1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Life?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JustChristian, Jul 22, 2008.

1. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

On this board we've had these questions asked:

1) Should a Christian's life be any different than an unsaved person's life,

2) Should a Christian give to their church,

3) Why shouldn't a Christian support giving semi-automatic weapons to teenagers as a part of their church's retreat.

Does anyone wonder whether we're on a Christian web site or an atheist web site?

2. nunatak

nunatak New Member

No, but if I start seeing posts that involve links like the following, I may:

What Should I Wear?

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think these are all healthy questions in a growing conversation. :)

4. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

Healthy questions yes, but at the same time I get what the OP is asking. Just looking at the topic subject for each of these questions, most look to have a common sense answer for Christians.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

These are simple things a christian should know the answer too.

6. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You make a good point. Something that has been bothering me about my church. The people who go there are for the most part pretty good. But we have a new Pastor and things have been getting interesting. Keep in mind that I have an MBA and am familiar with marketing techinques. It seems to me that this pastor wants to use a business model to bring in more people to the church which includes "what the customer wants". As far as that goes not a big deal. But when it gets to selling something that we're not really about I wonder. Also the business meetings are a lot like board of directors meetings ( I guess thats not bad either) but the graphs and charts go over many peoples heads. What seems to be getting lost between the big events, sales techniques that all members are supposed to be doing, is the message. The visiting the sick ( I'm talking about the members not the staff), or christian lifestyles. We seem to be focusing on differentiating ourselves from the other churches in new members getting more bang for their buck compared to the other churches. I like my pastor on the other hand it seems that we're moving away from the important things of our faith in favor marketing gimicks so that the bottom line increase which seems to be the focus. I wonder if this is an issue with other churches. Is it a result of our culture? I wonder.

7. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

We are told in God's word to be different from the world, to "come out from among them, and be ye separate." 2 Cor. 6:17. Also, in 2 Cor. 6:14 we're told, "Be ye not unequally yoked with unbelievers, for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? What communion hath light with darkness?"

Can the world tell the believers from themselves? Do they see anything in us that they would desire it? Are we telling the same dirty jokes, using the same filthy language, polluting our bodies (the temple of God) with all manner of garbage, committing the same sins continually with no regard as to what is right or wrong? Can anyone even tell that we are Christians.

There's something I heard once, and it stayed with me. "If you were arrested for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you?" Something to think about, for all of us.

Some things are taught to us by God's Holy Spirit. Some things are just common sense. There are some gray areas that we're not sure about, and it's good to talk about and discuss those. However, asking "Is there anything wrong with a Christian swearing or smoking?" is a foolish question in my opinion. If a person is asking, they apparently are already convicted of doing it and know it's wrong. They just want someone to tel them it's OK to do it. We can always justify in our minds anything we want to do in order to make ourselves feel better about doing it.

8. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Mr

I was a Deacon in my last church. (I moved and am attending a new church.) The one view that was fairly widely held by church leadership was that the pastor should be the CEO of his church. I completely rejected this idea. I thought the pastor should be the spiritual leader of his church. When our pastor retired I was on the pulpit committee to find a new one. We stalled and decided to find an interim.

We had two candidates and interviewed both. One was a full-time interim pastor. Throughout his entire interview the only thing he talked about was how good an administrator he was. He never said anything about his beliefs, christian walk or feelings towards evangelism. The other candidate was a retired pastor. It was obvious he had a heart for the Lord and for His church. I couldn't believe it when several on the committee argued for the administrator. My response was we had just had a sizable layoff at my company and i knew several great administrators we could get from there. Thank goodness we chose the retired pastor and he was simply terrific for the church.

9. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good for you guys! It's funny I often laugh at the pastors powerpoint demonstrations. I agree with you the Pastor is not the CEO of the church. Because if he were would he demand a golden parachute if things go wrong? What kind of options could the church offer? Boy, I just want faith and spiritual guidance.

10. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

I guess as I read through the posts on here and in all the forums I get the sense there should be like this "list of rules" for Christ followers. I dont agree with that. Seeking Him is THE rule and let the other stuff fall where it may. I have been saved since June 1995 at a Newsboys concert and I have not changed alot. I am still the same person I was I just now have a very brash attitude because of all the stuff I have been through. I love the Lord, attend church, study the word, am the best mom I can be to my boys and the best sister, friend to everyone else. This whole well a Christ follower cant do this and cant do that is so hogwash to me. We are all our own persons and we all make our own choices. This whole women cant do this and do that and because you are a follower of Christ you cant do this and do that...no way. The word Christian to me and well to my friends around me means probably alot different than it does to all of you. I love meeting people where they are at which means yes I will wear jeans and flip flops to church and hang out with non-christians. People who know me for any length of time know that without God I wouldnt have gotten through the last 2 years of my life which thank you God are nearing an end. My life is my testimony and no its not perfect, its who I am. I would rather get someone onto Christ by getting down to their level than by trying to be above them which is why I love using the phrase--you attract more flies with honey than vinegar.

I love churches that dont try and shove you into their church but give you time to get into in the church before they come charging at you and I love churches that accept you for who you are and do not try and change you immediately. I went to a church a few years back and the pastor came to my home to visit and I was in a tanktop and shorts playing in the water with the kids and the pastor got there and asked me to go change, said that what I was wearing wasnt appropriate and also commented that my flip flops on Sunday werent appropriate either. I looked at that pastor and said politely that this is my home and I will not go and change my clothes and if you dont like my flip flops on Sunday then maybe this isnt the right church for me, and I politely asked him to leave. Christ desires a relationship with you. He wants us to ask Him for our every need, every desire, He wants to have an intimate connection with you, He wants you to be able to come to Him with anything and lay it at his feet. Thats the main thing and I think some of us forget that and remember all the legalistic stuff and think that has to be in there too, so dont let everyone tell you there is this special "list" that you have to adhere to. Seek Him and the rest will fall into place.

