1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian sciences fiction

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by John3v36, Nov 19, 2006.

1. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

Help:tonofbricks: I'm trying to find Good Christian Science fiction.:confused: Do you know of some.
    my son love SF and I have a hard time proof reading all the books he would read.
    I'm only coming up with 1 in 20 of what I read of letting him read.

HELP:BangHead:

2. BrianT

BrianT New Member

C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra and That Hideous Strength). It's not quite like modern science fiction, as it was written several decades ago, but it's still fantastic.

3. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

Thanks :thumbs: I have forgoten about them it been over 20 yrs from the last time I have read them.

do you know of other?:praying:

4. Allan

Allan Active Member

Peircing the Darkness, This Present Darkness, The Prophet, The Visitation, and many others - Frank E. Peretti

The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. - C.S. Lewis

There isn't much out there as many writters stay on present day or history type of writings.

I'm actually writting two books (Sci-Fi) One is a portal to a cross dimentional universe (to an old type of earth but not earth) and the other is kinda like a star wars. But don't hold your breath for them to come out soon. I haven't got much time to devote to them.

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Plenty of Christian writers out there selling trash.

I was never impressed with Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins Left Behind series but my kids seemed to like them.

Madeleine L Engle - A Wrinkle in Time and the various sequels. (classic book - does deal with witches though).

I'd suggest doing a web search on "Christian Science Fiction", there's tons out there, some better than others.

Here's one:
    Science Fiction/Fantasy Authors of Various Faiths

Walter Miller - A Canticle for Liebowitz. (tough to get started but worth it)

Robert Siegel - Whalesong (excellect)

Rob

6. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

7. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

Where can I find A Canticle for Liebowitz & Whalesong?
    ChristianBook.com does not have it

8. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

9. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rather than pre-read every book you give your son, I'd peruse the reviews @ Amazon.

Recognise that a "good" science fiction doesn't necessarily mean one with only Christian acting characters.

A good book will stretch your imagination and make you think.

A Wrinkle in Time

A Canticle for Liebowitz

Whalesong: A Novel About the Greatest and Deepest of Beings

Although not science fiction, I'd suggest A Once and Future King: it will build his vocabulary without him knowing it.

Rob

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The "Left Behind" series is good science fiction reading.

11. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

How old is your son? There are a great many older books that are fit to read that were not written by believers. Over the years I have collected many of the Grossett and Dunlap books (Illustrated Junior Library) as well as the Junior Deluxe editions by Nelson Doubleday.

Such as Swiss Family Robinson, Daniel Boone,Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The original Jungle book, Robinson Crusoe, Treasure Island and many more.

thjplgvp

12. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

13. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

0ne is 13 the other 12 both read above they level.
    We have all the books you listed and we have the entire old Tom Swift and Tom Swift Jr.
    However he wants SF or fantasy.

Thanks for the help
    :thumbs:

14. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

15. glenn316

glenn316 New Member

You might try some books by Stephen R. Lawhead
    He writes mostly in the fantasy genre.
    The Paradise War, The Silver Hand,
    and The Endless Knot form the "Song of Albion" Trilogy
    [​IMG]

16. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not totally comfortable with the concept of Christian science fiction. SF is full of unusual creatures, often from other planets, or other "dimensions," that are beyond the scope of human knowledge or Divine Revelation. In Jr. High, I did read Lewis's Out of the Silent Planet series, and was slightly uncomfortable with the message, even at that young age. As this has been @ 40 years ago, I don't remember a whole lot about them, so I can't get into a detailed discussion on them.

Anybody else have apprehensions?

17. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uncomfortable with the message?
    …or the uncomfortable with the way the message was conveyed?

Rob

18. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

Actually, some of both.

As best I remember, there were some extra-Biblical tenents in the message itself in the Space Trilogy.

19. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I don't have any problem with the idea of Christian science fiction. That is assuming that since it calls itself Christian it is not denying the existence of God nor trying to "demonize" faith, as alot of secular sci-fi does. Thing is, the Bible itself tells us that there is more to God's creation than we can even imagine.

To me, to consider that there might be aliens on other planets in no way denies God, nor is it anti-Bible. There are "extra-Biblical" truths.......things that are true and yet are not spelled out in the Bible. Just because the Bible does not specifically mention something does not mean that it cannot exist.

20. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, the basic idea behind SF is a technological advance or achievement and how it affects human beings. Lots of SF books have no beings other than humans.

But let's say that an SF book has a being from another planet. How would it affect our faith if such a creature existed? I say not at all! The Bible is silent on such things.

SF is little different from other types of fiction in that it portrays people and their conflicts and problems. In SF there are heros and cowards, rich folk and poor folk, strong people and weak people, people with faith and atheists. (In recent years there is more and more of a trend to have secular authors deal with faith issues in mainline SF.) :type: