1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christians and alcohol

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by hillclimber1, Dec 10, 2006.

1. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

TP, I described what I would do. He has been sober for 11 years. I knew him 12 years ago, when he was a slobbering unemployed drunk. I'm not that often around him nowadays. Maybe every couple of weeks. He is a great guy, a real pleasure to be around. My comment was to identify my reaction to anyone who would even suggest that he take a drink, not his need for my presence.

2. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

But weren't the people at the wedding drunk? But on the other hand it's also hard to imagine that Jesus' first miracle was making vine for drunk people.

3. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

didnt say that

4. Dustin

Dustin New Member

Yes, in moderation consumption of alcohol is acceptable. I think it was Martin Luther who once said "It's better to think of church in the ale house, than of the ale house in church." That being said, I ascribe to Reformed theology and attend a Presbyterian church where wine is served weekly with the Lord's Supper. That's biblical doctrine being practiced, as Christ commanded us to do. I don't see a problem with my Baptist brethren who use grape juice, I see no problem in how my church uses real wine, we're both fully assured in our own minds.

Grace and Peace to you,
    Dustin

5. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

OK, so slapping down anyone who would not necessarily know of his recovery, yet want to be hospitable, is a Christian response in your eyes.

Got it.

6. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

It's unlikely that anyone was drunk at the wedding feast. More likely that, after having a glass or three, their tastebuds wouldn't have known the difference between good wine and poor, thus the steward's surprise.

7. Smoky

Smoky Member

The steward was supprised because he was speaking about his experiences with other feasts in general and not necesarrily about this particular feast. Jesus would never have given alcoholic to people who were already drunk! Whether the wine He made was alcoholic is another debate, and is not clearcut either way.

8. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Smoky, in order to keep grapes from becoming wine, you have to pasteurize them. The natural state of crushed grapes is to produce alcohol.

9. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

The way you tied them together made it sound like that is what you meant.

I love the excuses people come up with to try and keep their no alcohol beliefs. Wine is wine, not grape juice. If it says it is wine than that is what he meant. Funny many of the people who play word games with wine are the same ones who play word games with "This is my body." I wonder if there is a correlation.

10. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

If you believe that all wine references in the Bible are references to alcoholic wines, then would not verses such as Prov 23:31,32 support that Christians should not drink alcohol?

"Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright. At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder." - Proverbs 23:31-32

11. mman

mman New Member

So......... What is God's definition of drunk? .1? .09? .08? .06? .03?

I'm sure many rationalize their drinking and state that it's ok as long as I don't get drunk. Just how close can you get to the edge without falling off.

When you take that first step, you are walking toward a cliff that you don't know how far away the edge is.

So, as Christians, we are to avoid every form of evil (I Thess 5:22).

I know what the safe ground is. I don't drink any alcohol. Therefore, I cannot get drunk, regardless of what God's definition is of being drunk and I am avoiding what many people regard as evil. Lastly, I seriously think it would be a stumbling block to some of my Christian brothers and sisters. Based on these principles, it would violate my conscience, thus for me, it would be sinful. Furthermore, I do not judge those who think otherwise.

12. Smoky

Smoky Member

Tragic, I'm just saying that I don't believe Jesus gave alcoholic wine to people who were already drunk. Do you?

13. Smoky

Smoky Member

Gosh, I'm not trying to come up with excuses, I just don't believe Jesus would give alcoholic wine to drunk people. Do you?

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Did He keep breaking the bread and fish after those who ate first were "well full" in feeding the multitude? Would He have been tempting them to be gluttons by doing so?

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Let's use this same flawed logic...

What's God's definition of "gluttony" .5 sandwiches? 1? 1.5? 2? 2.5?

I'm sure many rationalize their gluttony and state that it's ok to eat anything as long as they don't commit gluttony. Just how close can you get to the edge without falling off. When you take that first step, and put any food in your mouth, you are walking toward a cliff that you don't know how far away the edge is.

So, as Christians, we are to avoid every form of evil (1 Thess 5:22")

I guess you should never eat again, huh :BangHead:

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No. That verse says nothing of drinking, but what happens "at the last" (too much).

17. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Are you suggesting that it is alright to drink it blind folded?

18. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Interesting. I didn't know that many Presby churches (USA, PCA, EPC, or other) had weekly observances or served actual wine.

19. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Once again people need to read the whole proverb not just the part that appears in their concordance.

It is a warning against drunkness not a warning against wine in general.

You forgot driving a personal vehicle, using money, and the use of intrumental music because some people consider them to be evil too. :tongue3:

20. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

This has been addressed.