1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Nation - David Barton

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by TexasSky, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do it quite a bit -- especially when I'm reading controversial literature.

Paul commended the Bereans for their concern for truth. As disciples of Jesus -- the One Who identified Himself as Truth -- we must be very concerned about truth.

When I was a teenager, Bob Larson's books on rock music were regularly used as infallible references at the Baptist church I grew up in. Since I actually knew something about some of the music and groups Bob Larson attacked and allegedly quoted, I noticed that either I was profoundly deceived or Larson was inaccurate. I started checking Larson's references and discovered that his facts and quotes about rock musicians and songs were often completely wrong, out-of-context, or misrepresented.

I started checking other "Christian" books and was very disappointed to discover that Christian authors apparently have very little regard for truth or careful research. :eek:

If you don't stand guard over your mind, you can be led captive by those who do not truly represent Christ.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

So you respect Barton, even though he has misrepresented the facts? Do you think this is acceptible for Christians? I don't.

I have no love for the ACLU. I simply expect Christians to act in accordance with their faith, and making false statements as Barton did is wrong. Period.

Then Barton should have no problem finding examples without making falsehoods.

There's no way anyone can read Amendment I and NOT see a wall of separation. That wall of separation protects us, as well as others.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Regardless of what others say, Barton made false statements. Period. End of story. That makes less than credible.

You're completely missing the point. Barton engaged in falsehoods and half-truths. That's unacceptible for a Christian.

4. OCC

OCC Guest

"You're completely missing the point. Barton engaged in falsehoods and half-truths. That's unacceptible for a Christian."

I would like to know if Bush has done the same. [​IMG]

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never heard of him either.

Maybe it's because I'm not a Republican. :eek:

6. OCC

OCC Guest

7. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

No,

I haven't "completely missed the point." You have.

People who have accused Barton of falsehoods and half-truths are in error. THEY are the ones who rewrote history. Barton showed his sources. If those sources were wrong, it was not Barton's fault, he DID quote the sources accurately.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Either he spread falsehoods and halftruths, or he didn't. The facts clearly show that he did. he is not to be considered credible.
    How exactly does that means he's not spreading a falsehood, just because he was spreading someone else's falsehood? Or is it only wrong if a liberal does it, but when a conservative does it, it's okay? At best, that makes him guilty falsehood originated by someone else. In the very least, that makes him guilty of spreading rumor and gossip, something expressly forbidden by Christians.
    This conversation is not about Bush. If Bush was guilty of spreading falsehoods, that does not give Barton, or any other Christian, permission to do the same.

9. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No they are not. (I’m sure that there is probably some over-zealous criticism of Barton here and there, but almost all of his critics are exactly right.)

The funny thing about Barton’s “sources” is that they often disprove Barton’s assertions.

If he claims to be quoting secondary sources, Barton may have been misled. But any competent researcher knows that they need to treat secondary sources very carefully and verify the source’s accuracy, if possible, before going to print. Most of the Founding Father’s writings and speeches are readily available through a good research library or on the internet.

Barton lives in Aledo, Texas, (about 10 miles to the west of where I live) and he has easy access to the Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary library and the Fort Worth Public Library to research his claims. I used both of these libraries, especially the public library, to check out David Barton’s alleged sources. I didn't know the first thing about looking up Supreme Court cases when I first starting checking out Barton, but it's a lot simplier than you might think. The Fort Worth Public Library has a whole bookshelf of U.S. Reports that officially documents all Supreme Court decisions. The librarians are very helpful and excited that people are actually using the materials. If he wanted to check anything out, he could have done it easily.

If he claims to be quoting primary sources, he did a miserable job of it. I documented quite a few major problems with his work a number of years ago that he has yet to address.

He has absolutely no excuse.

Nope. Not true.

What did you think of the example I posted last night? It’s pretty clear that dropping 347 words that undermine your argument out of a quote cannot meet even the most lenient definition of “accuracy.”

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never heard of him either.

Maybe it's because I'm not a Republican. :eek:
    </font>[/QUOTE]Since I didn't know anything about him, I had to start researching. This guy is really controversial.

There are several athiest web sites lined up against him with their talking points to discredit him. There are also several apparently Christian web sites with their talking points. It's really amazing, the athiest web sites and the Christian ones mostly use the same talking points.

Some of the points used on this forum are almost quoted verbatim from the talking points on those websites.

So many are so adamantly opposed to his views that I guess I'll have to become familiar with the guy and his works so I won't feel so left out. :confused:

No personal opinion yet.

11. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

I usually avoid this section like the plague.

I haven't read Barton, so not going to comment on the facts of that.

