1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian higher education

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Plain Old Bill, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I have been on this board now for several years and it has taught me much. A good portion of my library comes from suggestions of members on this board.

For sometime now there has been discussion about the value of education from several institutions,namely Trinity@Newburgh, Andersonville, Bethany,and LBU. Over the years I have heard many comments about pastors who were highly regarded that had graduated from one of these institutioins. So I think there is a strong possibility these schools could be good pastor training grounds. I have personally went through the catalogs of each of these schools checking not only the cirriculum but the teaching staff credentials. It would appear to me that a DMin would not be out of thier area of expertise.

Now when we are talking about degrees which are issued to show proper knowledge for one to teach in a seminary, that is a horse of a different color for specific reasons. PhD's and ThD's are RESEARCH degrees they are language intensive. Terminal degrees require something closer to terminal knowledge of subject material. Greek,Hebrew, Aramaic, Ugaritic, Latin, a couple of languages I can't remember plus German and French (to study the reformation) are needed. Indeed special research skills need to be fully developed at this level. I don't know how those skills can be learned outside of a classroom. These are the fellas you want teaching your pastor Bible and Doctrine.

I think some of our people me included are very leary of some schools, such as Ivey League or semi-Ivy schools (places you would find Jesus Seminar members) because of thier liberalism.

For some it is an issue of money.

For some it is what doctrines are followed at the schools or how certain subjects are taught, so they are wary.

Am I making sense? Looking forward to comments.:tonofbricks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Often a teen will select a school based on:
    1. My pastor went there
    2. My parent(s) went there
    3. It is our churches (un)official school of choice

3. Plain Old Bill

It seems so especially in IFB churches.:thumbs:

4. Plain Old Bill

Since we seem to have a lot of lookers with nothing to say I guess I can get the rest of this off my chest.

When I went to high school we had to take one year of foriegn languages(French, German, or Spanish) in order to graduate. In the earlier days 50's, 60's, and 70's colleges required languages for graduation. I hope some still do.

It boggles my mind how a person can go through 4 years of Bible College and not take at least 2 years of Greek and one year of Hebrew. Again it boggles my mind that a graduate school would consider enrolling a student who did not have 2 years of Greek and one year of Hebrew at minimum. How much time is wasted overcomming lack of language skills in graduate schools. Needless to say at the masters level we would include advanced courses in Greek and Hebrew. It would also be appropriate to add a year of Aramaic and Latin at this level. At the Doctorate with a Ph or Th it would seem the student would be interested in at least learning 2 more Bible languages. Gee that's enough language for a major in Biblical languages at the doctoral level, it sure is. The guys with the doctor at the end of thier letters are going to be the college and seminary professors and researchers , Bible languages should be second nature to them. It probqably would'nt hurt to learn German and French if one wanted to study or research the reformation.
    You need to know at least some Hebrew and Greek just to use the advanced word study tools you want to , because you don't want to go deep into language studies.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When some of us who were students at SWBTS in our second year of Greek we noticed that those who had Dr. Lorin Cranford were way ahead of students who came to the class from another undergraduate school. A problem developed later when the adminstration wanted him to make his classes easier so more students would take him for classes. His aim was to produce a student who was well prepared. The administration was not so interested in preparation than in having money to spend. Bigger classes meant less cost. It did not take half of a brain to figure out that a huge percentage of students in the doctoral program had him for NT studies.

Part of that is driven by a mentality of the student is called so they must be helped to get through. Another philospohy is that god has called yo so we will help you be well prepared.

The other thing which drives that is low expectation and laziness in the pew. Too many leaders in churches today have been led to believe that church growth is the all important thing. Nickels and noses are now #1 and not knowledge, making disciples, and obedience. we have an easy believism entertainment make me feel good, architectural evangelism mentality.

6. southern_saint

southern_saint New Member

Here's the question to ask: Is it biblically sound?!!!!!!!! If it is, there is your answer!

7. tank1976

tank1976 New Member

That's a good point.

8. Plain Old Bill

I apologize, I would think that goes without saying.