1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christology

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by ByGracethroughFaith, Sep 18, 2007.

1. ByGracethroughFaith

ByGracethroughFaith New Member

This is the most common response by the natural man when they hear that God the Son raised Christ from the dead. I briefly explained to you what happens at death earlier, but you denied it. Others have explained the same thing in different threads, and yet you denied it there as well. Here is a larger explanation of this for you.

God is a Spirit. Jesus Christ is the merging of God who is Spirit with man who is flesh. Upon death of a man, the spirit and soul depart from the flesh, yet they do not cease to exist, they are merely separated, some are in hell at the moment others are in heaven (so-called for simplicity sake). Death refers to separation; the body of Jesus on the cross was separated from the spirit and soul of the man Christ Jesus. Also, on the Cross, God the Son experienced separation from God the Father, and yet remained fully one God. Christ’s body having been separated from His spirit and soul, along with the divinity of Christ being separated from God the Father, yet He remained fully one with the one indivisible God. With resurrection power, God the Son along with God the Father, and God the Holy Spirit, all partook in the resurrection of Christ. This is known as the mystery of the cross, and is also known as the foolishness of the cross which human reasoning fails to fully comprehend.

That is the most concise way I can explain it.

I am a pushover compared to the one in whom you deny resurrection power. Will you stand before the One who has firmly stated, “I will raise it up”, and call Him a liar to His face?

Those are fine words, and I have heard them often, but the fruit you display is very much opposite to your proclamation. That is what happens when one believes in a different Jesus than the one revealed in scripture; their profession comes without resurrection power.

Titus 1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

BGTF

2. ByGracethroughFaith

Perhaps you will believe it if John Owen says it.

BTW: It is one God, three persons, NOT personalities.

BGTF

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I have great respect for John Owen, but he is not my standard, Scripture is. When he agrees with Scripture, then I espouse his writings, when he doesn't, then I part with him.

2. I believe Owen's use of 1 Peter 3:18 is incorrect, pneuma is not speaking of the Holy Spirit, but of the spirit. Consult several versions and commentaries on this.

3. I believe the Holy was involved in the resurrection of Jesus. If I didn't, Rom 1:4 and 8:11 would make no sense to me. But I don't believe we have to prove that from a problematic verse as 1 Peter 3:18.

4. Are we speaking of persons like ourselves? If NO, then it's a riddle of semantics and there's no harm in personalities.

4. ByGracethroughFaith

You are free to do that.

Torrey's Topical Textbook also has it listed as a proof-text of the doctrine part way down the link.
    http://www.bible-topics.com/Resurrection-of-Christ-The.html

At least you agree that the Holy Spirit was involved in the resurrection of Christ.

A personality is merely an attribute of a person, and does not encompass the whole person, the word personality has been tossed around in modalism. It is just like saying a square is always a rectangle, but a rectangle is not always a square, same idea.

BGTF

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. The Bible says so in Romans 1:4 and 8:11.

2. Then person it is.

6. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No problem.
    I already mentioned, both can be correct. God the Father raised Him, or Trinity raised Him. However, usually the Bible states simply "God raised His Son" Then you said I am heretic going to the Hell because I don't know the Trinity and Godheads. That is wrong.

The most important aspect of the Cross is the Absolute Obedience to God the Father by His Son. Jesus obeyed His Father unto death, even the death at the Cross. He could come down from the Cross any time. But He didn't. Even at the time of Resurrection, He could have raised Himself. However, He committed Himself to His Father. I am sure that Jesus waited for the Raise by His Father in His absolute obedience, because such absolute obedience is the part of the divine nature as well. Therefore God the Father justly raised His Son, which is the common statement in ac 3:13-26 and many other verses of Bible, which you are eager to deny now, to insist that the raise by the Trinity is the only answer.

How many times should I explain to you about this? Read my previous posts and the explanation about this.

I don't need your approval. The acceptance and approval by God is more than enough for me. I am glad that you will not sit on the Seat of the Great Judge on the Day of Great Judgment. Take care of yourself. Sir.

7. ByGracethroughFaith

This isn’t an either/or case, God the Father is PART of the Trinity so yes He raised Christ, but God the Son and God the Holy are ALSO part of the Trinity. You use the same logic as the JW’s who only see verses depicting Christ as a man and deny those that depict Him as God.

If one denies the Trinity in word or practice, they are going to hell. Now you are free to go where you want, but I won’t stand idly by while you publicly trample the work of the second person of the Trinity, when you deny operation of God the Son in the resurrection of Christ.

The only acceptable answer with regards to the resurrection of Christ that does not deny the divinity of Christ and the person of the Holy Spirit is this:
    God the Father raised Christ, God the Son raised Christ, and God the Holy Spirit raised Christ. It is the operation all three persons of the one indivisible God. Likewise the three persons of the one indivisible God work in harmony in the salvation of men.

The Trinity is the ONLY acceptable answer!

Your previous explanation is heresy.

BGTF

8. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have proven this man is a Heretic !

Galatians 1:1
    Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead

9. ByGracethroughFaith

Paul also recorded that the Holy Spirit raised Christ, and since Christ Himself testified He would raise His own body, there is no reason to look for further testimony

Rom 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

John 2:19-21 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. 20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days? 21 But he spake of the temple of his body.

It is Eliyahu who is holding to heresy.

Since it has been determined that you can't see the above doctrine, can you see this one?

In Gen 17:1 Abraham saw God the Son.

BGTF

#29 ByGracethroughFaith, Sep 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2007
  10. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Your tactic seems to be to use the term "heresy" or "heretic" just as the RCC did during the dark ages whenever one of your ideas is challenged.

