1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Manhood

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by John of Japan, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

So....if a man doesn't participate in sports or martial arts, is he still a man?

Seems like these are the only two qualifications according to the posts on this thread.

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That's dreaming, Bro.

The last two decades have proven the kung fu stuff bogus. That is not an opinion- it is a fact. That the earth is round is no more a fact than this.

Wrestlers dominate combat sports.

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Of course not. John introduced the martial arts stuff into the thread. It is his prerogative since he started the thread. But neither he nor I are saying that martial arts has anything to do with being a man.

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Well it seems after 44 posts, someone might have added something to the discussion other than physical fighting.

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Tell John. He introduced martial arts into the thread back in post #24. He is the one who said a man ought to learn some martial arts.

I'm actually arguing that most martial arts are bogus. A guy would do better to learn to wrestle.

We talked about what we thought defined Christian manhood for the first two or three pages. Have you read them?

#46 Luke2427, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2010
  7. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

LOL, I hope you guys are marking how high you get on the wall before it dries.:laugh:

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

What???

I'm not familiar with this play on words I guess. I am sure it is funny but I don't follow it.

9. kfinks

kfinks Member
    Site Supporter

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

#50 Luke2427, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2010
  11. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

No way, bro. Speed and accuracy will win out on lethargic brute strength/wrestling (or as we used to say rass-lin').

12. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Nope. That is not what the last two decades show. That is the little man's wishful thinking. It is no more true than unicorns and Peter Pan.

That's why we have weight classes. Strength is a huge factor.

Wrestlers have been whipping the tar out these asian martial artists for two decades.

13. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, has this thread gone astray! True, I introduced martial arts into the thread, but I had no idea that Luke would take it so far, and that he was such an expert (though he has next to no training in any Asian martial art--his own testimony). I'll not try to convince him further, since he is no doubt unconvincable in this area.

I'm going to try to get back on track by saying what my original point was when I mentioned the martial arts. It was that every man should be a protector: of his family, of the weak and helpless. Here is Scripture.
    Again, we have other cases in the Bible such as when Abraham took his trained servants to recapture Lot and other family members.

In order to learn to defend his family, a man may learn to use a gun, he may keep some other weapon in his house (a long stick is good--the quarterstaff we find in the Bible and Robin Hood), he may learn MMA, he may learn a traditional martial art, he may just be big and strong and confident (like Luke). But he should be ready and willing to defend his family.

Many martial arts schools have self defense courses where a man can cheaply and easily learn ways to defend himself. I suppose even some MMA schools teach self defense, though I've never heard of one. But in spite of Luke's enthusiasm, simply learning MMA will not help you face a knife or gun. These things must be learned in a self defense class.

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think at all that a man needs to be an athlete or martial artist to be a man. But he should be ready and willing to defend his family and the weak in society.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amy,

Guess that means any shotgun with buckshot will do.

16. kfinks

kfinks Member
    Site Supporter

The best weapons in self-defense are the mind and the heart. One must know not only what to do and when to do it, but one must also have the will to do what what needs to be done.

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I have that. :)

I would defend my family too. I'm an only child, the son my father never had :laugh: and was taught to shoot, fish, mow the yard (we had no riding mower), trim the yard (without the aid of a weed eater), take care of my own car..and a lot of other stuff. So if someone threatened me or my family, yeah I could shoot 'em. I'm actually a better shot than my husband.

But I thought this thread was about things peculiar to a man. Of course, it may be that I'm just weird. :eek:

18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very well said. One of my favorite authors on the martial arts wrote, "There is almost no reason in the world to fight. But there is every reason in the world to know how to fight: it gives one Mark Twain's 'confidence of a Christian with four aces'" (Chinese Boxing, Masters and Methods, by Robert Smith, p. 112). :laugh:

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everyone knows, never come between a lioness and her cubs! [​IMG]