1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Christian Hymns and Songs

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, Oct 3, 2013.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well in this case you missed it.

I quoted the texts without comment - except for this statement about the "obvious" just before the list of texts -- "Christ contrasts those who are ready for the 2nd coming - vs those who are not." - if that comment is what you want to complain about - then say something about it - (but if that comment generates all the noise - then I would say that nit picking has just gone to a whole new level here on Baptist Board - :) )

I am afraid that leaves you with no place to go as an excuse for your objection to the texts I simply quoted without comment - which is why (obviously) I stated that when you complain about that sort of post - your argument is strictly "with the text".

in Christ,

Bob

#21 BobRyan, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2013
  2. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Now - the thread is BACK to the subject of how the lost person becomes justified. This seems like a bait-and-switch game.

Since there is no "camp" that says that the lost is "saved by grace AFTER they do all that they can" - you are back to talking about how the already justified - get "justified again".

in Christ,

Bob

#22 BobRyan, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2013
  3. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That would be a good point, except for the fact that the scripture you posted was in response to the ongoing argument of justified by grace verses justified by performance. In fact, you quoted me on this when you posted the verses. Thus, you are in the camp of justified AFTER ye do all ye can do".

It has always been about how the lost are justified.

No, that would be your position. You believe the lost get saved by grace through faith, but then must keep themselves saved by performance. If you believe a person can lose their justification by grace through faith then that is not "Faith Alone' and is saying exactly as "by grace are ye saved AFTER ye do all ye can do" - No difference at all. You are simply trying to separate yourself from Moroni on this issue when there is no difference at all.

4. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Let's see if I can clear this up so everyone understands the two positions;

1) "Faith Alone" is the doctrine which states that a person/sinner is justified/saved by grace through faith APART from any works however those works may be defined, i.e. practicing righteousness, works of righteousness, works of the law, deeds of the law, good deeds, good works, commandment keeping, obedience to the Law, keeping the commandments, etc, etc, I think you get it!

2) "Faith plus works" is the doctrine which states that a person/sinner is justified/saved by grace through faith AFTER they do all they can do, i.e. practicing righteousness, works of righteousness, works of the law, deeds of the law, good deeds, good works, commandment keeping, obedience to the Law, keeping the commandments, etc, etc, I think you get it!

"Faith Alone" believers believe that a person's works (i.e. see above) are an attribute flowing out of a person because of having been justified by Faith Alone. The works are the outward expression of an inward change. A true believer saved by grace through faith WILL have these works.

"Faith plus Works" believers believe that a person may have works BUT if those works are found lacking for any period of time the person becomes "lost again", thus, the works along with faith plays a part in the justification of the sinner. In fact, the works, or lack thereof, cancels out the grace of God. This doctrine is found taught among many denominations as well as the Mormon churches.

5. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Just a p.s. - There is a third camp which believes salvation is by "Faith Alone" but that can be forfeited not by lack of "works" but by simply choosing not to believe anymore. But that is a OSAS topic and I have one question for them, which no one could ever answer.......see signature....:wavey:

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The devils believe and tremble. And prior to being fallen angels - they knew for "absolute truth" about the Love of God - same for Adam and Eve. They also knew the absolute truth of the matter about their Creator - prior to their fall.

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I pointed to the scriptures that speak of sanctification. And you keep spinning sanctification back into "re-justification".

That is only the case for those who spin sanctification back into "justification all over again". I never claim to do that when the sanctification texts come up.

That much is true - I do believe that the lost are saved by Grace. At the moment of the New Birth - they are justified. That is the starting point for Sanctification and the ending point for living life as a lost person.

They enter through faith - they remain through faith. When they turn from God - they are lost. Which is why God's message to the save saint is .... (wait for it).... "you stand only by your faith... you should fear for if He did not spare them neither will He spare you".

You know - the texts that you might wish to sign my name after - as you avoid them.

in Christ,

Bob

8. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That's the point I was making to Trevor, not all "believe" is "regenerated believe".

Thank you for finally agreeing with me. As I keep saying, this thread is not about Sanctification, but you keep posting scripture about Sanctification in a thread debating Justification. Now do you see?

How bout you define "turning from God" for us? Does this mean stopping to believe? Does this mean disobedience to commandments although you still believe? Does this mean practicing sin although you still believe? Well, I will let you define your position. And careful not to post Sanctification scriptures, we are looking for Justification scriptures in this thread.

9. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Actually, if you recall, E7, whom you have been cheering on in agreement with thread after thread on this subject, declared the Mormons doctrine which states "by grace ye are saved AFTER ye do all that ye can do" is correct and in agreement with his preaching on this subject.....http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=88731

So yes, there is such a camp, and you have been defending the Moroni doctrine just as much as E7.

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Moroni doctrine is the product of a Baptist by the name of Samuel Spalding whose widow sold the book of Mormon manuscript to Joseph Smith - who then claimed that an angel "Moroni" came up with it instead of the Baptist - Samuel Spalding.

Are you sure you really want to keep going there?? I find it odd that you are looking to link that "Moroni" doctrine to someone or some group as if it is going to help your case.

Secondly you continue to use circular reasoning to support your suggestion that sanctification is really justification if the Bible is correct when it talks about someone becoming "fallen from grace" and "severed from Christ". You support your spin - by simply "claiming it" each time the Bible case comes up showing that a person can have forgiveness revoked (Matt 18) or can be come "Fallen from Grace, severed from Christ". You simply respond with "well then justified by works" -- yet this is your spin you have yet to prove that it has any Bible support.

