or soul.
    6. teaching and admonition.

The style of rock is used primarily for entertainment, not for worship. Putting Christian words to secular music does not make the final product Christian. Constantine tried something similar to that in the fourth century. He paganized Christianity and thus began the Catholic Church with all of its idols. You secularize Christian hymns and end up with a secular product appealing to the flesh and the world and not to God.

God does not need entertainment, nor does he condone it. In reference to music our purpose is not to entertain, but to worship, praise, and even to educate (Col.3:16). Rock doesn't do that. It appeals to the flesh and the world. It goes outside the bounds that the Bible has set for the purpose of music.
    DHK

4. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Although I somewhat agree with you DHK, in that music in general can be a bad thing. There is a lot of music on the shelves now-a-days I wouldn't buy or listen to because it's bad in my opinion. Or I don't like the style. I don't buy rap music, and I don't really like country, does that make it wrong for others to listen to it?

However, the music that was, or has been mentioned in this thread I can't see it as bad. The artist's that perform this music seem to have an open relationship to God. One of them, even tells you a bit about how each song came about and where he pulled the inspiration from, quoting from the Bible.

I see that as a good thing. A way to minster to people.

Now, I am sure we all can agree that everything that starts out good doesn't mean it will always be good, or that things that are "bad" can't be used to create good. I quote the bad because every's opinion about what is or isn't bad is somewhat different.

I think it depends alot on the age of the person we are talking to. If you asked my parents, good southern baptist's if they liked the music mentioned in this thread they would say no. But, me, also a good southern baptist, I say yes. It's a generation thing. It doesn't mean anyone is "more right" than the other.

And now, this BB has given me yet another topic to study in my Bible to seek the full truth. :) I love this place!

Jamie

5. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Hard Rock is a very good motiff for either a rebuke or a call to war...

Both of which are applicable to the Christian Service...

A Soft Rock Ballad is a good motiff to share a testimony or a teaching...

Also, a part of Christian Service...

6. standingfirminChrist

Cain's altar may have been built right, but he used that which was cursed to offer sacrifices to God; and God rejected it.

You cannot please God using christian lyrics on an altar of rock and roll. God will reject it.

7. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I'm going to have to join Joshua on this one. It seems you have your mind made up, and the opinion you have is not open to discussion.

I enjoy the music mention in this thread very much. I listen to much of this style of music, where as before I listened to all kinds of music Rock, Pop, and such. I love music, always have, and if I can worship God while listening to something I enjoy, I can't see the harm.

I do praise the Lord when I listen to my music, and if my music choice is different from yours or others, then that doesn't make one right or wrong, it's just a matter of opinion, taste and generation gap I am sure.

AS I have mentioned before in this thread, I enjoy this BB because it helps me create "study lists" to study and explore. Sometimes in the study I find I was right and other times I find I was wrong, but I am always willing to study and listen and be open to the idea that I may be wrong.

I feel you do not have this trait. So with that, I will continue to listen to my music and other music I find that Praises the Lord.

Jamie

8. gekko

gekko New Member

God made music. God will be glorified through the Godly music that He has put on His children's hearts.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

SFIC, your pharasaical ways continue to amaze me. You hold yourself up so high, as YOU are able to discern what is godly and what is worldly. Well, there are nearly 7000 others here on the BB that claim the same thing. You are not the authority, the Bible is. You do not receive special revelation from God that we do not.

As far as "feeding the flesh" is concerned, this is as gnostic of a statement as there is when using it to debunk music style. Enjoying something does not equal "worldly" a.k.a. SIN if the Bible is silent on it. Music style, and like and dislike for it, is no different than different food preferences, clothing preferences, sports preferences, haircut (and facial hair) preferences, etc.

10. gekko

gekko New Member

ok. if you wish. you can listen to some instrumental music here - its not professional - and it was not recorded professionaly either :) ----> http://www.myspace.com/acousticwaves

now - is that christian? or not christian?

11. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After reading every posting in this thread, I just can’t understand why one part of the body of Christ has to battle with the other. After 20+ years in music ministry (and now a pastor), I’ve always believed that musical style is the most divisive thing in the church. Well, next to the thermostat setting.

So, with that being said, here’s my opinion: Musical style seems to be the issue. I believe music is a tool used to promote a message. It’s only the package. So, the lyrics make it “good” or “bad.” But then enters our own likes and dislikes. Some feel that if it’s contemporary, and Gaither didn’t write it, it’s bad. Others feel that if it was written before 1800 it’s bad. Now, if it has that strong “southern-gospel-quartet-feel” it’s good. Again, we’re looking at the package, not the contents of the package.

I think that we need to make a distinction between what is and isn’t appropriate for a worship service, and much of that depends on the audience. Some of what I listen to in the privacy of my 1992 Chevy S-10 Blazer (don’t laugh – it’s paid for!) which I love to listen to is not appropriate to lead my church in worship.

