1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Christian Theological Systems

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Reformed, Aug 29, 2017.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are no gray areas in my faith. :D :D

2. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not in Southern Baptist circles that I have encoutered....I don't believe it, but I believe more do than not.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Looks like some gray on top...lol Hosea 7:9

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't want to mention it, but at least I have something on top! :D:D:D

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I knew you would go there....lol, but at least they are numbered among the remnant!
    I just make it easier to count.:Cautious

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was saved at the age of 38 in a sort of Brethren church that was rather weak on theology, and for a while I was like the robot in the film Short Circuit, urgently seeking input. I felt that there had to be a unity within the Bible as a whole if it was God-breathed, but no one in my church seemed to be able to point me to it.

I rejected Dispensationalism because Galatians 3 and Ephesians 2 point to there being only one people of God. I came first to the Doctrines of Grace because they reveal God to have a single infallible plan in salvation (eg. Ephesians 1:1-14; Titus 1:1-3), and then to Covenant Theology because it has that inherent unity between Old and New Covenants and because it encourages one to find Christ in the OT which is what we are encouraged to do (John 5:39-40, 46; Luke 24:27).

I have considered New Covenant Theology and rejected it because it appears to have the Lord Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount to be contradicting the Law rather than giving the proper interpretation of it, which is what He is doing. In other words, it destroys the unity of the Scriptures and sets the Son against the Father.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I am a progressive gospel dispensationalist. I believe that God has always used the conscience and/or revealed law to convict sinners and have always used the gospel to convert sinners from Genesis 3:15 to Revelation. In a technical sense there has been "Christians" since Genesis 3:15 or believers in the Messiah/Christ (Acts 10:43). I believe since the fall of man there has only been two possible kinds of humans - saved versus lost, those in the flesh versus those in the Spirit, children of God versus children of Satan. I believe the kingdom (rule) of God has been on earth since Genesis 1:26 and with the fall of man another kingdom was introduced or the rule of Satan and with it the family of Satan or the seed of the serpent.

I believe that the Israel was a type of the elect (12 tribes) including the church (13th tribe - Levites). That "all Isael" in the ethnic sense will be saved yet in the future and all the gospel promises given to the Israel are gospel promises that all elect in all ages both before the institution of Israel and after the coming of Christ share equally.

I believe there is no such thing as "Old Testament scriptures" versus "New Testament Scriptures" but agree with apostles that there is simply "other scriptures."

I believe God set up through Moses a visible administration in the kingdom of God on earth prior to the first coming of Christ and I believe Christ set up a new visible administration in the kingdom of God at His coming. The Mosaic visible administration consisted of the Temple, priesthood and ordinances and the commission to Israel. The Messianic visible administration consists of the congregational institution, ministry and ordinances and commission to the congregation.Under both administrations the elect of God (true kingdom citizens, family of God) exceeded both administrations. Under both visible administrations I believe the PROFESSING people of God (kingdom citizens, family) far exceeded total number of true elect on earth at any given time (Mt. 13).

I believe the kingdom rule of God begins within a fallen human being by new birth and then God's rule is manifested through that reborn person in their thoughts, words and actions but will not be made perfectly and visible manifest in this world until Christ returns to establish his eternal manifest rule on this earth. At that point in time election of Israel as a nation to salvation will occur (Rom. 11:25-32; Rev. 1:7) and "all Israel" as an ethnic nation will be saved and rule with Christ over this present world until the final enemy - death is vanquished usher in an eternal rule in a new heaven and new earth.

And no, I don't expect to many will take sides with my entire view while some may share parts with me.

#27 The Biblicist, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  8. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe there are/will be only three dispensations -

1.) The Old Covenent, including the time before God gave it to Israel.

2.) the new Covenant, which we are now under.

3.) The world and universe to come.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you believe in a pre-wrath rapture of the church?

10. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a Covenant Theologian. I believe God deals with His people in a series of covenants, as opposed to dispensations. Not all covenants are equal. The Old Covenant pointed towards the New Covenant, which is the Covenant of Grace. God has always had one called-out people based on faith, not by natural or parental origin. I do not hold to a pre-wrath rapture of the church. CT's do have differing millennial positions (historic Premil, Amil, and Postmil). I am Amil (although I hold to it loosely). I am looking forward to a visible return of the Lord Jesus Christ, the final judgment, and the blessed hope of the eternal state where I will see my Lord.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I believe there is one true gospel from Genesis to Revelation.
    I believe the true nature of God's kingdom/rule from Genesis to Revelation is dual in nature (internal rule that is externally manifested)
    I believe there is but one covenant of redemption and that is the everlasting covenant (Heb.13:20) and all other covenants are manifestations of that covenant
    I believe the "old" versus the "new" covenants are visible covenant administrations of the "everlasting covenant" within the kingdom of God on earth, the latter being a superior administration.

12. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I agree with that if I understand it.