1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Christian Standard Bible 2017

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Deacon, Jan 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katarina Von Bora

Katarina Von Bora Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have read this entire thread. I believe people are trying to get you to be more specific on the issues you claim or criticize. Generally speaking, people have reasons for calling one thing good and other things bad. I would like you to choose a few verses that you claim are too gender inclusive and then support your reasons for your conclusions. Show us a legitimate Bible that minimizes the authority and leadership of men. I hear this accusation often, but no one has ever produced the evidence.

My husband(Pastor) have more than 40 Bibles. We do have both the HCSB and CSB. There are some differences, but the biggest changes are the use of Yaweh, and Messiah. The HCSB, more than any other Bible helped me with prophecy. It's format was/is that good. Enough about me.

Please show us what your specific issues are.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This link sums up some major issue quite well!
    NIV Buyer Beware

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have used the HCSB, and did find it to be quite good. but still prefer a more formal version such as the Nas!

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do not even read your links. It's common knowledge that you do not read the contents of posts you quote.

Pastor King deals only with three passages (very lightly) to come to his conclusion.

I have given you solid quotes from learned scholars regarding Ps. 8:4 and Heb. 2:6. I have given them numerous times.
    And, as is your pattern, you have not interacted with the material I offered.

The other passage is John 6:44. The author doesn't like the way the NIV renders it because :
    "But by adding this corporate, plural meaning, NIV2011 appears to say that God is calling a people to himself."

Whew! Imagine that! Better ditch the NIV for that.

King's article is a big, fat NOTHING BURGER.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I entirely agree with you. But Y1 does not believe in backing up his wild charges. He's not into truth-telling. It's cowardly to lob sinful accusations only to run away from presenting documentation.

6. Katarina Von Bora

Katarina Von Bora Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's true that many Christian forums have people who are big on accusations, and very low on facts. It doesn't provide anything of value to the conversation.

As a reformed Baptist I certainly believe that God has chosen His elect.

The link is from Presbyterians who by definition are reformed. It also seems that this is the conservative branch. That's disturbing as well.

This link is from Daniel B. Wallace. It explains the reformed view. Better yet, he makes no attempt to belittle anyone.

Corporate Election

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do back them up , but the problem is that you are very rigid on your version of the Niv 2011. at times, almost like talking witha KJVO!

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You never give specifics. I have asked you for specific passages in the NIV that support your sinful charges. But you never give evidence of your worthless claims. And boy, have you ever made a mountain of nonsense charges against the NIV --and its translators. It's time for you to fess up.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's posts such as the above that demonstrate you need to be brought to heel.

This is from the Heidelberg Catechism:

Q. What is God's will for you in the ninth commandment?

A. God's will is that I never give false testimony against anyone, twist no one's words, not gossip or slander, nor join in condemning anyone without a hearing or without just cause. Rather, in court and everywhere else, I should avoid lying and deceit of every kind; these are the devices the devil himself uses, and they would call down on me God's intense anger. I should love the truth, speak it candidly, and openly acknowledge it. And I should do what I can do to guard and advance my neighbor's good name.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you deny that some of their "agenda" would be to get more of the understanding that the roles and distinctions between males/females now changed under the New Covenant?

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you think then that NONE of the people who rejected it had any reason to do such?

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More false testimony coming from your keystrokes.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You and I will just agree to disagree on this issue!

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have done nothing of the sort. I have asked you scores of times to back up your reckless assertions with facts --specifics. You NEVER have. I have asked and asked and it means nothing to you. You think you have the perfect right to demean a translation repeatedly for years on end and feel no need to ever list any passage that backs up your charges. That's just plain dishonest of you. You need to change.

Further you do this with a number of others on this board. It is your habit to hurl and never prove your case. You are shameful.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is for Y1. He quotes my entire post --yet does not interact with it at all. So typical of him

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have demeaned the Kjv, and you have made statements concerning the Esv, and I have not stated that the Niv was a bad translation, just that the 1984 edition was better to use, and the more formal versions are also!

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My points regarding the KJV and ESV have been about their use of English --especially the latter, as the English used in the KJV was from several hundred years ago. The ESV is a modern revision of the 1971 RSV. I have also maintained that it is a perfectly orthodox translation against attacks from folks such as Van.
    No, you are spouting falsehoods once again.

You have come up with all sorts of fabrications against the NIV for years on end. You have said the NIV:
    confuses the roles of men and women
    advocates women as pastors
    is a feminizing translation

And on and on and on. You never submit proof for your wild assertions. I have asked you do so for years. Others have chimed in as well asking you to back up your charges with facts. You have never had the honestly to do so.

Show me passages in the NIV that demonstrate your accusations are true.

You keep denouncing it but never documenting anything.

It has long been pass the time for you to put up or shut up.

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I posted several times various quotes and articles referring to the issues on the Niv 2011 and its issues, so did you not read any of them?

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can't be this dense. I have responded to every single link you have posted --most are utter junk. I have made detailed reponses. You know that very well. Why ask such an inane question?

It is up to you to defend yourself and cite passages once and for all. Passages that promote a blurring of gender roles --denies male headship in the home --advocates women as pastors and on and on.

You know I have been asking you to do this for years on end. Why in the world is is so hard for you to do the easiest thing possible? List the passages from the NIV that supposedly "go overboard." And then try to explain how it is possible to extrapolate any of the nonsense you have been spouting for years.

Go on and do it ---it will be a first. You are not entitled to lie about the translation at will and yet never give evidence.

Don't give any links. Do the work yourself. Be a man. Be an honest man. Be a Christian.

Don't make charges unless you are prepared to back them up. Show some integrity.

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My final word, as this is a fair review on the Niv 2011, as to boths its good and bad points!
    ww.waynegrudem.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/An-Evaluation-of-Gender-Language-in-the-2011-NIV.pdf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.