1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian twelve step programs ?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SAMPLEWOW, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Jannee

Jannee New Member

Reply by Guitarpreacher:

No mention of sin? #4 says "Openly examine and confess my faults to God, myself, and to someone I trust" That's pretty straightforward repentance of sin
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Guitarpreacher,

You ask "No mention of sin?" to paidagogos. The word sin is obviously not mentioned in that statement so you don't need to question this right ? :confused:
    This statement does use the word faults. Where and what bible translation states you need to confess your faults? I know we are to confess our sins.
    I am awaiting your Godly response to bapmom and paidaagogos regarding CR. We have considered the CR program also. I know a few people who's lives were changed dramatically after using it.
    paidagogos has offered scripture to back it up what he says, and has responded with integrity.

Please Pastor, can I expect no less from you?

2. william s. correa

william s. correa New Member

Our pastor says take the "One step program": toward Jesus and you can't go wrong there.

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

that's true, william.

But oftentimes addicts need more help on HOW to take that one step towards Jesus. There are unique and severe problems to be dealt with and overcome. That's what I think Christians have for the most part ignored and why we simply let fallen addicts go back into their sin. We are thinking "well, they didn't really mean it"....and we let them go on their "merry" way. When in reality they are crying out for us to help them take that step (the one beyond salvation), because they don't know how.

4. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

What you are talking about is nothing new and it is Biblical. It's called discipleship. IMHO, RA is not a 12-step program, fraught with mystical and psychological trappings, but it is a Biblical discipleship program geared toward addicts and drunks. However, any new Christian could benefit. Thoughts?

5. bapmom

bapmom New Member

absolutely true, paidagogos.

It is called an addictions program as a descriptive term that the secular world can identify with, but they call their Strongholds course a discipleship course because that's really what it is. They actually do emphasize the fact that they are not a 12-step program.

The hard part at my church has been getting people to become involved in RU who do NOT have some sort of substance abuse problem....because they've identified it with that and so they don't think it can do them any good, OR they think they can't be a leader or worker in it because they've not had those experiences.

6. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

bapmom--

Been reading the Reformers Unanimous forum on the Fundamental Baptist Forum board. This is definitely NOT a 12 step program. I was involved in a 12 step program for 10 years (my late husband was a drunk and drank himself to death). 12 step programs are NOT biblical--and just tacking on "Christian" terminology to a secular program does not make it "Christian".

I wish I had gotten involved in RU instead of Al-Anon. The teaching that "alcoholism" is a disease from which you never "recover" instead of a sin from which you are able to be "delivered", keeps one in "bondage".

He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. (Psalms 40:2)

7. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Amen Linda, that's completely right.