1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Readiness

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by untangled, Mar 16, 2005.

1. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brothers and Sisters,

There was an article in my local paper recently written about a study that UNC-CH did. I know they are a liberal school, but the article stated their poll/research seemed to lean towards Mormon students being more ready to defend their faith and seemed more serious.

This article got me thinking. Do you think there is an awareness in our time that Christians are not prepared enought to "give reason" for our faith? I hope this opens up some thoughts from others because this is an important issue to me. It is vital that we study "to show ourselves faithful". How are the educational ministries run at your church? Are they affective?

In Christ,

Brooks

2. Soulman

Soulman New Member

I think alot of Christians are ill equipped to defend their faith against the cults. The reason I believe is we consider it a waste of time to study their beliefs. We consider knowing the scriptures as adequate defense from false religion.

While this may be true in essence, we must remember that our beliefs are being studied by the cults. For example: JWs' are instructed 8 hours or more per week on how to counter the christian faith. I am not sure how much time the Mormons do, but they also do.

I think most christians would do well to gain a basic understanding of the cults in their area. Knowing the scriptures is first. A little knowledge can deflect some of the curve balls thrown at us.

3. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good Post Soulman,

That is true. However, what about even knowing our doctrine? Alot of Christians do not, I say this with concern. There is always room to grow. There is alot I must learn, just like people with PH.D's and people that have been studying the Bible their whole life. It is a life long study. Many Christians do not know about doctrine.

1. Theology Proper
    2. Soteriology
    3. Christology

Things like that. They don't need to know the big words or anything but I do believe that alot of people say they believe in God, but when asked about the nature of God they can not answer at times. Any comments??

In Christ,

Brooks

4. Soulman

Soulman New Member

You are right Untangled. The sad thing is that alot of christians don't even know how to adequately present the gospel so the Holy Spirit can work.

I have seen zealous christians invite JWs' into their homes only to get the tar kicked out of them. Once they get beat up over Jn chapter 3 they have nothing. The JW is particularly adept at confusing the unprepared christian. They know their doctrine and ours. They are prepared to go into the battle.

This is why Paul tells us to put on the WHOLE armor of God that we may beable to withstand the darts of the devil.

The bible teaches us that we are at war.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So have any one done some "homework" on cults since this thread started?
    Have you come across any cult members in the past few months?
    Are you more prepared to share the Gospel with a cult member.
    Do you think this was an important thread to bump up?

Salty

6. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

If by ready to defend you mean blindly insisting what they believe is true against all evidence and reason, then yes Mormons will defend. However if by defend you mean they are ready to make arguments to back up what they believe then absolutly not.

A good majority of Mormons dont have a clue what the doctrins of the LDS church are. And if you get two in a room and start talking about doctrne most of the time they will disagree with each other.

This is how Mormons defend their faith. They insist they are right and when you show them Biblical evidence they will respond with three arguments. 1. I have recieved personal revelation from god telling me that I am correct. 2. The LDS church recieves revelation that trumps the Bible. and 3. dont worry about that you just need to pray more you will see that we are right.

No matter what evidence you show an LDS person from the Bible he sees the LDS church as his ultimate athority for gods word. He also sees his faith in the LDS church as the only way to have faith in God. I have been told after wining a debate with an LDS family member that I care about alot, "I see what you are saying and I have no answer, but I will be rewarded for having faith in the church even though I can not see how I can be right"

I tried to explaine that his faith needed to be in Jesus and Gods Word and not his church. He rejected this outright saying that the only way to have faith in God is to have faith in this only true church. You can see how this make speaking with them difficult.

7. Maverick

Maverick Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sadly, DeeJay many Baptists aren't mch better off. The Mormons and other cults get more converts from Baptists than any other group.

8. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I think you are right, and I will never understand why people dont thirst to understand Gods Word. I dont know alot, but I learn more everyday and I want to keep learning.

Another thing, maybe living in Utah keeps me from geting to complacent. I mean, I am surounded by people that can and will chalange my beliefs at any time. Maybe that is why Mormons are complacent here and Baptists are complacent where there are Baptists a plenty. I bet Mormons in the south know what they believe.

9. jarhed

jarhed New Member

My experiences with Mormons has been the same as DJ above. If you present them with what thier church actually espouses they are like a calf looking at a new gate...they simply have no idea. JW's are a little different, but usually if you let them talk they will start pulling verses out of context. Make mental notes when they go to Is. and Collosions...then later, take them back to the context and introduce them to the one "made a little lower than the angels", being careful to show that "made" means "appointed" rather than created, and show them THERE in the passage they chose that he is "THE FULLNESS OF THE GODHEAD BODILY." It really comes down to US knowing what we believe and then giving them a little rope in conversation. At that point, I usually say something like..."I am not going to spend all day argueing with you, but I will pray that you come to Calvary, and to the saving knowledge of Christ, before it is eternally too late. You must be born again!" My contentions will not convince them...but the GOSPEL is THE power...I just have to use it. IMHO, in Christ, Jarhead.

PS: If you want to blow your mind go and study what the Mormons really believe about the nature and makeup of God. It is INSANE.

10. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

Christians in general are not equipped to defend their fatih. Few are trained in apologetics. That doesn't mean we can't fix this. We have to recognize who our enemy is in order to adequately preapre ourselves. That means we must be absorbed in the Word ourselves.

The cults are ready. We must be ready too.

11. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

When I teach cashiers about counterfeit money I teach them what a real bill looks like, I teach them the truth. I show them the watermarks of the portrait and stipe. I don't have to teach them all of the different ways counterfeits can be made, just what the truth is and then when they see something different they know it is counterfeit.

By analogy, If we teach people the truth about God and His Word then it is much easier to recognize the false. It does no harm to learn about the cults as it does no harm to show my cashiers a counterfeit bill (which I have done). The problem with most Christians is that they do not even no what the truth is, at least not enough to be able to convey that to someone else. they are content to "have it done pat" in their own minds without concerning themselves with the details. However, quality IS in the details.

Example: I donloaded this gif, uploaded it to some webspace, saved it into a graphics program, and was about to post it when I noticed something about it. Can you figure out what it is?

[​IMG]

12. bapmom

bapmom New Member

if they are quoting the verse, then its wrong. Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the LIFE.

[​IMG]

Ive heard the analogy about teaching cashiers what real money looks like many times. Its a great way to put what you just said!

13. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

We have a winner! :D