1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Christian Influence and Alcohol

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Zaac, Jun 18, 2013.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I wasn't replacing it, I was showing the spiritual benefit as asked. It would mirror those other activities. Add in diving off a diving board and grilling.

.Well, I'm pretty sure King Solomon (writing on behalf of the Holy Spirit) wasn't thinking about the skin and seeds when he penned Proverbs. :)

Good, it should be easy to point me to such studies with your education in chemistry.:thumbsup:

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's one Starbucks small coffee, one large sized coffee anywhere else. I sure hope they don't serve that poisonous stuff at your church :eek:

None. He was human in every manner we are yet without sin. He was accused of some of the same things we non teetotalers are accused of here on the BB.

3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Let's not. :laugh:

And he wrote the truth. The drink does what he said it would. But it wasn't the alcohol doing it.

I just did. Look all over the internet for what acetaldehyde is and does. Should give you all the knowledge you need to know about alcohol.:thumbs: Too much of that stuff will mess you up.

#23 Zaac, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2013
  4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope, Zaac won't do it. I predict he will defer and send you on your own search.

5. Ed B

Ed B Member

Witness about faith in Christ. The alcohol didn't impact my brain. I didn't drink enough of it.

I will assume this is an honest question and not a troll

I have never seen moderate consumption of alcohal as sinful. I have had a drink very rarely for many years. I began drinking a little red wine before going to bed a few years back for the health benefits as part of my T2 diabetes regime. It has benefits and even helped my morning BG levels, but I just really don't like it. I will have a beer on occasion because I like a beer at the end of a hot day and with certain foods. That pretty much sums it up.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Very first link on a 10 second Google search...

"It seems that having a couple of beers after work can raise your level of HDL cholesterol -- that's the good stuff -- and possibly prevent clotting, too. No one's exactly sure why this might be, but a 2000 study published in the journal "Circulation" set forth a possible reason why HDL levels might be boosted: Ethanol might increase the speed at which HDL proteins can travel through the blood [source: AHA].
    Whatever the reason for the positive effects on the heart, those effects seem to be legitimate. One of the most recent studies to find heart-healthy results from drinking was published in January 2008 [source: BBC]. Danish medical researchers tracked 12,000 men and women for two decades to see how alcohol and exercise affected their hearts. The first finding was to be expected: In both men and women, regular exercise decreased the risk of heart disease by about 32 percent. The surprise came when they looked at the effects of alcohol.
    People who were active and did not drink alcohol at all had the 30 percent drop in heart disease. People who were active and consumed at least one alcoholic beverage a week had 50 percent fewer occurrences of heart disease than the people who exercised and drank no alcohol."http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/cardiovascular/heart/alcohol-good-for-your-heart1.htm

I have a 50% less of a chance of heart disease over someone who doesn't drink...imagine that! :)

7. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I'm sure they do. :laugh: But I don't drink coffee so I couldn't tell you for sure.

Yes they accused Him of doing something that Scripture at no point says that Hedid.

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Yep. I find that people learn better when they put in a little effort themselves.:thumbs:

9. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

I have to wonder who did those "recent studies."

According to naturalnews.com, alcohol dehydrates the body rather than hydrate...

Alcohol also shares the diuretic quality, so consuming beer and wine, though liquids, will accomplish the same dehydrating effect as the non-alcoholic beverages.

Read the full article here

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-491236/A-pint-beer-better-workout-water-say-scientists.html

http://www.backpacker.com/beer_hydrate_water/blogs/1074

#30 webdog, Jun 18, 2013
  11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think we should be starting more threads on coffee consumption then and the wickedness of the devil's java :D

...getting drunk, absolutely. Drinking alcoholic wine according to the requirements of passover, absolutely he did.

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

well I see no where in Scripture that it says He drank it so I'll refrain from saying it..

13. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

My dad had harding of the ateries and died of a massive heart at the age of 66. His blood pressure was always normal, so all the beer drinking he did didn't help him to live a long life.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Of course there are always exceptions to anything, but this article was concerning moderation and specificaly those who exercise.

15. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Everything else like caffeine? After all, that too is a drug that is state-altering.

16. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

While there are certain medicinal uses for alcohol, it is actually a central nervous system depressant, not anti-depressant. It shuts down the pain centers--hence "feeling no pain." The chemistry of alcohol is close to that of ether, which was used for anesthesia until Valium and others came along. People who ingest more alcohol than the body can process have anesthesized themselves to the next world.

There is nothing like a cold beer after an afternoon of grasscutting. One can get the same effect from icewater with lemon juice.

Moods and inhibitions can certainly be affected by alcohol, but it is still a central nervous system depressant and can be counter productive in the boudoir. Lotus blossoms are a better choice, also watermelon juice.

This is way off subject.

Even so, come Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

#36 Bro. James, Jun 18, 2013
  17. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And want to get drunk (buzzed)

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Based on Proverbs 31:7 it is clearly an anti depressant...and based on experience, my point concerning the Mrs. stands.

19. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Context of Proverbs 31:7--

31:4, "It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink.

31:5, "Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted."

31:6, "Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts (despair)."

31:7, "Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more."

conclusion: no routine alcohol, especially for the leadership. Give alcohol to those who are dying and grieving to help ease the pain.

Will a glass of wine with the spouse cause loss of heavenly rewards? Probably not.

Peace.

Bro. James

20. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Proverbs 31:6-7,
    I believe it is saying that though others may have used drink as an escape, the king was not to do so.

Warren Wiersbe said,"
    "I think verses 6–7 are spoken in irony and not as a commandment, because nobody’s problems are solved by forgetting them, and who wants to spend his or her last minutes of life on earth drunk? [cf. Matt. 27:33–34]."