1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Anniversary

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by JoeKan, Jul 15, 2018.

1. JoeKan

JoeKan Member

Our church is to celebrate its 50th year anniversary since it was planted here in our small town. I've located the first pastor and he is going to be here and I've asked him to bring the message and he said he would. The first song leader is still in our church and I've asked him to lead singing too.
    But my question is and was hoping for suggestions is what, if any, special activities should we have during the Anniversary service? I feel we should acknowledge and honor the first pastor and his wife. We're Baptist, so of course we're going to a fellowship dinner that's catered in.
    Is there anything else you can think of we can ad to the service to make it more memorable?? Also, I think it would be fitting to have it on the Lord's Day instead of a Saturday night. Agree?
    Thanks for any help, it will be most appreciated.
    Joe

2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptists don't cater food in. We cook and bring covered dishes. Tasting everyone else's stuff is what makes the eating fun.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The anniversaries I've been part of have been "all-day" -- that is, morning services, dinner (noon meal down here), then services after the meal. This gave an opportunity for some, if nearby, who might want to attend their own church in the morning and then visit the anniversary after dinner time. Recognition of charter members is nice, if any are still living. A booklet commemorating the occasion is also nice -- history of church, list of officers who've served (pastors, deacons, church clerks, etc.), some pictures. Can be brief or go into more detailed history of the church if you have someone willing and capable of doing it.

The ones that I have been a part of were held on the Sunday closest the organization, rather than the "day of".

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bury two time capsules - one to be open on the centennial and the other for the 150th.

Be sure to notify the media - great free advertising.

When my Home church had its 50th:

Friday night - informal gathering
    Sat evening- dinner - with a former pastor preaching
    Sun Morning - regular service - but emphasis on the anniversary.

Of course - recognize the members who may have been charter members.
    as well as long time members.
    Recognize those who have went into full time Christian service.

and if you havent done so yet - this would be a great time to put up
    pictures of all former pastors - with dates of service.

I have visited First Baptist, Princeton, WV. The church was organized in 1840 - and they have a picture of most of the pastors for the past 175+ years hanging up in the hallway.

5. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Make sure that you celebrate not only the past, but what is going on currently. You want people who come back for this special Sunday to know that the church is not just living in the past tense but is currently serving God just like the original pastor and members wanted when they started the church.

I like the catered dinner. That way no one has to clean up and all can enjoy the day!