1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christians get involved in Politics?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, May 6, 2012.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a controversy and something I am trying to figure out. Looking at the OT and how the prophets acted I think I can make a case that Christians should be involved in politics. However the NT things do not appear to be the same. So I have consulted authors and I am getting different reactions. Stanley in 1 book argues very much that Christians should be involved in Politics. David Jeremiah & Erwin Lutzer also make similar cases in some of their books. I heard RC Sproul say on the radio once that Christians can be involved in politics. However John MacArthur has a made a strong case in sermons and in some of his books that they should not be. So what do you say?

John

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We need to have a presence, but that needs to not carry over into the pulpit.

3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps, or perhaps not. Whats your arguments?

4. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

I know of no prohibition in Scripture addressing a Christian's involvement in his government. As a practical matter, though I am a Christian, I still have the rights and responsibilities of the citizenships that I hold.

Anyone know where this notion even originated?

5. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Carry over into the pulpit in what way and why not?

6. select20

select20 New Member

I don't see a problem. This nation was founded as a christian nation, "In God We Trust" is on all our money, etc. Although America is going down the toilet, it was has been a blessed nation.

Also to correct you a bit, the big no no is religion and Politics shouldn't mix. In a country of religious freedom, we don't want a Muslim President or Congress forcing Sharia law on everyone.

Another point, Democracy only can work long term in a Christian Society where we hold ourselves accountable with the Bible. Start getting away from that and it will not work. If the bible isn't our compass it cannot work long term. Look at how America is getting away from God, and see the consequences. We're destroying ourselves.

There is nothing wrong with Biblical Truth in Politics since it is of God.

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen :) Get the books by the pastors I mentioned.

8. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I have been involved in politisc most of my adult life, however that isn't how I was taught as a child. In our Presbyterian Church we were taught it was better not to get involved in politics, God was in control. They would show how God used different leaders of heathen nations to work out His plan in the Bible.

I'll also list Spurgeon who wasn't for Christians being involved in politics.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Not from the Constitution. We have the freedom to worship as we please, and to have no state religion. That has nothing to do with a leader of a church getting up and addressing issues in a campaign, especially ones that related to a Christian walk and morality, like right to life, traditional marriage, etc. One might be able to make the argument that bread and butter, or secular issues have no place at the pulpit, but that is what the local church decides. That is why we are autonomous.

As far as where the notion originated, over the years, a Constitutional principle has evolved called "seperation of church and state." While to a degree I agree with the principle as a practical matter, it is not per say in the Constitution. In other words, there is no where in the Constitution that limits speech from a pulpit. It limits the government's interference in our spiritual lives.

The only thing that bothers me personally about the whole matter, is when I see a posting or picture that shows a direct alliance of the Lord with either political party. To me, that is just asking for a lightning bolt. There might be a few things further from a Holy God than the Democrat or Republican Party, but it would take some thought.

About your last point, yes, I think for the freedom and liberty we have in this nation, at a high price, we should exercise our vote, work in a campaign. I work with the Constitution Party locally.

10. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

My question is this:

Would you rather be governed by atheists, or Muslims, or Hindus?

I wouldn't.

John

11. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

So true.

Carry over into the pulpit in what way and why not?

I should clarify. I'm curious why, from the perspective of the church, some of those in the pulpit hold that Christians ought not be involved in government.