1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christ's Ministry

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 2 Timothy2:1-4, Aug 23, 2007.

1. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Luke 5:32

I came not to call the righteous but sinners to repentence.

What does this say about Christ's ministry?

2. Allan

Allan Active Member

I guess it would depend on who's theological translation you were using:

ME:
    I came not to call the righteous [for they are already mine] but the sinners [to give a just a mental accent of salvation at some point in time in their lives and be saved regarless of they beleive it or continue to. And after that accent if you work hard enough you may come] to repentence [and work even harder so hopefully you miss the thousand years in hell but you won't know till you get there]

Calvinist:
    I came not to call the righteous but the [elect] sinners to repentence.

Arminian:
    I came not to call the righteous but the sinners to repentence [and if they don't forfiet their salvation they may keep it]

Biblicist:
    I came not to call the righteous but the sinners to repentence.

--- I know, I know ---- :tonofbricks:

3. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

:tonofbricks:

Wanted throw my bricks on top too....

I be a biblicist, and as such, am a Calvinist. :type:

4. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Well just another person that doesn't have a clue as to what we are really talking about or just another person that intentionally misrepresents what we believe. Not sure which is the case here. What say you Allan?

5. Allan

Allan Active Member

He who is without sin cast the first ...:tonofbricks:
    Ouch!
    Hey, wha'ch it...

Reformedbaptist:
    Sorry, it slipped. :laugh:

Actually, the point was that those who claim to be biblicist regard every type of theology from the Cal to the Non-Cal.
    But the biblicist doesn't add anything to what it states, but takes it as it is stated in context it was so stated.

It was to show that every puts something in there to help accentuate their stance in the redering of a passage.
    Point in case, I am a biblicist just as you are but I am no Calvinist.

#5 Allan, Aug 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2007
  6. Allan

Allan Active Member

As far as I have read this is pretty close to your view. Christ did not come to call the pharasee to repentence because they were already righteous and saved - remember you stating they are not spiritually dead (unsaved) but blinded. Also as I have read the ME group holds that all a person must do to recieve spiritual salvation is mental accent and if they no longer believe or even fall away it has no bearing on their eternal spiritual security. And you also believe that if you do enough works to build up a righteousness for yourself you will not spend 1000 years in hell. But the fact is, you don't know how much is enough nor how much is still not enough.

That pretty much sums it up as I have read yours and others posting regarding KE or KG, or as I have heard it so often, ME.

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

Sorry, I derailed it.

Back to the OP:

Christs ministry was to 'call' sinners (not a specific group of sinners) to repentence. Which is why scirpture states "he is the light that lighteth every man that cometh into the world" and that God so loved the world He gave His only begotten Son" and so on and so forth.

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It says that if you are a sinner, Christ's call is for you.

There is none righteous, no not one. Although, many think they are righteous.

9. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

It's not even remotely close and I love how you folks are smart enough to tell other people what they believe and what they don't believe.

We have said the pharisees were saved, but no one has said that the pharisees were outside of the call to repentance. It was a "national" call to repentance, so that includes "EVERYONE."

Absolutely correct. They already possessed life that will last for the endless ages (everylasting life).

I would slightly disagree with you here. It's not a simple mental assent that a person believes in the "facts" that a person named Jesus lived and was crucified. But the fact that Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God, died and shed His blood on their behalf a sinner. If they believe that they are saved. That's plainly what Scripture teaches.

There is no need for a continual faith as everlasting life is immediately received. Most people do continual to believe that the rest of their lives, but if someone stops believing that it does not impact their security, because their security is not in themselves, but in the finished works of Christ. We can add nothing to that including a continual faith (which would really be faith in ourselves to continue).

This is not entirely accurate either. Finding entrance into the kingdom (which is more important than what happens if you don't make it) is a faith that works as per James. This faith that works is a faith that is obedient, faithful and overcoming, so it has more to do with just "doing" the right things, but it has to do with doing what we are supposed to be doing, avoiding what we are supposed to be avoiding, having the right attitude, thoughts etc. There's so much more to it than what you have described.

That's because it's not based on a "number." It's based on a lifetime of faithfulness, overcoming and obedience. If you do and are those things you will receive entrance into the kingdom. If you don't do them or are not those things then you will not receive entrance into the kingdom.

The final decision will come at the JSOC.

10. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

What is a sinner?

11. ReformedBaptist

yeah, I just wanted to give you a hard time.

12. ReformedBaptist

ohhhh, ohhhhhhhhh...now your trying to start a C/A debate. :1_grouphug:

Time to huddle the Cal-vary.

13. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

What is a sinner?

14. Allan

Allan Active Member

LOL. That was good :laugh: