1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christmas thoughts

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thinkingstuff, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yeah, historical fact that you are following a pagan tradition of celebrating Sol Invictus.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

"Highjack" hmmm....... quite the adjective. More doubt about your claim to be a Baptist.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Good point. Although he was primarily addressing Judaism, he wasn't exclusively addressing Judaism, and doesn't appear to be excluding Greek customs or pracitces that would be considered unusual or possibly even offensive to Jewish converts.

I'm not concerned about secular or pagan origins of Christmas any more than I'm concerned about the secular or pagan origins of Easter, or, for that matter, the names of the days of the week, the celebrating of the new year, the pagan origin of the handshake, the Muslim origin of our numerals, etc etc etc. If someone has concern, then let that person refrain, being convinced in his own mind. But let that person not judge another for his observance.
    Since the observance of festivals or holidays is not a Baptist Dictinctive, expressing concern over the observance of festivals and holidays does not disqualify one from being Baptist.

4. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    They'd be right and How do you feel about the BCE and CE thing? Thats how the followers of Sol Invictus probably felt about December 25th. You even have a pagan tree and a witchcraft wreath on the door to welcome the spring! And you have toping your pagan tree either Polaris or a New Age spiritual guide to usher in your pagan holiday. Both are used in pagan lore. And you tell your children about an Old Catholic Saint who is worshiped by papist. And you're ok with this?

5. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What else would you call it. It was the Roman Emperor who started the Roman Catholic Church that initiated celebration of this pagan Festival into the Christ Mass which bapist do not celebrate Mass. I suggest we celebrate Christ birth in September as it should be since he was born then. I'm following the bible you are following the papist.

#25 Thinkingstuff, Oct 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2009
  6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Go for it. Knock yourself out. I'll continue to celebrate Christ's birth in December and let's call it even. I, for one, won't be casting aspersions on you for doing so as long as you don't....

Oh, I see you're already casting aspersions for celebrating Christ's birth in December. I don't quite understand what you think you're gaining.

He was? You may be right, but how did you determine this?

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Good question. My faith isn't contingent upon the initials that follow a year, and more than it's contingent upon abandoning Roman numerals for Arabic ones. But if others get their tights in a wad over it, more power to them.
    My tree actually has Mickey Mouse on the top.
    Easy now, he's spoken of in the Bible, you know:

"Ho, ho, come forth, and flee from the land of the north" - Zechariah 2:6

#27 Johnv, Oct 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2009
  8. rbell

rbell Active Member

Look, if you can't follow how the Greek alphabet operates, this conversation probably won't go too far.

Enjoy your little crusade.

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I am not celebrating a pagan holiday because I worship the true God. I am not worshipping pagan gods.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure why that needed explaining but apparently some folks are to thick headed. Add to that the entire notion is based on a date. :rolleyes:

11. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

How do you know that? Please lay it out for me and for the rest of us.

Thanks.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you have a mouse in your pocket?

13. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

I like Bono's reference to Christ and Christmas in U2's "MOFO" song off their POP album...lookin' for baby Jesus under the trash.

In XC
    -

14. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

I am confused--I've read this thread, and perhaps I've missed it, but where does it say in the Bible that Christ was born in September? (Chapter and Verse)

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

It doesn't. I've heard May suggested before as well. I've heard some say since the shepherds were with their sheep, it had to be spring, but then I heard that wasn't true - it could have been other times of the year as well.

I think it's good we don't know. I think any day we want to celebrate Christ's birth is good, even if it was formerly a pagan holiday and then proclaimed Christ's birthday by a pope. This does not make the day of Dec. 25 evil. As long as we are worshiping Christ, it doesn't matter.

16. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

The pope never said it WAS the day that Christ was born. It was simply decided that it was the day Christ birth would be celebrated. Again, more misconceptions about Catholicism.

Also, I have read that the early Christians celebrated Christ resurrection on the same day that the pagans were worshiping their sun god because it was easier not to be discovered if the pagans were pre-occupied.

17. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

That's true. I should have clarified my statement.

18. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The fact is I don't really know when Jesus was born but I can guess-ti-mate and it wasn't December 25th or the festival of Sol Invictus. We find this out from the gospel of Luke
    The Division of Abijah referrences 1 Chronical 24: 7-18 7
    Now assuming that the preisthood wanted to maintain their practices in accordance with the Torah as Ezra seems to be emphatic about it. They would try to maintain these times. The 8th course would have been in Nissan. Now in Exodus it says
    or March 15th so add 8 forenights with this date and we come to The temple service during the division of Abijah or July When we assume that Zechariah went home and Elizabeth became pregnant.
    So its likely that Mary conceived in Elizabeth's sixth month of pregnancy or December (maybe January).
    Then Add 9 months to that and you get September (or October). Any way that's how I figure it But note again its not December 25 which was the festival of Sol Invictus.

19. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I blame it on Theodocius the 1st. Though the Christ Mass is celebrated on December 25th in accordance with the Holiday reserved for Sol Invictus by the Roman Empire.

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The pope should wear a lit star on top of his beenie cap during the Christmas season.