1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Church budget dwindling

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by SmalltownPastor, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Havensdad accused me of twisting Scriptures. Funny, I quoted the KJV word for word. Nothing whatsoever said about wages in the Philippians passage.

Let's look at a few more translations:

Wycliffe:
    Philippians 4:15-18 For and ye, Filipensis, witen, that in the bigynnyng of the gospel, whanne Y wente forth fro Macedonye, no chirche comynede with me in resoun of thing youun and takun, but ye aloone. Whiche senten to Tessalonyk onys and twies also in to vss to me. Not for Y seke yifte, but Y requyre fruyt aboundinge in youre resoun. For Y haue alle thingis, and abounde; Y am fillid with tho thingis takun of Epafrodite, whiche ye senten in to the odour of swetnesse, a couenable sacrifice, plesynge to God.

Tyndale:
    Philippians 4:15-18 Ye of Philippos knowe that in the begynnynge of the gospell when I departed from Macedonia no congregacion bare parte with me as concernynge gevynge and receavynge but ye only. For when I was in Tessalonica ye sent once and afterwarde agayne vnto my nedes: not that I desyre gyftes: but I desyre aboudant frute on youre parte. I receaved all and have plentie. I was even filled after that I had receaved of Epaphroditus that which came from you an odour that smelleth swete a sacrifice accepted and plesaunt to God.

Bishops:
    Philippians 4:15-18 Ye Philippians knowe also, that in the begynnyng of the Gospell, when I departed fro Macedonia, no Church communicated to me, as concernyng geuyng and receauyng, but ye only. For euen in Thessalonica, ye sent once, & afterward agayne vnto my necessitie. Not that I desire a gyft, but I desire fruite aboundyng to your accompt. But I haue receaued al, & haue plentie. I was euen fylled after that I had receaued of Epaphroditus the thynges which were sent from you, an odoure of a sweete smel, a sacrifice acceptable, plesaunt to God.

Coverdale:

(Phil 4:15-18)
    But ye of Philippos knowe, that in the begynngnge of the Gospell whan I departed fro Macedonia, no congregacion bare parte with me concernynge geuynge and receauynge, but ye onely. For vnto Tessalonica ye sent once and afterwarde agayne vnto my necessite. Not that I seke giftes, but I seke the frute, that it be abudaunt in yor rekenynge. For I haue all, and haue plentye. I was euen fylled wha I receaued of Epaphroditus, that which came from you, an odoure of swetenes, a sacrifice accepted & pleasaunt vnto God.

Harry Ironside, in his commentary on the book of Philippians, wrote:

That Paul was not salaried by the Philippians in that they only sent things "as opportuntiies arose" is evident. What they sent was gifts, not wages.

2. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

You are splitting hairs. Pauls NEEDS were met by the Philippians...just like a "salary" meets your needs. Paul was sent money, by the Philippians, to provide him with the necesssities of life and ministry. To deny that, is to deny the plain reading of scripture.

Php 4:18 I have received full payment, and more. I am well supplied, having received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent, a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God.

He was receiving PAY. In fact, he was by his own words, "in abundance" (perisseuo) or "full"...he was doing VERY well, according to Paul, because of the money the Philippian Church (and later, OTHER churches), were continuously sending him.

Again, ALL of the people in the New Testament, were paid for their preaching NONE of them worked other jobs, unless Paul is a liar, or the KJV is wrong...

1Co 9:6 Or I only and Barnabas, have not we power to forbear working?

1Co 9:13 Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar?
    1Co 9:14 Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

That is completely clear, and undeniable...unless you have an agenda.

3. SmalltownPastor

Hey, everyone! Remember me? I started this thread about my church's dwindling budget. :wavey:

I met two nights ago with three members of the church to talk about possible solutions. No one even suggested cutting my salary at all. I was grateful for that, as we cannot afford to live off of any less. We suggested to the church last night (at our congregational business meeting :smilewinkgrin:) that we cut back on a few items, including our missions giving. We were giving 14.5% of our budget to missions organizations, now we will be giving 10%. We also made a few other smaller cuts, but the missions giving will make the biggest difference.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like a wise decision.

5. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Praise the Lord! Glad it has worked out. We got a little way away from what you were talking about, didn't I.

6. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Glad it worked out for you, brother!