1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian "Rock"?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by william s. correa, Mar 20, 2006.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

These are inane arguments I was trying to keep away from. They are red herrings and have nothing to do with the topic of Christian music, or even the topic of what the Bible means by "worldliness" vs. "holiness." Eating pizza will do neither, and I am sure you know that. The chief aim of man is to glorify God. The subject of the thread is Christian music. So unless your Christian music is about pizza that glorifies God stay on topic.
    DHK

2. standingfirminChrist

Gold Dragon,

I would say that if your church brings the rock and roll style into it, it is also a worldly church in the light of God's Word.

Many scriptures have been shared to show we are not to delight ourselves in the worldly pleasures.

Rock and Roll, Hip-Hop, Rap, Pop, Reggae, all these originated in the world. Then the world was brought into the church.

The church is no longer looked at as a house of prayer as Jesus said it was; it has become the Laodicean church John wrote about in Revelation...

Revelation 3:14-22 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

3. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I know you believe that and I believe you have sincerely eisegeted God's Word. Don't worry, it happens to the best of us.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

I seldom repeat a post of my own, but I'm going to repeat part of one, because no one that says we're using the "devil's music" has been willing to address it:

the only attempt I saw at answering this involved a "heartbeat test."

My point? An additional nail in the coffin...not only can you not provide specific scriptural proof of a musical genre that is condemned, but you're going to find it impossible to assign certain individual songs to the prohibited genre with any consensus.

For instance...you might one day find out that some of you think the worship duo Shane and Shane are straight from the pits of hell, and others that rail against "Christian rock" will find their stuff very worshipful. What will you do when something "middle of the road" splits your group wide open? Scripture fragments quoted out of context won't help you much there.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

SFIC,
    Please don't stoop to casting such harsh judgements on my church. You're a better person than that.

God is absolutely blowing the doors off here...in growth, in impact to our community, and even numerically. Come join us one Wednesday night and see what God is doing.

6. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

My personal preference is for traditional music during the service. But, there is nothing in Scriptures that says that's necessary. (Remember, the Christians first rejected the organ as being "too Jewish"; later, the Jews rejected it as being "too Christian".)

I have heard albums of filthy hymns. People took traditional hymns and changed the words. Does that mean that we should no longer sing those hymns? After all, they've been perverted and polluted!

I don't want to attend a church that uses drums, bass, etc. But, I will not stoop to calling them evil, unless they pervert the Word of God.

7. william s. correa

william s. correa New Member

G God O only S Son P Prince of peace E everlasting L Love

8. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

:rolleyes: None of the Scripture you have posted came close to saying CCM is wrong.

9. standingfirminChrist

Having eyes to see, they see not. Having ears to hear, they hear not

10. Gib

Gib Active Member

Only 3 more pages [​IMG]

11. william s. correa

:rolleyes: None of the Scripture you have posted came close to saying CCM is wrong. </font>[/QUOTE]What is ccm?

12. william s. correa

I agree wholeheatedly, From Ray Charles perverting the Gospel to everyother false teacher or prophet, there is going to be a day of reckoning. Even these new perversions of the Bible like the HIV, oops i meant NIV etc..

13. standingfirminChrist

william,

CCM is what they call contemporary christian music

14. william s. correa

Ron, who are the many? No one will tell me. Have you talked to the many and they've told you they listen to Ozzy for their inspiration.

Does Steve Green listen to AC/DC?
    Does Larnell Harris listen to Queen?
    Does Twila Paris listen to Metallica?
    </font>[/QUOTE]What about this so called "POD" Christian head banggers, Fruitless, {1Timothy 4:1} Fruitcakes?

15. william s. correa

I agree, the topic was "have you ever heard of Christian Hate?" Sometimes but it was meant as a paradox Like Christian Liqour?, Ciggarrets,? etc... Christ will separate the sheep from the goats

16. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Most definitely. Will musical taste be an issue according to scripture?

17. william s. correa

Most definitely. Will musical taste be an issue according to scripture?

</font>[/QUOTE]Thats good stuff, If my garments are white Ill be ready to enter into Glory. Not of good that I have done Nothing but the Blood of Jesus.

18. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

This thread is ridiculous, and pointless. The only reason I post is to reach the page limit faster.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO SCRIPTURE dictating which music is condemned or condoned by God. With that being said, I will leave you with two verses. Are they about musical styles? No, b/c the Bible is silent on the subject. They are a reminder that the Lord knows the state of each of us spiritually. He knows our intent. He knows how much fruit we bear, or how many seeds we plant. If a seed is planted, or someone comes to Christ, through a CCM artist, or at a CCM concert, I am sure the Lord will be merciful and not cast that person out due to the circumstances that led them to Him in the first place. We can debate until we are blue in the face, but really, what is accomplished by it?

I Chronicles 28:9 KJV

And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the LORD searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee; but if thou forsake him, he will cast thee off for ever.

Proverbs 16:3 KJV

Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.

19. standingfirminChrist

Draw 'em with Rock and Roll, Rock and Roll will keep 'em.

Draw 'em with Christ, Christ will keep 'em.

20. standingfirminChrist

A wise man once said, 'If ya shoot at someone and miss, prepare to get shot at."