1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

christian standard bible

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by dawna marie, May 4, 2004.

1. aefting

aefting New Member

I don't like how the HCSB translates "Messiah" instead of "Christ." For example, in Acts 2:26:

"Therefore let all the house of Israel know with certainty that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Messiah!"

Yes, I know that Christ means the same thing as Messiah but I am so familiar with "Christ" that reading "Messiah" over and over again just sounds odd.

Andy

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I read that the phrase "if your eye is single" (or "healthy" or "sound" as in some translations) is an idiom that means being generous and the eye being evil (or "sick") is being stingy.

Since it's said in context of not accumulating treasures on earth (v. 19), that makes sense. Until I heard this explanation, this verse always sounded strange.

3. Michael52

Michael52 Member

Marcia

After my previous post and Keith M's. I read some information that explained the interpretation the same as you did. I then went on the HCSB's site. There, it now reads like other versions. That is, 'generous' and 'stingy' are replaced.

4. Michael52

Michael52 Member

Keith M

Glad your back. I pray your wife has a speedy recovery.

In this post to Trotter, of course, I meant "Keith M". My appologies to you and to "JeffM". I'm terrible with names anyway. It's doubly hard here on the BB, when you can't develop any "face-name coordination."

5. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Hi, Michael52...

You can call me "hey you" or you can call me "Billy Bob" or you can call me almost anything you like...just don't call me late for dinner! ;)