1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christianity: Rules or Relationship

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by David McMillian, Mar 22, 2005.

1. David McMillian

David McMillian New Member

It is my goal in this topc to prevoke thought. Is christianity all about rules and regulations or is it about having a relationship with the Almighty Creator? The reason I ask this is because I have been to a number of churches (all independent baptist mind you)that taught the christian life was about all these rules you had to keep. If you had your devotions everyday and kept your hair cut just right and didn't go to the movies and didn't listen to any kind of music but their style, and dressed right etc. you were considered spiritual and these things made you holy. Well I recently found and joined a church that teaches what I believe to be the real truth about this subject as taught from the holy scriptures. Jesus came to this earth, shed his blood, died in our place and rose again so that we could have a relationship with him. Out of this relationship flows the things that I know that bring him pleasure and I seek to do those things, because of our relationship. I would like to hear what anyone has to say about this.

because of Him.

2. terriloo

terriloo New Member

Congratulations, David! You have found exactly what I am currently searching for (and have been for some time). My continued search has been prolonged through several moves to different areas over the last few years...but I seek exactly what you've found.

I currently semi-regularly attend a church 30 miles away, as a guest of my father. I also am visiting other churches in my local area. So far, none except my father's church "fit right"....and I don't mean they don't fit right because of what I get from the service--but rather from what is taught--and practiced--there. Some of the churches I've tried are so "lukewarm" that I wonder how they're still going--the members go through the motions on Sunday morning, and that's just about it. Other churches have fit the description of your experience--so legalistic that there is no room for God's grace in the equation. But at my Dad's church I hear the Good News preached and sung; I hear prayer requests and praises offered up by a congregation knit together by the love of Christ; and I SEE them come together for each other in times of crisis and need--loving each other just as Jesus instructed His church. It's been kinda hard to equal THAT locally. But I keep searching for the church family that awaits me.

I praise God for your new church home! [​IMG]

3. Monergist

Monergist New Member

Christianity is not about either/or, its about both. To set 'relationship' over against 'rules' is to create a false dichotomy. Its simply impossible to have a relationship of any type without some rules. Rules exist, maybe unspoken or maybe clearly stated, in each and every relationship you have.

Jesus said "If you love me you will keep my commandments?" Would not the corollary of spurning his commandments (or rules) be to not love (hate) him?

It sounds as if your old church may have substituted the law (rules) of men for the law of God. If that is true and it becomes clear that the church has departed from scripture, then it would be proper to seek a new church home. However, one should be extremely careful that the problem is not that the church is faithful to the Word of God and that causes a problem for us, but that they are indeed adding to the Word of God.

A church, however, that stresses 'relationship' to the exclusion of 'rules' is just as false and deadly as one which adds to the law which God has given. Find yourself a place that preaches the whole counsel of God-- that's where you need to be to grow.

Let me add that I know firsthand the type of IFB church that stifles with legalistic rules. The first 20+ years of my life were spent there. I'll pray that God will give you direction.

4. Gib

Gib Active Member

Great topic. Doesn't really have much to do with music and would probably get more response in the General Discussions.

5. David McMillian

David McMillian New Member

I'm new to this site so please forgive me if I posted on the wrong topic. Join me in general baptist discussions in which will post a simular topic. Enjoyed both replies. God bless.

6. Gib

Gib Active Member

Nothing to forgive. No one said you couldn't post it here.