1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Hedonism: Biblical or Unbiblical?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by BibleBob, Aug 30, 2003.

1. BibleBob

BibleBob New Member

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on John Piper's concept of Christian hedonism was. I tend to agree with most of it and I was curious what others thought. If you're curious as to what it is check the online library on Piper's website DesiringGod.org.

Soli deo gloria,
    Bob

2. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

A quote from the site, "Pleasure is the measure of our treasure".

Same old garbage, different line, prosperity gospel.

Which can't be preached in China, or in any jail in America, by the way.

Thanks --------Bart

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hedonism (pleasure for the sake of pleasure, pleasure is the principle good) is antithetical to true Christianity which had a much higher goal than pleasing self - pleasing GOD!

4. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bart, you've got to read a little further. There is no way Piper's doctrine can be compared to the prosperity gospel.

While I am a little uncomfortable with the choice of the word "hedonism," I understand the point - the greatest pleasure is found in pleasing God.

5. Gunther

Gunther New Member

But our greatest enjoyment, pleasure, whatever, is found exclusively in God.

So when you are delighting in the greatness of God, you are also bringing yourself more joy than anything else.

It is entirely biblical and no Christian can afford to miss the message.

It has NOTHING to do with prosperity.

6. BibleBob

BibleBob New Member

I would have to say I don't think I like his title for it, specifically the use of the word hedonism, but I think the core of it all is that we derive our pleasure from pleasing God. For the most part I think its very biblical, but I'm still pondering the veracity of his claims that we should use our own desire for happiness as motivation to please God though. I always have thought that we worship God because He is worthy and our benefit, our satisfaction is a derivative of that, yet Piper argues that we should worship God with the aim of being satisfied in Him. Any thoughts? And IMHO Piper's ideas are no where near prosperity gospel.

7. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

I have read many of Piper's works (including Desiring God) and still do not understand completely what he means by Christian hedonism. Its definition is unclear at best. Piper is a talented writer who sometimes writes in a manner out of touch with the everyday Christian experience.

8. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

First of all, Piper does NOT teach a prosperty gospel or anything near it. Second off all, he doesn't teach that our own happiness should be the basis of worshipping God. He just believes people will be truly satisfied when they rest completely in God, it will make them truly happy.

9. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

"....and whosoever shall lose his life for my sake shall find it"

2 Chr 34:
    27 Because thine heart was tender, and thou didst humble thyself before God, when thou heardest his words against this place, and against the inhabitants thereof, and humbledst thyself before me, and didst rend thy clothes, and weep before me; I have even heard thee also, saith the LORD.

"Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord and he shall lift you up".

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself....."

Seeking my own pleasure in God or for God or to God still seems to "rub the cat the wrong way".

Thanks ------Bart

10. Kent Witcher

Kent Witcher New Member

We must deny ourself in order to please God. Self denial is intrisic to God worship and service.