1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christmas thoughts

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thinkingstuff, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I think we should likewise get rid of Arabic numerals.

2. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There is a serious issue here. As far as I can tell there are a lot of stong opinions with regard to certain Christian beliefs and practices often they are belied as being 1) unscriptural 2) related to paganism 3) and ultimately, a rejection of the truth. But here is the interesting point. This view is like a smorgashbord. For one it will be worship on the jewish Sabbath. For another its decorating Christmas trees. For another it is the use of musical instruments during worship. But there isn't consistency because of accepted "practices" or "beliefs" of each of these people can be attributed to the same things that these people accuse others of doing. One may say we must worship on Saturday. Yet has a christmas tree. One doesn't have a Christmas tree but still celebrates on December 25th. And on and on it goes. Its as though every one has their little pet ordinance against pagan influence yet each one has a pet pagan tradition they like to adhere to that they emphatically defend to the point of questioning other people's salvation for not agreeing with them. Just like people who argue against their accepted practice as being anti-christ. Its hypocritical yet no one sees it. Its like they can't see the speck in their brother's eye for the log within their own but are just as likely to belittle their brother. As we come to the holidays and I see this type of arguing go on (not here but elsewhere) I decided to take the consitent view that all pagan practices are unscriptural to include the ones we hardly think of and in fact I was reminded by a few here of them. And true to form Pet practices are defended tooth and nail yet others are condemned for their pet practices. I condemn them all and was insult by the Rev. who guessed at my playing the devils advocate. Yet I was consistent. And I always uped the anty as I saw fit. How then as christians are we to view each other and practices that some take for granted and others do not? So as much as we claim to be consistent I find that we are not no matter how much we bellow that we are. BTW Arabic numberals were long before islam. Though the numeral 0 was invented by the indian in their polythesitic system. Actually the numberal 0 is actually worshiped by the hindus.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No, not quite. Here is what the debate is akin to.
    Would Paul change the date of the Passover and put it on the same date as a pagan festival when the meat is sacrificed to idols? The answer would be an absolute NO!

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

That is an unjust accusation that no one is doing, except possibly for the COC when they come on and argue for the necessity of baptism in order for salvation. We do not consider them an evangelical faith, but a cult. The rest of us are not questioning anyone's salvation.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Maybe you should reread all my posts and rephrase that. Never mind, I worship on Sunday and would do nothing different. Disregard post.

#85 saturneptune, Nov 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2009
  6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Not generous of me, generous of God. Despite the entire Catholic infrastructure dripping with evil, yes, God still saves.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    uh-huh well I have not seen any arguments here based on pagan founding. Why bring arguments form somewhere else here? And where was the insult?

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The reason I would not wear an ankh or Pisces symbol is because of what those represent in today's culture to those who do use these symbols. I realize the symbol itself is not evil. But it does represent something - it sends a message.

Just as the Italian ambassador does not put the French flag on his car, so I as a Christian would not wear a symbol of astrology. Anyone into astrology would assume I was a believer in it, too (as I once was).

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

A cross is not a pagan symbol today. An ankh, yin-yang symbol, pentagram, and others are.

You know, thinkingstuff, you used to not sound like this. Are you the same person as before?

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christmas? A poor excuse for picking a man's pocket every twenty-fifth of December!

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This is exactly what Mormons have told me when I asked them why they don't have crosses on their "churches."

I will continue to wear a cross (I do not wear one everyday). It is recognized as a symbol of Christianity, even if it was Catholicism originally.

Yes, the cross was a means of death, and by that death, Jesus Christ paid the penalty for sins. It is a wonderful symbol to me of the price Jesus paid and the atonement.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

A pentagram is simply a geometrical figure used in geometry most days. Both the cross and the pentagram can be classified as common geometric symbols. But the fact is both are symbolic. Both date back before Christianity.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

He is playing devils advocate and wasting your time.

14. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

Not a waste of time at all. You just don't like the fact that you are all guilty of picking a choosing what 'pagan' observances to include in your lives.

Y'all are real quick to accuse Catholics of idolatry and observing pagan customs but when it is pointed out that you might be guilty of this . . . well its all different isn't it!

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Wooownelly! I am not guilty of anything. I have never gotten into any debate over the pagan founding of anything.Quite frankly I don't care. Much ado about nothing and that be whether you are Christian or Catholic.

16. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

Actually, I'm both a Christian and a Catholic.

#96 lori4dogs, Nov 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2009
  17. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

Not unjust at all! The 'Revmitchell' just made the comment: Much ado about nothing and that be whether you are Christian or Catholic. I think we can all agree that a person must be a Christian to be saved. Right? Yet, this good man apparently excludes us Catholics.

18. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

How would it strike you if I were to say, 'it wouldn't matter to me if you were a Christian or a Baptist?

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If you are a Catholic, why does your profile say that you are an Anglican?

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Great quote, Hez 2:14