1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian TV

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Dianna, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Dianna

Dianna New Member

(Please move if not in the right place)

I have a few Christian tv stations...TBN,ILife and Inspiration. Are there any shows on there that anyone would recomend that are biblically sound in teaching?

I had turned on one of the channels when I got up. It was the end of a show, can't recall the name of it, but the preacher was Binny Hinn..I know nothing about him, but was taken back when he was saying he needs to raise 6 million dollars for a private jet so he can share the gospel and is asking for $1,000 per donation.

Is this how most of the preachers on these channels are? Are they there to share God's word or to make money?

Should these channels just be avoided? Or are there some who are really there to share the gospel and not trying to get into people's wallets?

Dianna

2. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

I say TV should be avoided altogether IMO. False prophets and false teachers like the one you mentioned are more damaging than a lot of what we see out of the ungodly sinful sitcoms. We know that a sinner is going to act like a sinner, but when a so called man of God is doing and saying some of the things that you mentioned it causes great damage to the church.

3. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

I would probably second deacon jd's opinion about Chrisian TV as far as for believers who are not well grounded in what they believe and why they believe the Bible teaches it. There is an AWFUL lot of views on "Christian" television.

But that's not much unlike what one could find on a board like this :)

So if you choose to watch I would pray for discernment and then consult with God in prayer about what you have heard and seen and then also with a brother or sister that you believe to be firmly rooted in Scripture.

If you want to watch someone that does a great job of showing some of the historical aspects of the Bible I would highly recommend Perry Stone. However, he is one that you have to be careful with theologically, but if you watch for a historical understanding he can be extremely valuable in my opinion.

He talks alot about the customs of the day and is has very visual props which really helps me. You can also find him online as well, and you can watch his shows from his website if you miss them during the week.

4. Dianna

Dianna New Member

Well this whole topic has caused some(not here on this board) to have major issues with me. I mentioned on a Christian email list today about Benny Hinn, wanting more information, saying it didn't settle well regarding him asking for 6 million dollars...wow...I was told that I should never say anything against the Lord's Anointed, that I will now have to stand in judgement before God beacuse of this...I didn't say anything about the man...I don't know anything about him, I wanted to know more. I don't personally believe that just because someone is preaching means that person is preaching God's word...and I am going to question, because I am not going to be corrupted by false teachers. I see nothing wrong with questioning things...I do not think we should sit back blindly and just say that what everyone does and says is ok. So now I am the bad one for wanting more information, now I am being judged ....it was said when my email was read..a three sentence email asking for more information about him, that this person's heart broke because of what I had just done.

I don't think I was wrong. I just don't know how to defend myself.

Dianna

5. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

I have to agree with you about Perry Stone. He can really make the Old Testament "come alive" like nobody else I've ever seen.

6. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

Dianna, you can tell them that the scripture they use, "don't touch God's annointed," has nothing to do with modern-day heretics like Benny Hinn, Kenneth and Gloria Copeland, Charles Capps, Paul & Jan Crouch, and a whole lot more in the "name it and claim it" and "kingdom now" crowd. That scripture refers to the nation of Israel, not counterfeit or genuine pastors. Benny Hinn loves to distort scripture like that. Your detractors are way off base if they condemn you and hold you up to judgment for your viewpoint. God certainly won't. Tell them if they want to debate come see me.

The one pastor you can trust on "Christian" TV is the playbacks of the deceased Pastor Adrian Rogers, a real man of God, called to preach the gospel. Charles Stanley preaches more from a sociological-psychological viewpoint, but there's nothing phony about him. Ed Young is another good pastor.

7. Dianna

Dianna New Member

Thank you. I will look into that scripture. I have step away from that list for now to collect my thoughts and find out if it is worth it staying around.

Dianna

8. Pete

Pete New Member

Dianna, sadly Benny Hinn is poison, and that poison infects his fans. A quick web surf on him will give a list a mile long of false teachings and prophecies he has come out with over the years. Although I haven't seen all the TBN crowd that are mentioned on the BB now and then, the ones I have seen like the Copelands, Joyce Meyer, etc are in the same boat as Benny....That boat being RMS Titanic ;)

Now and then they'll come out with something good, however "Even a stopped watch is right twice a day."