The quoted passage above, however, is a really troubling bit. As a trained historian, one is expected to research all the sources. If one is quoting material incorrectly, and if that person is a competent researcher, that inaccuracy will become apparent.

It never ceases to amaze me that anyone who can read thinks they can be a historian. They can't, and usually shouldn't try. Why would any one take the word of someone who "isn't a historian" on a historical matter is just bizzare. Would you want a historian fixing your plumbing or doing heart surgery on you?

And as for quotes from 19th or early 20th century books. Much written in that period is horridly researched psuedo-history that absolutely must be checked against the original source documents.

12. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I don't find this amazing at all. If a person is in error, it doesn't matter if the person pointing this out is a believer or not, they will still see the same issues.

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't find this amazing at all. If a person is in error, it doesn't matter if the person pointing this out is a believer or not, they will still see the same issues. </font>[/QUOTE]I would have thought their perspectives would ,at least , be a little at odds. But strangely enough, they were dead on most of the time.

At any rate, the likeness was striking. True enough ,facts are facts, but the similarities seem to go deeper than just facts. IMO

14. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Jeff,

It isn't as simple as it may sound.
    History is re-written fairly often in the last few decades. Barton quoted documents that society considered reputable sources at the time.

For instance: Most of my generation grew up being taught that the story of Washington and the Cherry Tree was "fact". I was in my 30's or 40's before it came out that the man who originally recorded the story might have been making it up. No one in my generation every dreamed of questioning whether Mason Weems was telling the truth or not.

Now - Knowing Mason Weems was a contemporary of Washington. Knowing Mason Weems was a minister who wanted Washington to become a minister - I see little reason to call Weems a liar.

However - as one website puts it "More than a century later, Weems would be vigorously debunked by a new corps of biographers intent on resurrecting the real truth of Washington's life."

So, 100 years later, people are trying to discredit George Washington, and in doing so, they start by discrediting Weems, and therefore are discrediting men like Barton who quotes Weems. Almost all of the debunkers are athiests.

Well, where is the proof from these new people that Weems is a liar? How did they find this proof? Why did it take over 100 years to find it?

Who is to say which group is lieing? Why didn't people "debunk" Weems when Weems first published?

It makes no sense to me. I just don't trust "modern history" that rewrites ancient history.

The reason I don't is that I've seen it rewrite more modern history too often.

I lived through the Vietnam era. I lived through the Kennedy Assasination, the first time John Glenn circled the earth, a LOT of Presidents, Watergate, and a lot of "police action wars." What they teach the kids about 10 to 15 years after the event is often not anywhere close to what was actually going on about 1/2 the time.

So - I trust those who are closer to the event.

15. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Again,

May I point out - in the case of David Barton - they don't say, "Jefferson never said that!" They say, "Jefferson didn't say it in 1801, it was in 1802." One of the debunkers went so far as to say, "Jefferson wrote it, but he was being sarcastic when he did." PLEASE - give me a break!

16. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

One other point - David Barton - when he first published - did not claim to be a historian.

He said that he was tired of listening to the lies of athiests, so he went to the library and did hours of research on the founding fathers.

He published what he found. Quotes attributed to the founding Fathers, statements by other historians, etc.

It is easy to say "that's wrong" today, but honestly - isn't that how the majority of education is handled today? How many teachers in classrooms today actually check out the material personally to ensure the book is right?

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I don't buy that defense. For him to be so clearly wrong so many times shows that his research lacks credibility. We're not talking about a goof here and there. He made numerous major blunders. And, several of his blunders still have not been corrected. In fact, those blunders are now being repeated by other notable Christians, like D James Kennedy, without correction.

18. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

How many times?

You just said you haven't even read his work.

This is a Christian man trying to stand up for Christ. You are criticizing him, condemning him, based largely on statements made by people you don't even know who have said, loudly and clearly, they have a problem with Christians.

That's the most UN-Christian behavior I can imagine.

How do you know they are blunders? If you haven't read his work, how can you know? If you THINK it is a blunder, how far did YOU go to confirm whether it really was or not?

Read Barton yourself.
    TALK to him yourself.
    He's not that hard to reach.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Christians should NOT jump on band wagons to condemn other Christans based on the words of athiests.

As to "without correction" that is a blatant lie. Barton HAS posted a book siting what others call his previous errors, and has cited the support documents he used, and cited where others say that is wrong and why they said it is wrong.

I'm sorry John. Its unChristian to condemn him without even reading his work yourself. You're just bearing false witness.

Let me give you a more "realistic" idea of "modern historians" and their "so called value." The Infamous Story of the Alamo has been passed down in Texas since the day the Alamo fell. It is in the historical documents of our age. Passed down from the women who survived and from the Mexicans who fought for Santa Anna. EVERYONE agreed to the basics of the story.