Blaming this on your baptist authored story about the angel Moroni is not helping your case nearly as much as you may have at first imagined.

in Christ,

Bob

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree with E-7 that the Bible teaching on "Severed from Christ, fallen from grace" Gal 5:4 is to be accepted rather than clinging to the man-made tradition of OSAS no matter what the Bible says to the contrary.

I also agree with E-7's pattern of providing text after text showing the case to be true.

I readily agree that we are in agreement on a number of points. But that does not mean that every solution every response from E-7 is the same as a response from me on a given question. Each person gets to author their own posts without having them attributed to someone else.

Just as you might agree with some ideas that the Baptist Samuel Spalding came up with - but not every single one.

in Christ,

Bob

12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The applications may be true for you and E7 in your own minds, you are not alone in that respect. Not until you both understand the how and why of Justification will you ever understand "Eternal Life". "Free" "Gift" "Eternal" are terms that seem so blunt and clear to comprehend, yet so many want to add their own performance into God's plan. IMHO, it is satan who has bewitched even many of the saved by grace.

13. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that works, right?

P.S.
    I fit into the first camp mentioned in the OP. I don't believe salvation is attained through works.
    But I'm not prepared to debate on this one just yet as the debate goes over my head a little, so I'm just here to share songs about God's grace. :)

14. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who Am I, by Casting Crowns:

15. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Over and Underneath, by Tenth Avenue North:

16. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Struggle, by Tenth Avenue North:

#36 evenifigoalone, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2013
  17. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Welcome aboard QD (longer screen names usually find themselves abbreviated ) :wavey:

That's a good camp to be in :thumbs: Don't let anyone talk you out of it.

18. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thanks for the info, I didn't know there was a controversy over who wrote the book of Mormon. :thumbsup: And yes, I'm sure, it is quite important for the Christian to understand this antichrist doctrine of grace plus performance is embraced by a false religion as one of their signature core teachings.

Let's take a look;

Gal5:4 - "Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace".

What is "fallen from grace" attributed to? Wait for it.........to "whosoever of you are justified by the law".

Now I am a "Faith Alone", "Justified by Grace Alone" born-again Christian, so explain how this "fallen from grace" can apply to me??? I have no desire to be justified by the law nor do I believe that I am justified by the law. But who is he who is "fallen from grace"? He who adds self-performance as a condition for justification.

You keep pointing a "Grace through faith alone" believer to Gal5:4. Does that really make sense to you?? "See! See! You can fall from grace!" No, not me, not any biblical faith alone believer, I don't believe a Christian is justified by the law, so how can I fall from grace??

Maybe you believe a Christian is justified by the law Bob, are you one of those "whosoever of you" ?? Remember brother, "This persuasion cometh not of him that calleth you". (Gal5:8)

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Secondly you continue to use circular reasoning to support your suggestion that sanctification is really justification if the Bible is correct when it talks about someone becoming "fallen from grace" and "severed from Christ". You support your spin - by simply "claiming it" each time the Bible case comes up showing that a person can have forgiveness revoked (Matt 18) or can be come "Fallen from Grace, severed from Christ".

You simply respond with "well then justified by works" -- yet this is your spin you have yet to prove that it has any Bible support.

Indeed .. in fact it says in the NASB

4 You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

NKJV
    4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace

Not everyone who "says" Lord Lord... who "Says justified by grace alone" will enter the kingdom of heaven - Matt 7.

Your view that one who is joined to Christ - who is fully under Grace - cannot be "severed from Christ" and "fallen from Grace" -- is directly challenged by the scripture above.

How do you get around that?

in Christ,

Bob

20. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Agreed. Scripture is consistent on this point, it is not what one "says" , rather it is what one "is" (i.e. born of God - 1John). James also speaks to this "saying" aspect.

What does Matthew 7 say about the false? "Ye shall know them by their fruits" (16) . "Wherefore, by their fruits ye shall know them" (20) . What key word do we find here? "Know".

Jesus continues,

(21) "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven". Two points; (1) "not everyone that SAYS" (2) "BUT he that DOETH the will of God"

(22) "Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?" Two points; (1) Again, "many will SAY" (2) they point Jesus to their "good" works of self-righteousness.

And what is Jesus' answer? (23) "And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity". Two points; (1) Jesus "NEVER KNEW" them - this destroys referencing Matt 7 as a once saved and them lost scripture, they were never saved for Jesus never knew them. (2) Jesus calls their "good" works "iniquity".

Shown above how it is not challenged by Matt 7 at all, yet rather supported.

Just another observation, and this is probably why many get caught up in this losing salvation doctrine. One needs to understand that a born of God Christian is more then "joined to Christ". I have spoken with Mormons and with Jehovah Witnesses and when I challenge them about whether or not Christ is "in" them, they always reply - "Christ is joined with me". The correct teaching of "Christ in you" is defined for us in the scripture as "regeneration", as two becoming one "new creation". This alone is proof of OSAS, Christ does not merely come along side and join Himself as just a helper, this is Mormon and JW teaching, no, Christ has become part of the born of God's very essence! This is why John declares in 1John3:9 - "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God".