1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christmas Play--Lack of commitment

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by nkypastor, Nov 28, 2006.

1. nkypastor

nkypastor New Member

Does anybody else have this problem?

My wife is directing our Children's Christmas play, only to find out 2 angels from 2 different church families (who both have speaking parts) are not going to be in the play! Our play is Sunday, December 10th, and time is running out. My wife will have to rewrite a scene. What is up with that. Why is it so hard for people to commit to the Lord? Please pray that the Lord will work this issue out, and pray for my wife, who is greatly discouraged. :BangHead:

2. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately, this happen far too often. I can't understand why people will commit to a part and then not do it and act like everything's OK. the problem in the OP is with the parents, not with the children, IMHO.

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must ask: who came up with the idea for the Christmas play?

This might help understand the lack of motivation.

4. nkypastor

nkypastor New Member

Stefan,

It's the parents who wanted it! That's what so frustrating. They complain we don't do enough for the kids, and when we try to involve their children, they don't have "time."

5. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    when did they know about the play? what is their reason for not being there? Was their absence in place before the date was announced?

I don't know about your situation at all. But sometimes, the issue isn't their committment to the Lord.

Will be praying for your wife.

6. nkypastor

nkypastor New Member

We started talking about it in September, and practices started in October.

They came and brought their children to the practices.

No. Absences were not planned ahead of time. One just decided not to let her granddaughter participate (she won't say why) and another mom said, "oh, we decided our boys couldn't handle it." They had only been to a couple of practices. Trust me, it's a great bunch of folks, but it's DEFINITELY a commitment issue. They are the ones that wanted it! :)

I just told my wife remember who she's doing the play for, God!

Thanks for the prayers!

7. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for answering those questions. You're right it is a committment issue.:BangHead:

8. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pull the kids from the program - those parents aren't committed to the Lord - that is one huge leap over logic in my mind.

That sort of logic is what led a pastor once to observe that a man wore cowboy boots and a sweater to church every meeting rather than shoes and a suit - thus he has spiritual problems and must be helped.

See that logical thought process?

The fact that one won't talk about it and the other has a lame excuse would lead me to wonder if there was something else going on, not leap to the conclusion that they have no commitment toward the Lord.

You could be totally right, but surely you have some other observable reason to say they aren't committed. IMHO anyway :smilewinkgrin:

None of the above is to detract from you and the wife being very frustrated, but we are working with HUMANS aren't we :laugh: and your observation is right on - the program IS for the LORD! :applause:

9. JoeKan

JoeKan Member

Last year we had a family not show up the day of the play. Their children had big parts in it. We survived and so will you.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When I first started teaching high school I had many people who wanted things built. When I started building them I noticed that there was little appreciation. An older teacher once told me that when someone would ask me to build something just ask them when they wanted it built to let me know and we could work on it together. I had very few needing something built after that.