Then, around 1970, someone announced they'd found a diary that was previously undiscovered, and how it totally blew the Alamo story to bits. The world was soooo excited. They actually started teaching from the stupid thing.

I sat back wondering - why was this ONE diary so important that it could discredit - by its mere existence, the stories that others had believed for so many years? Was it Santa Anna's? Jim Bowie's? What made IT so special? What made THAT witness more valuable than others? Why was its story so different?

Then a historian said, "Wait a minute! That's bunk!" People said, "No! No! This was from the Mexicans! You've only studied it from the Texan view point. This is the REAL story. This is the BALANCED story."

He demanded some carbon testing.

Turns out, the "ancient diary" was written on ancient paper, but with modern ink. It was a TOTAL fraud someone created to sell at auction and make a fortune off of.

It was a fake.

But the groups so eager to discredit all legends had taught it as fact for weeks before they bothered to test the source.

I don't trust people who re-write history.

[ August 02, 2005, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: TexasSky ]

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You don't stand up for Christ by propogating falsehoods.

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, I criticize his work based on the facts, not by what anyone else says.

Holding a Christian brother accountable for his words is quite Christian.

If I state a fact in error, and I'm corrected, I accept that correction.

Christians should correct errors based on the facts.

As recently as 2003, his videotape "America's Godly Heritage" was being offerred on the Coral Ridge Hour and with Barton's approval. The tape was produced in 1992, so you'd think that Barton would have time in all those years to correct the errors on the tape. Some had been corrected from an earlier version, but most remain.

I have seen this tape, btw, and don't recommend it for the Christian.
    Just curious. Do I need to read Benny Hinn's work to know he's a false teacher? I also don't recall anywhere where I said I hadn't read Barton's work. On the contrary, I've read excerpts of "the Myth of Separation" and have seen the tape "America's Godly Heritage". Barton errs. That's a fact. To correct Barton's errors is not only appropriate, but worthy.

20. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Barton is telling untruths and distortions in the name of Jesus. Don’t you find that disturbing?

Christian scholars, especially Baptist scholars, have been among his strongest critics because they know our heritage of religious liberty and understand that Baptists were on the front lines of the fight to separate church and state. (Try doing internet searches for Isaac Backus, Roger Williams, Obadiah Holmes and John Clarke.)

The most un-Christian thing I can imagine is a person deliberately telling lies in the name of Jesus. It undermines the credibility of the gospel and can be devastating to the faith of many innocent people. Imagine the Christian teen who hears David Barton presentations (or those who have parroted his arguments like Carman, Jars of Clay, or their local pastor) and then go off to college to discover that Barton misquotes Supreme Court cases, mischaracterizes the views of prominent Founders, and promotes simplistic and one-sided views of history. It may completely sideline his faith since all the Christians he knows believe and promote falsehoods.

Furthermore, how can Christians be taken seriously in the mainstream when we say that Jesus is the Messiah when we won’t confront those in our midst who promote easily debunked falsehoods to the general public and try to change our national policy according their deceptions? (Yes, David Barton unfortunately has significant influence among “conservatives” in Washington.)

If I ever preach falsehoods, I hope someone points it out. I would rather be corrected by a brother or sister in Christ than to shame the name of Jesus with my life.

Well I’m not an atheist… I’m a devoted follower of Jesus and a Baptist. Many of Barton’s other critics are also Christians.

If the sky is blue, and both the atheist and the Christian agree on that issue, then it is foolish to insinuate that the Christian is a closet atheist or that the atheist’s observations are somehow illegitimate. In the same way, if an atheist can demonstrate that Barton has misquoted something, the truth of the matter cannot be written off as an expression of the bias of the atheist.

When I first started investigating David Barton’s claims back in 1994, I decided upon a methodology for my investigation:

1.) Verify objective source materials

These materials include Supreme Court decisions and the major writings of prominent Founders. These items, especially the Supreme Court decisions, are completely objective since I was merely checking to see if the quotes were accurate and the claims about the specifics of the documents were factually true – even if I didn’t agree with his conclusions.

2.) Verify subjective materials

This category would include quotes from historians and various quotes from speeches of prominent Founders. I intended to verify if Barton was simply quoting only those people who agreed with him, or whether Barton was trying to fairly present both sides of the issue.

I discovered very quickly that Barton did not accurately quote the texts of many Supreme Court cases (a completely objective basis of judgment) and often mischaracterized the parts he did quote accurately. In fact, he has such a bad track record of quoting famous and widely-distributed documents, how can I trust him when he is allegedly quoting from one of his rare books that I do not have access to?

The man has absolutely no credibility with people who have carefully checked his work.

I don’t either. That’s why you shouldn’t trust Barton.