1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christmas books

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by rlvaughn, Jan 4, 2019.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One thing I like about Christmas is that I usually get some new (or old) books out of the deal. Here's what I received this year:
    • Echoes of the Call: Identity and Ideology among American Missionaries in Ecuador, Jeffrey Swanson, Oxford University Press, 1995
    • Frontier Mission: a History of Religion West of the Southern Appalachians to 1861, Walter Brownlow Posey, University of Kentucky Press, 1966
    • Hallowed Hymns: a Companion of Hallowed Songs, Philip Phillips, New York, NY: Philip Phillips, 1871
    • Precious Hymns for Times of Refreshing and Revival, Thomas Harrison, Philadelphia, PA: John J. Hood, 1886
    • Pure Gold for the Sunday School: a New Collection of Songs, Prepared and Adapted for Sunday School Exercises, Robert Wadsworth Lowry and William Howard Doane, New York, NY: Biglow and Main, 1871
    • Royal Diadem for the Sunday School, Robert Wadsworth Lowry and William Howard Doane, New York, NY: Biglow and Main, 1873
    Did any of you get new books? If so, what?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • The Hebrew Bible, a translation with commentary (3 volumes) by Robert Alter (2018)
    • The Mote in God’s Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle (classic sci-fi novel, first edition hard back, 1975)
    • The Hanish Novels & Stories by Ursula K. Le Guin

Also by wife graciously allowed me to visit 5 used bookstores while we were vacationing.
    Picked up:
    • A Leather-bound Dakes Annointed Reference Bible (1987) $5 (like new, virtually unused, won’t see much use from me either)
    • The New Testament, An American Translation, Godspeed, first edition 1923, $5 (sitting amidst Weymouth’s and Phillips NT and Today’s English Version).
    • My third copy of Bernard Ramm’s A Christian View of Science and Scripture, first edition 1954, $4 - my introduction to hermeneutics and how it relates to science... quite dated now.
    • And an old hardback edition of Charles Lee Feinberg’s Jonah, Micah, And Nahum, 1951, $2
    Been collecting the HB commentaries, one at a time from this used bookstore in Houlton ME. This was the third one I found there in as many years.

The library shelves are filling up...almost time for a purge.

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  3. PastoralMusings

PastoralMusings Active Member

This maybe the first year in 27 years that I have not received books.
    I don’t have space.
    I did receive cash, however, which I used on books.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So..... wha’d ya get?

Rob

5. PastoralMusings

PastoralMusings Active Member

The most important is a Cambridge Clarion Bible. I’ll use it very little for preaching, but I like the paragraph format.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant: The Complete Annotated Edition Hardcover – Belknap Press: An Imprint of Harvard University Press, 2017

As an acquaintance/mentor (retired LTC) told me, it's "one of about 5 books in history where the hype fails to express how good the book is. Mostly because 95% of the officers who recommend it never read it in the first place."

At his recommendation de Tocqueville will be next, and then maybe Jean Lartéguy's The Centurions, if I can find a copy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the other hand, I purchased this book for someone I thought would like it:
    • Fountainhead of Federalism: Heinrich Bullinger and the Covenantal Tradition, by Charles S. McCoy, J. Wayne Baker
    One thing I like about "Christmas books" is that I receive books that interest me, but book that I often would not buy for myself.

• Like Like x 1