1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christmas thoughts

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thinkingstuff, Oct 29, 2009.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Your testimony is hard to believe. Your profile says that you joined in January of 2008. Here is what your testimony says:
    If you note, I joined the BB in July of 2000. The Catholics came shortly after that. It has been years since Carson Webber has been on this board. It is my guess that you joined as a Catholic and said that you were an Anglican knowing full well that you would never get in if you tried to join as a Catholic. You would have been rejected. Thus your entire application was based on deceit. How am I doing this far?
    If that is true, you shouldn't be here in the first place, since the board doesn't accept Catholic applications. Sneaking in by deceit would warrant a shameful ban immediately.
    Yes there are many that are Calvinist, and if you go and read the theology forum which is replete with threads dealing with Calvinism you will find that there are as many non-Calvinists as there are Calvinists. Otherwise there would be no debates on the subject would there?
    Why was the subject of Calvinism brought into this thread any way?
    Calvin got his ideas from Augustine. Many of points of Calvinism Catholics believe. Calvin was a former Catholic. He didn't give it all up. He is called a Reformer for a reason.

Baptists teach salvation by grace through faith alone.
    Catholics teach that salvation is by works through the Catholic Church.

Those two belief systems cannot be reconciled. You can't believe both at the same time. You must choose one or the other. There is no sitting on the fence. Which side of the fence are you on? If you believe in the latter then you are believing that the RCC will get you to heaven and not Christ. That is a pitiful situation to be in.

2. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

I joined this board as an Anglican, I'm leaving it as a Catholic. I don't appreciate being called a liar.

I followed this board for years without joining. I know why you have banned Catholics, they were getting the best of you!

I figured no apology for the nast would be forthcoming.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I apologize if I was wrong in my assessment for I admit it was partly guess-work. It just seems awful quick for a former Baptist to go from Anglican to Catholic in less than two years. I am not calling you a liar. I was only making an observation.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Let me add, for those of you who are familiar with Carson Webber.
    He was a seminarian taught directly under Scott Hahn, the foremost Catholic apologist. These two have set up websites teaching Catholics on "how to answer a fundamentalist Baptist." They are what one might call professional Catholic apologists.

Like I said in a previous post, I am a missionary.
    Lori's accusation:
    is a little over the board.
    If the Catholics adhered to the Bible only it is doubtful they could have won any debate, but they hated and do hate the doctrine of sola scriptura.
    There are many on this board that can debate these issues far better than I can. I don't claim to be an apologist.

They were banned for using this board as a sounding board for their advertising and recruiting others to their faith. Propagating another's religion is not permitted, and any other person that does the same is banned. Thus Oneness Pentecostals have been banned. And so have others that have come on here with an agenda to spread false doctrine and recruit others to it.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

6. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

7. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

8. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Yes, I know what you mean. Except for one instance two years ago, Calvinism has never been debated or discussed in my church. Two years ago we were beginning a pastor search and I asked the committee to seek the consensus of the congregation concerning a Calvinist pastor. I did this because of the increasing number of Calvinist minded Baptist pastors. The committee sought the consensus of the congregation on this and many other issues. The vote was unanimous against hiring a Calvinist pastor. Calvinism had never before been an issue in my church and it hasn't been discussed since.

Until the ascendency of Calvinism at SBTS, I didn't know it was something Baptists embraced. I had always associated it with Presbyterians.

9. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Most baptist I know hold to Calvinism though its not a baptist distinctive. In my church we have both. And they don't argue with each other! Go figure. We also have the standard Pretrib rapture people with amillenialist. And they don't argue either. However, I must say I don't know any KJO people at my Church. And most members use the NIV. The older folks still use KJV. I think the calvinist people in my Church use to really like Coral Ridge ministries before the pastor died. And I'm pretty sure that was a Presbyterian Church.

10. RAdam

RAdam New Member

That's because most Baptists left Calvinism, although the past is clearly Calvinistic.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

That is quite true. William Carey in the face of what we would call "hyper-calvinism," went to India in spite of the opposition of his church. He was the founder of the modern missionary movement as we know it. He was told that if God wanted the people of India saved that He would do it in His time and in His way, and He didn't need Carey's help to do it. That is the opposition that Carey faced when God called him to India. It was a very Calvinistic environment, and yet a Baptist church.

12. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

True. Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church is located in Ft. Lauderdale, FL -- see www.crpc.org. Its founding pastor was Dr. D. James Kennedy, who recently went to be the Lord. Its current pastor is Tullian Tchividjian, the grandson of Billy & Ruth Graham.

13. Born_in_Crewe

Born_in_Crewe Member

As you can see from my user info I live in the UK. You get a lot of secularists saying ''Jesus is not reason for the season'' as it was originally a Pagan celebration. They miss the point here because not only are they not Christians, they certainly aren't Pagan in the true sense either. But then that is the sort of hypocrisy that you come to expect here.

14. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yeah.

I saw one that said "Christmas has Pagan DNA."