It's as J. Jump said, watch some, but watch others closely :)

9. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

For whom is so-called "Christian Television" really intended, anyway? Are there significant numbers of non-Christian persons who watch it, hoping to learn and to respond to the Gospel? Or, if there are non-Christians watching, is it not likely that they come away with their distrust of Christianity confirmed because of so much of what they see?

If, on the other hand, "Christian Television" is supposed to equip believers, then the misinformation, self-serving, and emotional antics doesn't do that effectively either. As for me, if I am going to watch any TV to inform my faith, I'll get it from the History Channel or from PBS. I may not agree with everything presented there, but I can at least sense that there is a degree of objectivity in it.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Dianna, it's good to stay away from TBN. Among some, it's known as The Blasphemy Network. While they might have a handful of decent teachers on it, most are in the Word Faith category or are Oneness (deny the Trinity).

Benny Hinn is either totally deceived or is a fraud. He has made false prophecies and has taught heresy. Yet he is very popular. The discernment level in the church is extremely low, and is falling.

The Word Faith movement has aberrant and heretical teachings. Some of the WF crowd are Benny Hinn, Joyce Meyer, T D Jakes (he is also Oneness), Rod Parsley, Kenneth and Gloria Copeland, Frederick Price, Kenneth Hagin, Charles Capps, Joel Osteen (he's more subtle), and many others. Do a search on Google with a phrase like Word Faith biblical or something like that and you will get lots of articles showing the problems.

11. Dianna

Dianna New Member

I saw one of Joyce Meyer's show the other day as so many people have been recommending her....I had trouble sitting through the whole thing.... When did preaching of God's word stop, preaching of Jesus stop and preaching about sucess in money and material things become the trend?

Dianna

12. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

NO, for all the false teachers and bad theology on those stations you'd be better off watching MTV. They have more redeeming quality programming than any of the so called "Christian" stations.

13. Pete

Pete New Member

Heard a great message this morning on the 10th commandment that should have been videoed and sent to every prosperity teacher on the planet. I told bloke that preached that if he ever does that message again to let me know and I'll make a dvd of it.

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

It's very sad to see Joyce Meyer popular with a lot of evangelical women, but she is. I have watched her a few times and I cannot see the appeal. She turns me off.

I think the preaching with success and money has been around awhile - not sure when it started - but the Word Faith people have it nailed down to a T.

15. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I wonder how many of the people who watch Joyce Meyers religiously realize that she is/has been under investigation for tax fraud. I don't know about you but I personally have trouble with her claiming a 4.2 million dollar home as a parsonage when the average parsonage in St Louis is around 75K -100K. It's even fishier when she is the chair of the financial committee of her "ministry".

16. ZeroTX

ZeroTX Member
    Site Supporter

The best Christian network I know of is EWTN, on cable, satellite or live streaming from:

http://www.ewtn.com/

I would stay away from the nutbars on the other networks mentioned! :tonofbricks:

-Michael

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I don't know whether to say you or fortunate or not.
    We don't get "Christian TV." The Canadian Radio and TV Commission (CRTC) rules are not permitted to have any TV station that is solely Christian. Even TBN is out. We have a religious station. The closest I have seen is that charlatan Peter Popov to represent Christianity. There is a program for Sikhs and Hindus, one for the EOC, quite a few that praise the name of Allah, one for Christian Science, a Catholic program, and yes as I look at the guide I see that Benny Hinn has one spot open in the early morning.
    The aboriginal people have an entire station to themselves.
    DHK

18. ZeroTX

ZeroTX Member
    Site Supporter

Sounds awful. I hope you can get satellite TV there. C-band anyone?

-Michael

19. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

EWTN......isn't that the one where they show this one old Nun leading a roomful of younger nuns in Hail Marys for like an hour at a time?

20. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

That's the one, Brian.

EWTN is Catholic based programming. It is a channel to steer clear of more than the others.