1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christians and romance novels

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by abcgrad94, Feb 12, 2009.

1. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As an avid reader, I think church libraries should contain a variety of Christian books to offer as an alternative to secular books. This would include fiction and non-fiction books, biographies of missionaries, children's stories, as well as reference and devotional materials.

I have been blessed by reading many Christian romance novels. Grace Livingston Hill was a wonderful Christian writer and her books are wholesome and positive. Lori Wick includes the plan of salvation in every one of her Christian romance novels, and her characters demonstrate Christian living. C.S. Lewis wrote non-romantic "fantasy" books that have blessed many. So, I think as long as the book is written by a Christian author with a godly reputation, I have no problem having their books in the church library.

I have never felt the need to compare my dh with a romantic hero, but I have been convicted of reading novels while forgetting to read my Bible. I think the key is to remember to read one's Bible before, or at least as often, as one reads other Christian material, and to be consumed with God and not by things of this world.