1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christmas on Sunday this year

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Pastor_Bob, Oct 19, 2005.

1. BRANCH

BRANCH New Member

Church as usual
    SS 10:00
    AM 11:00
    PM 6:00
    Come or go eat, it's up to the individual.

2. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remembering the cross at Christmas?

What is merry about the cross?

Remembering the cross makes me cry--what Jesus suffered for me makes me sob--weep bitterly for having denied Him for so long.

"In vain ye do worship--teaching for doctrines the commandments of men."--Jesus to the religious leaders of His day.

Selah,

Bro. James

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

WARNING: This thread has been hijacked. Any further discussion along the lines of the theology of Christmas, etc., will be deleted. This is a worthy topic and a new thread should be started in the Theology section.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Candlelight Christmas eve Lord's Supper, SUN AM service, no PM so family can be together. I find it ironic that God created the family before He created the church, yet some exalt the church traditions in order to crush the family.

5. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry to have offended someone's super high holy day. I thought we were free to say what we think. I must be mistaken.

The unintended thread hijacker.

Bro. James

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Who said anything about remembering the cross at Christmas. There you go again, presuming, and putting words inother peoples mounts to accommodate your extrascriptural agenda. No one here, from what I can tell, is using Christmas to remember the cross. Looks to me like they're remembering Jesus' birth.

Well, good for you. Kindly refrain from imposing your feelings on others. It may make some people cry (because they think of the suffering) and some people rejoice (because it's empty), and some people reflect (because it reminds them of Christ's life). Scripture does not command feelings.

Too bad you haven't taken that advice yourself. Perhaps if you could refrain from doing so from here on out, and allow this thread to return to its OP topic, that might help.

7. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Re: top of this page,USN2PULPIT said: "just because the world celebrates his birth does'nt mean that the Christian shouldn't also remember his sacrifical death for us".

Have a Merry Sacrifice--or Happy Christ's Mass.

I must be the oxy-moron.

Selah,

Bro. James

8. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is one of the reasons that I am an Independent Baptist. I can do as I feel led of God to do in the church He has privileged me to pastor. I don't have to worry about the pastor across town who may not agree with my methods and label me a compromiser.

I really like the idea of a Christmas Eve candlelight service. I am going to give that some thought.

Thank you to those who offered positive thoughts and ideas.

9. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps I should have prefaced my comments with: we do not celebrate Christmas on any date, on any day, of any week, of any year. This is why...already posted. This is a hard saying. It will separate families and friends.

We also have a similar doctrine regarding the Feast of Ishtar, aka: Easter, and all other forms of pagan idolatry.

We be independent too, also tolerant. Anybody can believe anything they want--including nothing.

Shalom,

Bro. James

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

And I support your right to refrain. However, you cannot scripturally condemn those who do.

I've celebrated Easter for years. I've never worshipped pagan deities. Again, I support your right to refrain, but you have no scriptural authority to forbid me or anyone else from commemoration the Resurrection on that day.

11. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Forbid? "Anybody can believe anything they want--including nothing"--from my last post. That is tolerance, not dogma. We have never forced our faith and practice on anyone--never will. Everyone is free to worship anything they desire--including themselves or nothing at all--please throw all animal sacrifices in the correct dumpster please----not in my yard--thankyou.

Jesus never forced Himself on anyone.

He did tell us through the Apostle Paul to: preach the Word; be instant in season, out of season; and to reprove, rebuke and exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine."

Once we have heard the Truth, we have no excuses.

Selah,

Bro. James

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You condemn Christians celebrating Jesus' birth at Christmas, and his resurrection at Easter. You have no scriptural authority to do so.

13. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Condemnation? Where?

Reprove? Yes. Rebuke? Not enough. Exhort? Yes. Longsuffering? Still in there. Doctrine? Yes.

"Judgement must begin at the House of God."

"It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of 'The Living God" is not written to the lost.

Are we using the same paradigm?

You may have the last word--peace.

Selah,

Bro. James

14. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I'm growing weary... [​IMG]

15. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

When I lived in Connecticut, my church had a candlelight service on Christmas Eve. It was problaby the best service of the year. You just can't beat singing Silent Night with 400 people holding candles.

I wish we would do something like that at my current church. Maybe I'll suggest it.

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If you cannot see your own self-righteousness in this thread, I will be unable to point it out, despite it being self-evident.

17. TomVols

TomVols New Member

The warning was not heeded, thus I am closing it down. My apologies to you, Pastor Bob, for starting a meaningful thread that was unnecessarily hijacked.