1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian School

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Ps104_33, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

For those of you with school age children, do you have them enrolled in a Christian school or a public school. Why or why not?

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Christian school. The class ratio is 1/2 that of public schools.

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Originally my girls were enrolled in a Christian school. One of my girls had a special need that was not/could not, be addressed adequately in the Christian school. The nearby public school provided a much better learning opportunity for her. The move was done after much research and prayer. I never regretted the decision to move them.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mine never were in public schools a day in their lives K-12. In one of the finest US Christian Schools (Lewisville, TX) until 6th grade (for daughter) and 8th grade (for 2 sons), then I homeschooled them through 12the grade.

Boys both went a year to State university, then all 3 went to Maranatha Baptist College in Watertown, WI, where they all graduated.

5. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

My children are all married now; but they attended a Christian School at our church (as soon as we started one). We have pre-school through Junior College.

It was so nice to have the same ideals, beliefs, and convictions we had at home upheld, agreed with, and reinforced by the school and the church.

Sue

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Mine attended public school k-12, christian school would never have been an option for us becasue of cost.

7. Popeye

Popeye New Member

Had them enrolled in a Christian School through our church 4 years for our son, 1 year for our daughter. Took them out because the cost was more than we could manage. Not to mention that the school was so strict and so academically difficult that our son couldn't handle the stress, and started not being able to sleep at night and wetting the bed. They gave about 4 hours of homework each night to him...and it got to the point that he stopped smiling and just cried all the time. It was a very unhealthy situation. The church school was not simpathetic or helpful. It's too bad too...you would think you were doing the right thing by having your kids in a Christian School, but unfortunately the experience was detrimental to the health and well being of our son.

Our kids attend a local public school now. The kids seem to be a little more well adjusted. Our son doesn't feel like a failure as much as he used to. But he's still not over the trauma.

8. swordsman

swordsman New Member

Homeschool

9. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife are in the same situation, but our children are still in Christian school. We have been contemplating putting them in public school, but we are so fearful of the "terrible" things we keep hearing about public schools. Have you or your children experienced anything negative?

Thanks,
    Michael

10. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife are in the same situation, but our children are still in Christian school. We have been contemplating putting them in public school, but we are so fearful of the "terrible" things we keep hearing about public schools. Have you or your children experienced anything negative?

Thanks,
    Michael
    </font>[/QUOTE]When I was in public school, they took certain students with leadership potential and had special classes for them (apparently they thought I had leadership potential). This was before I was saved, but I thought it was neat back then (early 1990's) when they would have us all sit in a room, they would turn the lights down, and they would give us a word to repeat over and over while envisioning ourselves in the most beautiful place we could imagine. The teacher at the front of the room would "guide" us through these "trips," appealing to us to examine our inner selves and to detach our minds from our bodies. Yeah, I remember public school, and that was 10 years ago! Oh yeah, then there was the extremely graphic sex ed class...I won't go into details about that.

Jason :D

11. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly New Member

I'll say up front that I have no children. Also, that I went to public school from 4th grade on up, and at no time did I attend a Christian school.

Whew! That out of the way . . .

I think about this issue a lot, because I figure I may well have a child one day.

Homeschooling appeals to me, but I don't know how I'll feel about putting aside my outside career to do it. At the moment, as much as it appeals to me, I can't envision myself being a stay at home mom/homeschooler. Yeh, yeh, I know - I'm young, I can't know the future. [​IMG]

If I decide to have my children schooled outside the home, I expect I'll look for a school that will provide the best education I can afford to give my children. If that's a Christian school, then that would be the place. If it isn't, then it'd be somewhere else.

My own experiences in public school (apart from being an outcast, but that happened at my church, too, so I can't attribute it to my school environment - it was just me ;) ) were good. I got a good education (although it could have been better), and the only explicit thing we learned in sex ed was the birth videos they showed us, which I guess were to deter us from having sex (there are better ways, methinks!). We didn't put condoms on bananas until college. [​IMG]

I guess my thinking is that school is school, and education is what's important about school. The rest, while not gravy, is something to instill at home.

12. Popeye

Popeye New Member

Our childrens public school focuss outside of regular academic studies is more on cultural awareness and civic responsibility rather than the chapel and Bible study of the Christian school.

Our children are still in grade school...so the sex ed. hasn't become an issue. As I understand it those classes are not mandatory, and in fact a written permission slip must be signed before the child will be allowed to be taught that subject.