1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church bans autistic boy

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by dragonfly, May 19, 2008.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

I read the srticle earlier, apparently he's violent, which there not much, I think anyway, the parents can do about the violence.
    Is there?
    I haven't made up my mind on this story yet. Waiting to read other opinions.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

He spits and urinates, hit a child, almost knocked others over, is disruptive and they feel he has a right to be at church? Sorry - I agree with the church.

3. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

This is a tough call. I agree with the church and with the family. Perhaps they can find a church setting where this boy will not be so disruptive. If not I would think they would have to watch church on television or listen on the radio. I don't think there is an overall good answer.

4. Joe

Joe New Member

I agree with Ann.

I wonder why a restraining order was needed, strange....

5. Joe

Joe New Member

double post

6. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

It was needed because the family continued to bring the boy to church in spite of being asked not to do so.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The best thing the church could have done is to provide a way for the family to be able to make it to church but not having to have the boy in the service. Providing a Sunday School class for him with a large man (because I'd not want to be alone with a big boy like that). There should be a compassionate way to deal with it but the parents aren't helping either - just saying that the son WILL be there and to heck with everyone else. Sad.

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I have to agree with the parents at this point. I think I would be finding another church, though.

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are a couple of ways to handle this. One way is to have a cry room. Churches have tended to get away from these But I believe they are worth their weight in gold. Another way is to create a ministry within the church for autistic children. This could be a new outreach possibility. How many parents of autistic children stay home because of their children? Not something I have thought about before.

What is clear is the general worship service is not for this child.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

After thought this evening and reading responses, I agree with the rest of you.