Constantly slinging pejorative terms "proves nothing" except that it reminds the reader to check and see if your argument is going weak.

Actually he made a good point against your stance which you keep ducking. Scripture does NOT say that Christ turned to the thief on the cross and then lectured him on the trinity before dying.

I for one fully agree with the Trinitrian view and I also agree that all three members of the Godhead were involved in the work, ministry and even resurrection of Christ.

But you are going to some pretty wild extremes.

In John 16 Christ said to His OWN "I have many MORE things to tell you but you can not bear them" and then predicted the work of the Holy Spirit as He continued to reveal more truth to them. But wait a minute!! you say the Holy Spirit must do a full and complete core-dump of all data on the infinite truths regarding the Trinity at the moment of salvation OR the person can not be saved at all. That is extreme.

in Christ,

Bob

#30 BobRyan, Sep 23, 2007
  11. ByGracethroughFaith

The operation of the Trinity in the resurrection of Christ is not MY idea, it was God's.

That sounds just like what you just did above. If you believe you are wiser than me in this regard, would you not show me a better example?

The thief, whatever he knew, certainly didn't set himself up as a teacher going around telling people to deny operation of the Son of God in the resurrection.
    When someone doesn't know some truth about Christ but wants to learn it, they are treated differently than someone who rejects a truth about Christ and openly teaches to deny it.

If you really do agree, I find it interesting that you choose to condemn the method of preaching instead of trying to convince Eliyahu to turn from his error. This isn't some doctrine of lesser importance like clothing, it is MAJOR. It is ultimately a denial of the work of Christ! But instead of trying to help a person in that condition, you choose to post against the method of preaching. Very interesting indeed!

I haven't even begun to get wild yet.

Being ignorant of a certain truth is one thing, to rebel against a truth when it is revealed is another. When this doctrine was brought up, some may not have known it, but the Holy Spirit would have testified to the truth of the matter, and they would have received it.

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me :

BGTF

12. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I already mentioned your ignorance of Greek language caused the misunderstanding of Ro 8:11

Let me re-translate for you

But if the Spirit of the Raiser ( God the Father) who raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, He ( God the Father) who raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by His Spirit that dwells in you.

John 2:19 is the only resort for you, as you don't understand this truth:

Phil 2

5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. 9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name

In your theology, God the Father Himself also took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men, and God the Father was crucified at the Cross.

If you don't believe that, you are denying the Trinity, and you are heretic according to your own theology, right?

God sent His Son Jesus to this world to save you.

In your theology, it is a heresy because it should be this:

God the Son sent Jesus to this world to save you. If you deny it, you are denying Trinity, and therefore you become a Heretic, right?

13. soninme

soninme New Member

god the father sent jesus to earth to redeem us by his blood and the works of the cross , jesus did the will of his father when he was here , read thebook of john anf you will see this :jesus:

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Is this really his theology on the Trinity?

15. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, that's what we are arguing about from the beginning. Read thru the Posts.
    He asked me " who raised Jesus from the dead?" I answered "God raised Jesus from the dead." Then he said I am wrong and should go to the Hell because I don't have the right spirit, saying that Romans 8:11 tells us that the Spirit raised Him from the dead, and Trinity worked there.
    Then I said, Both can be right, God raised Jesus from the dead, and God in Trinity may have worked together.
    He condemns anyone who confess that God raised His Son from the dead, claiming that one should have the notion that God in Trinity has raised Jesus.

Trinity raised Jesus, this is the only legitimate answer according to his theology. Because Jesus said, he would raise the temple in three days ( Jn 2:19) If anyone doesn't know this crucial truth, he or she is condemned to go to the Hell and they are Heretic. That's his Litmus Paper for the discernment of Salvation.

That is his theology.

Read thru all the arguments above, they are very much interesting.

16. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BGTF,

Did Jesus say that He would raise the temple in three days while He was alive or did He say that while He was dead?

I ask this question because your stronghold to claiming that God the Son raised Jesus from the dead is John 2:19, and I already told you that if anyone could raise the dead, then that person was no longer dead but was already alive.

Do you claim that Jesus died only a half death, only the humanity died and the divinity was still alive?

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I've read the posts. This label is uncalled for; I do not see you denying the deity of Christ.

2. In fact, outside of John's narrative, every reference to the resurrection of Christ points to the Father doing the raising, with the instrumentality of the Spirit in one instance (Rom 1:4).

3. Earlier I used Romans 8:11 to show that the Holy Spirit raised Jesus from the dead, but my use was incorrect, after looking at it again. It is the Father who does the raising in this verse.

4. The Greek on Romans 1:4 is not too clear either, but the versions seem to involve the Spirit in Christ's resurrection.

#37 TCGreek, Sep 23, 2007
  18. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And more than that - it is hard to argue that all Christians must have the same view of it as BGTF or else be doomed to the flames of hell.

So while I happen to agree that all three were involved with this event just as all three were invovled in the Gen 1-2:3 creation event "Let US make man in OUR own imagine" and yet John 1 points to Christ as the Creator of all on this earth -- still I have a hard to seeing this as a formula for dooming other Christians.

in Christ,

Bob

19. ByGracethroughFaith

Decide for yourself.

This is the company of others who denied Christ's power over His own resurrection.

Matt 26:60-62 But found none: yea, though many false witnesses came, yet found they none. At the last came two false witnesses, 61 And said, This fellow said, I am able to destroy the temple of God, and to build it in three days.
    KJV

They couldn't believe he would partake in it either.

Here is what Matthew Henry has to say on John 2:19

BGTF

20. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I believe that the Father, the Son and the Spirit all part of the resurrection of Jesus. Does that put your soul at rest?