11. nunatak

nunatak New Member

I am quite sure Mormons, JW's, Oneness Pentecostals, and many others would wholeheartedly agree with you. So, what separates Christ's sheep from them? If you reject a list of rules, which I call doctrine, then you make your relationship with Christ premier.
    Does Scripture agree with your opinion? Is the Christian walk focused on having a "relationship", "intimate connection" with Christ? How does God reveal himself to us today? What says the Word of God, not the word of men?
    The truth is that the Scriptures plainly teach that although God once revealed himself to men via prophets, dreams, seers, today he reveals himself through his Son, Christ Jesus. How does God reveal himself through Christ? If God reveals himself through Christ based on your personal relationship, where does that leave the rest of humanity?
    No, God revealed himself, past tense, through his Son who died, past tense, on the cross. That's it. Done. Finished.
    How do men access God today? The Scripture teaches men access God through faith in Christ when they hear the preached gospel, that is, through "redemptive revelation" of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
    So, you reject a list of rules? Then toss your Bible in the trash. For it is written.... You can fill in the dots.

First rule: Love God
    Second rule: Love your neighbor

Since we fail to follow God's rules, we need a Savior, Christ the Lord. He fulfills the rules for us.

So, because God's grace abounded in Christ, should we continue in sin?

Third rule: God forbid.

But, America loves its experience based religions, and has rejected Christ.

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

All of your posts seem to imply that you have accepted Christ, but on your terms, not His.

13. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

superwoman8977,
    There are certain commands that we are to follow after. They are not for our hurt, but for our own good and for the good of those around us. Jesus said that if we love Him, we must keep His commandments, and those who do so He likens to a wise builder who built his house upon a rock.

I wonder how following Him could ever be realized without adhering to His teachings? How can someone follow Him and not learn of Him? What is it you are "seeking"? Will you ever find Him for all that He is and encompasses, or is He just an elusive empty figure or symbol? Jesus had much to say and teach. He had a list. Those who love Him should always endeavor to follow that list and encourage others to do the same. There are "do's" and "don'ts" from start to finish in the Bible.

Maybe you're referring to man-made rules, and on some of those, I can agree that they can be brushed aside. But never compromise the clear instruction of what the Word of the LORD commands.

I am glad that you love the Lord and I would encourage you to take these things into consideration. The love we have for God should be expressed through our lives and deeds that are rooted in His Word -- His instruction, His commands, His to-do list. They give us health to our bones.

"Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God." ~ Jesus

:wavey:

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

SW continuelly denies scripture, doing life her way, not God's way, flaunting disobedience as if it were acceptable to God.

15. superwoman8977

I guess I just dont understand why you say I deny scripture. I dont. I live my life for the Lord. Ok so my husband and I divorced that wasnt my doing. I lived by my vows for 7 years. What I dont agree with is this like special "list" that people say I or others need to act like. You dont know me, dont know my family. I dont agree there is this special "list" I live as close to the 10 commandments as I can we are not perfect people we are sinners covered by God's grace. None of us are perfect although there are some on here that think they are some days. I know I am not perfect but I live each day to the fullest I learned all about that when I had my cancer which I thank the Lord for bringing me through. But when it comes to all the mumbo jumbo about how a christian is supposed to "act" and what a Christian is supposed to "wear" I dont buy into it. I spend time with the Lord in prayer and in the word, journal my prayers, do i spend 24/7 in the word? No because there is so much life to live and I am enjoying life but I love when someone texts me or calls me with a prayer request or issue and this awesome word of scripture will just come to me to share with them. I love that. I dont accept Christ on MY terms, there is no MY in MY Life my children, my friends and family, with MY Lord as primary make up life for me. Being a Christian is about whats on the inside in my heart and I think alot of people forget that.

16. Joe

Joe New Member

Give the other letters of the alphabet a chance will ya... :D

#16 Joe, Jul 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2008
  17. donnA

donnA Active Member

Thats a whole lot of me, myself, and I's.

18. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I agree with much of what you say but take issue with your statement.

Is the Christian walk focused on having a "relationship", "intimate connection" with Christ?

I interpret the following scripture to mean that we are told to do just that.

Jhn 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
    Jhn 15:5 I am the vine, ye [are] the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
    Jhn 15:6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast [them] into the fire, and they are burned.
    Jhn 15:7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
    Jhn 15:8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
    Jhn 15:9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
    Jhn 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

19. superwoman8977

Exactly thats so cool thats where I was in the word this morning reviewing what Pastor has been preaching on for the last few weeks about abiding in Him, the main jist (for lack of a better word) for having a relationship and growing in Him, which is the main point of the Christian life...not all the rules and the doctrine which some consider so important

20. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Growing in Christ, is becoming more like Him. Growing in Christ is growing in knowledge of Him. This is is doctrine. You can not avoid doctrine and for this it is so important. Every one believes a doctrine. Even you. Which you have expressed more than once. So doctrine is important.

And from doctrine flows obedience. So "rules" are important. In one sense, our lives are testimony to the doctrine we follow.