1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CHRISTIAN "keeping of the Sabbath-rest"

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Gerhard Ebersoehn, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    THIS, is how "true believers worship God in Spirit and in Truth" ...!

Q<Let God be true, and every man a liar." Rom 3:4 "But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."
    “Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.” 2 Corinthians 12:9>Q

THUS may we "boast" in our WEAK and indeed sinful --'lying'-- "keeping of the Sabbath-rest ...”.

“IF JESUS GAVE (US) the People of God, rest", God's Grace allows us; prompts us; urges us; impels us : "HE HAVING ENTERED IN INTO HIS OWN REST AS GOD IN HIS OWN", "GOD HAVING RAISED CHRIST FROM THE DEAD", "IN THE FULLNESS OF THE SABBATH'S DAY : BEING IN THE MIDDLE OF DAYLIGHT INCLINING towards the First Day of the week".

Down to earth speaking of God through the Scriptures!

Nowhere does one find such compelling witness in the Word of God as for "Sabbaths' Feast of CHRIST the Substance", with regard to the First Day of the week --- nowhere and never.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The Law is good.
    I am dead to the Law.
    I am alive unto Christ. He alone is my Sabbath.
    I do not boast in anything sinful. I boast in Christ; in Him do I glory.

The Sabbath was never meant for any Gentile to keep, neither is there any command to keep it. There is nothing restful about keeping the sabbath. It is work. It is labor. It is burdensome. It is putting yourself under the law and thus taking away from the salvation that Christ provided. Grace and law do not mix.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So how often do you sacrifice a lamb?

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Q<Let God be true, and every man a liar."

To answer that "Q," who is God and who are you, and which is which?

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Did I forget to post the Baptist Confession of Faith here???

Westminster Confession of Faith? Did i forget to post that as well??

What about the notes from

The Baptist Confession of Faith,
    the Westminster Confession of Faith ,
    D.L. Moody,
    R.C Sproul,
    Matthew Henry,
    Thomas Watson

All of them affirm the fact that the Sabbath Commandment as given by God was was Saturday the 7th day - applicable to all mankind in Eden and that it is part of the Ten Commandments - which are the moral law of God - written on the heart under the New Covenant.

ok - so then 7 points they affirm.

1. That the Sabbath Commandment is first given to mankind in Gen 2:1-3
    2. That all mankind was obligated by the TEN commandments in the OT and to this very day.
    3. That the seventh day as the Sabbath was Saturday the seventh day of the week from Gen 2:1-3 until NT times - including at the cross.
    4. That the Ten Commandments are the moral Law of God
    5. That the moral law of God is written on the heart under the New Covenant
    6. that the Ten Commandments as the moral law of God are in no way opposed to grace and the Gospel.
    7. That the Sabbath commandment can rightly be BENT by man-made-tradition to point to week-day-1 after the cross.

I agree with 6 out of 7 as listed above - and yet many who post against God's TEN commandments object to all of the points listed above.

#5 BobRyan, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2014
  6. CatMommy

CatMommy New Member

I know someone who recognizes the scriptural sabbath. Sundown Friday unto Sundown Saturday. They unplug all the electrical appliances they can in their house. They don't answer the phone but turn off the ringer so any calls go to voice mail. Landline & cell.

They meditate, pray, relax and read the Bible.

It's what the holy spirit calls them to do.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

We are at liberty to worship God any way we want, especially in the privacy of our own homes. You can worship Him in the bathtub if that is what you want.
    But once you start to impose your system of worship on others that is what is called a doctrine of demons. We are not under the law, not the OT law, not anyone's law. In a local church setting everything is to be done "decently and in order," for God is not a God of chaos.

There is never one command in the entire NT for any Christian to keep the Sabbath, any kind of Sabbath. The only command we can ascertain from the Genesis account is that man should have one day of rest out of seven. But the emphasis is on rest not on worship. IOW, he is not to work a seven day work-week.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Is that your authority? It is not mine. I haven't even studied them and I doubt if I'd agree with them in toto.
    My authority is the word of God, as is all Baptists. Your quotation of those documents is fruitless. Your appeal to them is fruitless. Our basis for truth is the Word of God.
    Have you ever heard of sola scriptura? You should look the term up sometime.

9. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John Wesley too. Today some of Wesleyan try to recover it.

In some senses, Wesley and Spurgeon thought all the moral Law is still effective since the Sacrificial Law was achieved and accomplished, but that Sunday is the replacement of Sabbath.

7 days a week is the Sabbath as long as we are in Christ, everyday throughout my life is Sabbath as long as we are in Christ.

However, unless we can meet at chapel everyday without working, we need to set up a specific day for the day of worship together.
    In OT Israel offered the burnt offering of Lamb and Shewbread on Sabbaths. Jesus replaced them all at the Cross.
    We offer the true Sacrifice by remembering and believing what Jesus has done at the Cross, which is the true sacrifice.

Such Worship was done on Sabbaths during the Early church as we read
    Act 16:13, 17:2, 18:4.

Council of Jerusalem never instructed the gathering and reading the Law on Sabbaths as we read Act 15:21-30

Sabbath will be still effective even in the New Millennium ( Isaiah 66:23)

10. CatMommy

CatMommy New Member

I think you would have to show us in the new covenant wherein Jesus himself said the Sabbath was abolished.

11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I think Bob can handle that ...

12. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Should it?!

Why?! It was done "every Sabbath in the churches"!!

... strange ... eish!

13. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Law is good.
    I am dead to the Law.
    I am alive unto Christ. He alone is my LAW
    HIS Sabbath Day I believe; not MAN'S Sunday, or, MAN’S, “~MY Sabbath is Jesus~”, or, MAN’S, “Jesus is my Sabbath”!

Because I do not boast in anything sinful such as MAN’S, “~MY Sabbath is Jesus~”, or, MAN’S, “~Jesus is my Sabbath~”!

I boast in Christ; in Him do I glory, and “in the exceeding greatness of the power of God which He worked when He raised Christ from the dead”—“by the GLORY OF THE FATHER” : “in Sabbath’s-time in fullness” of “the Seventh Day Sabbath OF THE LORD GOD”, which “God thus concerning spake: And God the day The Seventh Day, from all, HIS, WORKS, RESTED”—in Christ, “For the LORD is a Man of War, the LORD triumphed greatly” and “made a public show” in it of those who “judge you with regard to your Sabbaths’ Feast of Christ the Substance” and “REST JESUS gave the People of God wherefore, keeping of the Sabbath Day remains for (them)!”

Therefore FOR SURE, was the Sabbath never meant for any Gentile to keep, neither is there any command to keep it for any other than the People of God.

And certainly and experientially there is nothing restful about MAN’S keeping the Sabbath. Because it is “the Son of Man who keeps the Sabbath and protects it against (MAN) polluting it.”

So, sir, if to you the Sabbath OF THE LORD GOD “~is burdensome~” it must be because you assumed “~every day is MY Sabbath~” … which is yourself putting yourself under the Law and thus taking away from the salvation that is Christ.

Grace and Law kissed one another in the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. He is both Grace and Law to me. “To me to live is Christ and Christ the gain to die.” “For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord. Whether we live or die, WE ARE THE LORD’S!” The Lord is our Law; our Law is the Lord.

#13 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2014