1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Christian?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Reformed, Aug 7, 2014.

1. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If not "Reformed Catholic" then, what is it you are trying to say,by stating you are reformed?From Augustinianism? From good to bad. From sinner to saved. explain what you are reformed from?
    MB

2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My screen name indicates that I am in agreement with many aspects (but not all) of Reformed theology. I am not what is called big "R" reformed. I do not agree with infant baptism or Presbyterian polity. If you deduce anything more than that then you can join quantum in the vivid imagination category.

3. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Questionable???? Perhaps in your eyes and those like minded to you. I am proud (without arrogance) to be tolerant (as you say). And you know various stances that I have taken.....you just don't like them. (tough cookies)

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't let it bother you Dave.

5. quantumfaith

I try not to, but sometimes my testosterone gets the better of my judgement in reacting.

6. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's ok. Icon-o-lastic has all the mysteries of God figured out through his web links. He's the only one who's truly on track, and everyone except him is deficient.

I wonder how long it will be before he builds a ranch and starts a cult.

7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    arrogance comes in many forms my academic friend:thumbsup:

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    ALL the mysteries of God....hardly. Your error....yes....Have got that figured out. My views are in line with the Historic confessions of the church, not novelties and schismatic persons questioning the scriptures themselves, questioning justification by faith, and embracing antinomian philosophy.:thumbsup:

9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    quantumfaith

over time yes there are many questionable teachings that excite you....
    Federal Vision, Npp, theistic evolution,

great....:wavey: glad you are happy sitting in a church where the pastor has an adulterous sodomite and his "friend" looking to serve as the live in open sin, while the wife gets rebuked....as long as they sing some happy happy choruses.....you are correct....I do not like them just as you do not like the teachings and writers that I link to.:wavey:

10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Too many people want to know other's labels so that it gives them a target to shoot their arrows at. :laugh:

I hide behind nothing, and tell them I'm a CHRISTian....

I'm proud to be a christian,
    I'm proud to wear His name.
    Jesus Christ is my Saviour,
    Of Him I'm not ashamed.
    On a hill called Golgotha,
    They nailed Him to a tree.
    It was there that my Saviour,
    Was not ashamed of me.

11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "And since you would know by what name I would be distinguished from others; I tell you, I would be, and hope I am, A CHRISTIAN; and choose, if God should count me worthy, to be called a Christian, a Believer, or other such name which is approved by the Holy Ghost (Acts 11:26). And as for those factious titles of Anabaptists, Independents, Presbyterians, or the like, I conclude, that they came neither from Jerusalem, nor Antioch, but rather from hell and Babylon;" — John Bunyan, Peaceable Principles and True

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good post, good quote.....thank you!:thumbsup:

13. quantumfaith

:applause::applause::applause:

14. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My problem maybe a lack of imagination. You see Rippon stated that he was not reformed Catholic. He claims to be reformed. However John Calvin was a reformer of the Catholic faith. He didn't invent his faith. He learned his faith by being a Catholic first. That is the doctrines put forth by Augustine.

This thread is about labels and the use of them to note a persons beliefs. Simply being just a reformer is not complete in it's description of what a reformer would believe. Just as being a Christian doesn't completely describe a Christian's belief. It seems you and others are unhappy with the complaint of your descriptions of the beliefs of others yet your self claim a label that doesn't fit you completely either.

I've known Quantum on this board for a long time and truthfully he is one of the most well grounded people on this board who believes in the doctrines of Grace. A brother should be built up, not run down.

MB

15. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I simply told you what my screen name indicates. Anything more than that is your imagination at work.

Did you read the exchange between the both of us?

I never called or insinuated he was deficient. All I said is that labels are just a way to define what a person believes. For some unknown reason he took exception to that.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, he was not. He was a former Roman Catholic who was converted by Jesus Christ.
    Of course not. He was given faith by the Lord.
    No, he grew to understand the Christian faith by assiduously studying the Word of God.
    That is not how he came to faith.

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some prefer “Christian” not because they are uncertain of their beliefs, but because they are not inclined to form an identity on their own understanding. I don’t mind labels. If I ever stand at the doors of a church and the sign reads “Snake handlers”….or anything with “snakes,” then I would appreciate that label.

That said, both of these:

are arrogant posts. “Calvinism” as a label does not “glorify man” (as I’m sure Rev knows, he seems to be an articulate and insightful pastor). I don’t even know where to start with Iconoclast’s remarks…other than to say I hope it was a knee-jerk reaction rather than a thought out post (he does not typically, in my experience, offer such stereotypical nonsense).

18. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I "label" myself as being a Christian, who attends/fellowships in a Baptist church, and who holds to the Doctrines of grace as regarding salvation, but Dispy in all other things...

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The thing about labels is that they are not too hard to tear off. It is different with identity. :smilewinkgrin:

20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John Calvin did NOT get his views of theology from what he was taught by Rome, but from the very word of God...