1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Chuck Kelley shows backbone

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Jimmy C, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

For those of you that would not beleive the Associated Baptist Press article, Baptist Press (who was scooped by a mere three weeks) has now published the vote of the NOBTS trustees which goes against the will of the executive committee of the SBC. NOBTS has refused to name the SBC as the "sole member". Morris Chapman is not pleased.

Question: how long will it be before the SBC creates a new postion for Chuck Kelley so that it can bring in a president who will conform to what Chapman is thinks is best.

Quote:
    NEW ORLEANS (BP)--Trustees of New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary voted unanimously Oct. 7-8 not to change its articles of incorporation to name the Southern Baptist Convention as its "sole member," making the seminary the lone SBC entity not to do so.

In recent months New Orleans Seminary President Chuck Kelley has repeatedly voiced his support for the SBC and the conservative resurgence it has undergone theologically, but he has asserted that sole membership goes against what he says is traditional Baptist polity. He has published his position in a 15-page paper posted on a seminary website.

See the full artilce at http://www.sbcbaptistpress.org

2. RandR

RandR New Member

Not trying to split hairs, but one difference is that Kelly's board has voted unanimously toward his line of thinking on this. Many on Southwestern's board likely supported the idea of his moving to the new position even before he did.

3. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

This just proves the moderates wrong. All of us Southern Baptist Conservatives don't march in lockstep.

OR maybe it proves the Moderates right. Give us enough time we conservatives will fight among ourselves. :eek:

4. KPBAP

KPBAP Member

I am not a betting person, but you can bet that there will soon be public "fighting" among the conservatives.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I know one who is trustee at one of the SBC seminaries and I have personally seen a watering down of his theology. We don't need those kind of theologians but men of integrity with strong convictions based on scripture not political footballs and easy believism.

6. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Got my copy of the SBTC "newspaper" in the mail yesterday, it was quite funny to see them try to cover this situation. Their website is http://www.sbtexas.com, the artilces are there.

They could not come out and blast Kelley as they would a "moderate", so they tried to marginalize his arguments. One little fact they had a hard time sweeping under the rug was that when the trustees at midwestern were fighting to keep midwestern a seminary, representatives from the executive board showed up - unannounced, and basically told those trustees to either do what they executive board wanted then to do or they would be replaced. Now this was not in the bad old days prior to the conservative takeover/resurgence, but last year, with the conservatives hand picked trustees.

7. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

gb,

I dont understand your post. Are not all the trustees picked since the conservative takeover/resurgence fundamental conservatives?

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes they are picked. But they can be picked with other ideas in mind. All of them would be classified as conservatives but some "go with the flow". Some are able to be good politicians rather than excellent theologians. I am not convinced that some of those "conservatives" are not so conservative in all their theology. I have heard some rather obvious nonsense to the person who studies the Bible.

9. RandR

RandR New Member

Out of my own presuppositions, I also erroneously assumed that they would try to "sweept it under the rug" as you say.

But then I actually read the articles. It occurred to me that they did anything but marginalize Kelly's position. In fact, they quoted his brother-in-law (the guy some of you claim "runs" the convention and would be very displeased with his wife's brother over this) as second guessing his own decision to make the same change at Southeastern so quickly.

The articles spoke to the Napoleonic laws of Louisiana and how they impact Kelly's poisition. That was an element to the story I had yet to read or hear before these articles.

If anything I found the articles unusually objective to have come from either of Texas state papers.