1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian music in a secular world

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by chipsgirl, Jan 11, 2005.

1. superdave

superdave New Member

My point really is, that people make mistakes. Adultery is a serious matter, and I am not making light of it, but how many of us, if we were in the public spotlight, could have our behavior analyzed and judged by others, to the detriment of our ministry. Those in public ministry will understand the pressure of such scrutiny, where most of us in the pew might be able to get by with quite a bit more, and maintain the respect of others when it may not be warranted.

2. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I think the problem that many of us have with her isn't the adultery or even the divorce. Everyone of us will sin, sooner or later and she, like the rest of us, should have the opportunity to repent and to be restored.

My problem is the fact that, when CCM magazine gave both Amy and Gary an entire issue each to explain themselves, he addmitted to his part in the marriage problems that led to the divorce, while she was unrepentant and even mocked him for trying to initiate counseling to reconcile their marriage.

In true Clintonian fashion, she denied her adultery on every page of the magazine, even while Vince Gill had already admitted to it, as a part of his divorce settlement.

The interview reminded me of Woody Allen's now famous quote after marrying his daughter: "Hey, the heart wants what the heart wants". Rather than offering a Biblical reason for her divorce (or even a logical one, for that matter), she told us simply that she was tired and wanted to move on to someone she loved more.

To use a sports metaphor, she opted for free agency and refused arbitration.

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Superdave, Amy can SING any words. Did she write them? Did she publically repent of her adultery? She's a public figure who supposedly represents Christians. Her sin was public and her repentence (if there is any) should also be public.

Barbara Streisand has sung 'Christian' Christmas songs. Kenny G. plays 'Christian' Christmas songs. Doesn't make either of them Christians!

I'd listen to, purchase and attend a concert for a Kirk Talley 1,000 times before an Amy Grant.

4. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

:tear:Well...all that being said I will say that we should apply the same standards to our Christian music that we apply to our lifestyles.I'm an old-time fundamental Bible-believer in the sense that I believe that the bible clearly teaches the principle that we should "come out from among them,and be ye seperate,....." in 2Cor.6:17.Much of this modern music (ie.,CCM and even some 'gospel music")TOTALLY ignores sound bible doctrine and standards and is just put forth as entertainment.Just the fact that the CCM people perform their "ministries" by selling high priced concert tickets and "souvenirs" should tell us all something.They are in business...not ministry...and the $$$$ is what a lot of it is about.If you think I'm being too harsh then tell me it ain't so.Just the fact that they ocassionally come up with a pretty song that speaks to the emotional side of us does NOT make it right.Godly music ought to stir our us to our very soul and magnify and GLORIFY our precious Saviour and our great God.THAT is the standard the a child of God should hold "psalms,hymns,and spiritual songs up to.I see nothing in the bible that even remotely suggests that a "christian" singer or musician should go out seeking to form a "fanbase".

Selah!

Greg Sr. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Gregory Perry Sr.

:rolleyes:To ADD to and SUM all the above up..."the world" ought to never be "comfortable" with our message until they have "received" it and been Born-Again.We ...as Christians are to be a "peculiar people".....and "in the world"..but not OF the world.Godly music is just another one of those areas that should properly distance us from the things of THIS world.We ARE to be DIFFERENT.Not a popular idea in this day of watered-down churches and theology but nonetheless TRUE.

Greg Sr. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. superdave

superdave New Member

That's quite a broad brush.

And I do listen to music that is enclosed by your rather negative portrayal, that my ungodly co-workers do not like, and would rather not listen to, because it does contain the Truth, and it is different from their music. It's still contained within the CCM genre as described here.

7. superdave

superdave New Member

"Superdave, Amy can SING any words. Did she write them? Did she publically repent of her adultery? She's a public figure who supposedly represents Christians. Her sin was public and her repentence (if there is any) should also be public."

She sang a song of repentance publicly...Hopefully her church dealt with her appropriately, Its really no business of mine. People who look to human beings to show them what a real christian is are bound to be disappointed. No matter who they are looking at.

"Barbara Streisand has sung 'Christian' Christmas songs. Kenny G. plays 'Christian' Christmas songs. Doesn't make either of them Christians!"

Crossover the other way is slightly different don't you think? We can get into that later

"I'd listen to, purchase and attend a concert for a Kirk Talley 1,000 times before an Amy Grant."

As would I, for all the reasons posted above, and a couple others. I just wanted to clarify that nobody knows the state of Amy's heart, and if she is inhabited by the Spirit, and has not repented of her sin, than she is miserable. If she repented, and has dealt with her sin, than she may genuinely be walking in the Spirit. I have no respect for her, and I have seen her in concert, it didn't help my opinion at all. I see a world of a difference between her music and the ministries of many other artists, some who would call her a friend, but have lived lives that clearly are consistent with their message. That being said. Unfortunately, public figures fail, I don't judge all musicians by the failures of one human being who is imperfect.

8. Gregory Perry Sr.

:rolleyes: Dave...I am aware those were "broad" brush strokes and I have no desire to attempt to look into the hearts of these people...that is the Lord's business.BUT....I feel the "fruit" of many of these "performers" has been that it leads people away from looking,acting,and sounding distinctively christian or biblical and TOWARDS looking,acting,and sounding distinctively worldly.There is much compromise to be seen and a move away from sound bible doctrine and the seperation from the world and the things of the world that the bible clearly teaches for the surrendered child of God.We live in days of increasing apostasy.

Greg Sr. [​IMG]

(and yes...I admit to being somewhat "biblically" narrow-minded.) [​IMG]

9. superdave

superdave New Member

I totally understand where you are coming from, I just don't see any way you can Biblically exclude any particular genre or style in and of itself.

I am highly selective in the music I listen to and sing, more so than many who simply adopt either songs they view as "traditional" or particular publishers and throw discernment out the window.

There are artists who have clearly turned toward a more worldly mindset, and there are artists who are Christian simply because it is an easier sell, there is a smaller field of talent.

I have chosen to avoid some artists whose music I actually do like, because of thier doctrinal stance, or their lifestyle.

I wouldn't endorse the industry, or the publishers, but there are artists who are making Godly music, and are living a life consistent with their message, and much edification can be had from their ministry.

10. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Well after reading some of the thoughts on Amy Grant I have come to the conclusion that I shouldn't judge her. I'm sure she's repented for her sins. In all honesty, is it really my business of what she does in her personal life??? True she is a public figure and should set an example but what kind of example am I setting by judging? Just a thought.

11. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

When you purchase her CD's or concert tickets, you're paying for her sinful lifestyle. Also, please go back and read the post about her being given a chance to speak to Christians where she actually lied and said there was no 'adultery' while her new husband admitted the 'adultery'. That's NOT repenting is it?

12. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Well, I never really researched the situation.

13. moeowo2

moeowo2 New Member

Actually Vince has said that Amy and him never had a physical affair in all the interviews I've seen. He and her both admitted they loved each other but never pursued anything until after both of their divorces. So I'm not sure where you heard that he admitted it in the divorce papers.I can find nothing on the internet in regards to him admitting in the divorce papers of an affair with Amy. Please provide a link to the actual form for us to see...

14. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

You can do a search off Smoking Gun for the actual divorce papers.

15. moeowo2

moeowo2 New Member

I have both articles and did not get that same impression for Gary and Amy's articles... quite the opposite. I've just went to the Smoking Gun and there is nothing on it.

Diane that quote doesn't mean a thing to me. It's one persons opinion. Again if anyone can produce a copy of the actual document...I'll believe it.

Vince and Amy BOTH testified (**correction they were both willing to testify.) in Vince's divorce hearing that they did not have a physical affair...and had they testified they would have perjured themselves...I doubt they would have risked it.

[ January 17, 2005, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: moeowo2 ]

16. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen! That would be utter confusion.

17. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I took a part time job as manager of a drug store in Delaware and I'm really shocked at the number of Christian songs they're playing over our Muzak.

I don't know all of the names of the songs, because I don't really listen to Christian music, but I think one of them is Jars of Clay and one of them is a girl that sings "You've got to talk to the one who made you" or something like that.

I don't care for Christian music, but that's a pretty song.

Now Playing: The Marmelade – Best of

18. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

Yes, which is why I don't listen much CCM music anymore. Twila Paris is my only exception. CCM music sometimes produces very good stuff, but much of it is mediocre to bad (i.e., vague lyrics, bad doctrine/theology).