Well, I could go on, bet le me close with this. Someone once told me this – I can’t remember who, or I’d give them the credit (I think that’s another thread): “Some who say ‘I know what I like’ really only like what they know.” They like what they grew up with, and their uncomfortable with what they are unfamiliar with. But thankfully, we serve a God who loves to hear his children worship Him in any language, to any tune!

12. gekko

gekko New Member

amen SBC...

you said "1992 Chevy S-10 Blazer" what? i have the same year (i believe - if not its a '91) and its the s-10! beautiful trucks aren't they? is it a two door or four door?

13. gekko

gekko New Member

again - i will ask the question: "there is a distinct difference between secular and non-secular music - can you guess what it is?"

14. standingfirminChrist

gekko,

if you are fishing for the word lyrics, you are fishing in a stagnant pond. Lyrics do not make music.

15. gekko

gekko New Member

lets look at instrumentals.

one cannot determine whether it is secular - or whether it is christian.
    one does not have proof that it is solely secular.
    one does not have proof that it is solely christian.

the music notes are neutral. its not one or the other. and its not both. music notes are neutral in the matter.
    God made music. no?

now. what differentiates between secular and christian music? (not talking about the notes) --- that's right --> the lyrics.
    if there is a song with the chords G-C-D and lyrics like that of eminem to them - it is secular - secular wants God out - that's why they call it secular.
    if there is a song with the chords G-C-D and the lyrics are that of praise and adoration towards God Almighty - it is christian.

the lyrics - you can determine if the lyrics are either secular or christian.
    the music notes - you cannot. for they are neutral. neither secular or christian. it is simply a way to deliver the lyrics.

i can send you something either in a white or a brown envelope - different package - but the same thing that i want to send you would be in either of those packages.

christian artists want to send out a Godly message - the content.
    the music style is the package.

secular artists want to send out an ungodly message - the content.
    the music style is the package.

music notes are universal. lyrics are not.
    it is the lyrics that determine whether music is secular or not.

now for those that are into the instrumentals or techno area - i believe it depends on where the person's heart it at. you'd have to meet with the person and personally ask why they put out that kind of music.
    please dont speak for them and say that they are putting it out for fleshly desires. you do not know that. neither do i. so we cannot say either way.

for an artist like Aviad Cohen - he is a christian - and puts out Godly lyrics to a package of electronica/dance.

for an artist like Michael Watson (http://www.myspace.com/livintheglow) - he is a christian - and puts out Godly lyrics to a package of acoustic/surf.

for an artist like Metallica - they are not christian - and put out ungodly lyrics to a package of heavy metal.

for an artist like Demon Hunter - they ARE christian - and put out Godly lyrics to a package of heavy metal.

16. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

There is a danger the modern crowd needs to beware of, but the truth is, the traditional style has entertainment value too, and was once the "popular" style of secular society. Even though the thing about "Bar Tunes" may have been overhyped and partially misconstrued, it still stands that the style was used in taversn centuries ago. Just because the Church may have had more of an "influence in society" back then, doesn;t mean that either the society, or even the Church itself was right, or that the music style was sacred and not worldly.

As for the use of music, the traditional style supposedly lends itself the "contemplataion", but who says this is always good, and true worship to God. IT has also beem something people have become smug and prideful with (think about the "high cultural elite", who think they don't even need God, yet listen to classical as some sort of superiority complex). That "feeds the flesh" just as much as any sensuous body movement (which are not always present with rock). Many must certainly be getting "amusement" out of the traditional, (even though they aren't conscious of it) when they fight for its sole use in woeship so hard, with such shoddy proof of their arguments against other styles. One person has even pointed out that if you are using music to sooth your spirit, you are just as wrong and guilty of idolatry as the rockers, since only the Holy Sopirit is supposed to do that.

17. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gekko,

My white, 1992 S-10 Blazer is 4 doors (I have much kids!). It also has about 200,000 miles on it, but still runs like a charm. It doesn't look as good in a funeral procession as a Caddy, but it serves me well.

I bought a '89 Mustang 5.0 (midlife crisis), and can't keep them both. The Mustang has to go! I'm stayin' with the Blazer!

SBC

18. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

After reading this entire thread I must say I would have to agree with SFIC as far as the music that is referenced by the OP. Please don't bash me yet...there is a reason I feel this way.

Before I was saved, I was heavily involved in the rave culture (i.e., clubbing, ecstasy, dancing) and the one style of music that appeals to a person who is doing X is techno/trance/happy hardcore. When I listened to the samples that were supplied by the OP I heard no difference in the "music" (not words)....the music was identical. End result is memories....BAD memories of things I did that in no way glorify God.

I personally cannot see where music like this can be classified as Christian...with or without Christian lyrics.

That's just my opinion.

19. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Pamela, under that situation, I can agree with you, however you could have that same point with many things in life.

If you were a drunk, then you shouldn't drink booze. If you were a gambler, you shouldn't take a vacation in Las Vegas. etc..

So with that, I still see that this style of music is good, and when I listen to it, it praises the Lord.

Jamie

20. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

...........and if you are a Christian you should listen to God honoring music.