1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Integrity

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Sep 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What would be characteristic of Christian Integrity?

Would you expect positive virtues such as honesty and edifying speech to be found in such a person?

What would exclude a person from being described as a person of integrity?

In Genesis 20, was Abimelech a man of integrity?...or only in that one instance?

Can unsaved people use the word of themselves ? Or does their conduct disqualify them ?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The LORD provided clarity as to Abimelech:

Genesis 20:6 Then God said to him in the dream, “Yes, I know that in the integrity of your heart you have done this, and I also kept you from sinning against Me; therefore I did not let you touch her."

I would expect positive virtues to be found in a person of integrity and the absence of those virtues are evidence of a lack of integrity.

The good news is that it is never too late to become a person of integrity.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes....God can change a person by convicting them of the sinfulness of such actions.
    There seems to be indications of this in eph4:25-32...

Putting away lying....speak truth...seems to be among professed Christians as he says " we are members of one another...

Vs26be angry, but do not sin

28let him who stole, steal no more, but rather labor....

The sinful pattern is cast aside for the new directive ...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Further on in Ephesians 5:15, Paul writes, "Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise,". Wisdom is knowledge applied. When my daughter was young she would often say to me when I corrected her, "I know, Dad." I told her, "Knowing is only knowing when you do it." In the same way, wisdom is knowledge applied. All of us are a work in progress and should be growing in our Christian character, which includes wisdom.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In proverbs 11:3...the integrity of the upright will guide them...

In 19:22b
    A poor man is better than a liar.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Integrity is integrity. I do not think we need two dictionaries (a secular one and a Christian one). Words have meaning.

I am sometimes amazed at the lack of integrity in the world and even our churches today. At one time a man's word meant something. Now even something as simple as an agreement to conduct on an online forum is enough for some to forfeit integrity (even Christians on Christian boards).

When I was a NCO in the Army the one thing that stood out was integrity. We take responsibility for our actions and are forthright about our mistakes.

I work with NBIB (beginning 1 Oct with the Defense Counterintelligence and Security Agency). One thing I try to stress to people is that their honesty about an issue sometimes carries more weight than any adverse issue itself. That and the polygraph :) .

In seminary our integrity was often examined as our papers were put through a program (I can't recall its name) checking for plagiarism. Integrity includes not only honesty in what we say but in giving credit to others. To lie is, in a way, to steal. I had a 1SGT who always said a liar and a thief were the same (just remembered that).

What I see is "subjective truth" gaining prominence ("your truth", revised histories, decontextualized events, etc.). And sometimes people get caught up in misjudging others.

A man may claim the earth is flat. If the man believes his claim then his integrity is not an issue even as his statement may be false. Quite often I have seen false accusations of lying when in truth members were talking past one another. So here exists another type of character flaw (judgementalism). I have experienced this type of a "lack of integrity" first hand. I've responded about one post or thread not knowing the other was talking about another. I cannot say the other person lacked integrity as the other may have never realized the context of the disagreement, but the other lacked discernment.

So this means "integrity" as a word has a couple of meanings. It could mean a state of being honest, which we've just discussed.

But it could mean a state of being whole - and BOTH applies to our discussion. One can be honest yet lack the ability to speak of a situation without compromising its integrity (not honest in the presentation). We see this when people lift passages or comments out of context. They accurately represent the words, but do so in a dishonest manner by removing the words or statement from their context and degrading the integrity of the quote. This may or may not include a lack of integrity (as a character flaw) but the result is the same.

Another way of looking at it is consistency. One may, for example, denounce censorship when it suits him under the illusion of free expression while at the same time begging those who post to his disliking be censored. This would be a lack of integrity in character (given the second definition). We can see this daily if we watch political discussions.

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom Chantry on integrity (2015):

chantrynotes.wordpress.com/2015/09/07/mark-driscoll-tullian-tchividjian-and-reformed-baptist-polity/

• Like Like x 1
  8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As the OP is on a mandatory vacation this thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.