1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Fiction

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by manchester, Oct 21, 2004.

1. manchester

manchester New Member

What do you think of the Left Behind series? And what about Peretti's "This Present Darkness," "Piercing the Darkness," "The Oath," etc.?

2. JesusInFirstPlace

JesusInFirstPlace New Member

Most people that I've talked to didn't like the Left Behind series, but other than a couple little things I liked them! And I totally loved the Frank Peretti novels!! Wow, like I couldn't put them down! But I do understand that they are fiction....not Bible. But still, they were great!

3. Rachel

Rachel New Member

I read all the Left Behind and I enjoyed them. But always remembering they were fiction, was the key. I completely enjoyed Peretti's books too.

Rachel

4. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

Left Behind--Great

Peretti--Great

Try the Ted Dekker books also!!!

5. JesusInFirstPlace

What books did he write??

And I also loved this new series that Tim LaHaye started with someone else. The 1st book is called Babylon Rising...very good!!

6. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

Dekker has written a book titled Three, and also has a great trilogy out now. The titles of the trilogy are Black, Red and White

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are FICTION but people accept them as true. After a while, the "Left Behind" became obvious fiction

Peretti is more subtle AND more dangerous since it looks like it might have truth. IT DOES NOT. It teaches truly WRONG docgtrine and many, esp charimsatics, are accepting it at face value.

It is myth/fiction/money making, like a movie or dvd and should not be considered anything else. Sadly, many today get NO real info from expository preaching so flock to FICTION instead.

8. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

I agree Dr. Bob. I enjoy fiction (don't read alot of it) but must always keep in mind it is entertainment. Fiction by nature is not fact and should never be seen as doctrine. It is good for relaxation ( better than alot of movies), but it is a shame people aren't reading classic nonfiction such as Tozar and Bounds.

9. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

A while back I read some of the Left Behind series with my daughter, liked how the characters changed and started doing good for each other after becoming Christians.

I don't read much fiction these days, though I do preview Rod and Staff fiction books for my daughter. Rod and Staff if a conservative Mennonite publishing house.

I read Tobit once and enjoyed it, heh.

10. joyfulkeeperathome

joyfulkeeperathome New Member

I used to be an avid Left Behind reader, but one day, I was reading one of the books (I think it was the Mark) and suddenly had no desire to read any more of it, so I didn't!! I put it down and never picked it or any of the other books up again.

Now, Frank Perretti, I LOVE his books, especially "The Prophet" I realize that it is fiction and read it as such!!!

My favorite Christian author is Lori Wick....she is the best!!!! "Pretense" is my favorite of hers....

11. JesusInFirstPlace

I absolutely love Lori Wick's books!!!!!! I haven't read Pretense though- is it new??? I don't think I've even heard of it! But I think my favorites are the Hawk and the Jewel, The Princess, and Bamboo and Lace.

12. joyfulkeeperathome

joyfulkeeperathome New Member

Pretense isn't new, it's a few years old, it's one that you HAVE to get, it's just great!!! I love the Princess and Bamboo and Lace as well. Her most recent book is Every Storm and is very good!! I'm about to start the Kingsington Chronicles....never did read them....

13. JesusInFirstPlace

I really really really liked them (Kensington Chronicles)!! And the three that were set in the old west type were good, but I wouldn't read them all the time, like I have with my 3 faves!

But I haven't read Every Storm either- so I will have to look for them!!!

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I didn't like Peretti. He has doctrinal things that are not Biblical, like angels failing to fulfill their mission if not enough people are praying.

He also has too much of a focus on the demonic, does not seem to understand the New Age well, and has other stuff that I find troubling.

15. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

I did the same thing with the book that was after the Mark. In my opinion, they were dragging it out just to make more money. Am I cynical or what?