1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Class Confusion

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by csmith, Mar 29, 2005.

1. csmith

csmith New Member

I remember as a youngster in a rather large church we had a myriad of different class options. There was the Seniors, singles, young marrieds, teens, etc.

Now, as a pastor and parent, I think it is vital that families stay together in church--except for maybe the infants who can be quite disruptive. I have 4 children all under the age of 10 and they hear the preaching from the "adult" pulpit 3 times a week. What is it with separating families at church? Is this really the best thing?

This is not an argument about whether or not someone can get something good from another class that is customed to their "needs". I know that can happen. It is an issue of what we are sacrificing in order to do that.

TOO MANY CLASSES IN CHURCH AND NOT ENOUGH FAMILY!! :eek:

Pardon me, I just thought that needed to be yelled.

2. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

My church does a summer program in which all of the Sunday Schools are brought together for one lesson. The children are disruptive, and the teenagers bored to tears.

What is interesting to, say, a 60-year-old may not be relevant to a 12-year-old. Should be, maybe, but isn't.

Families need to be families at all times, not just when the church structure imposes togetherness upon them. It's up to Mom and Dad, not the preacher.

3. csmith

csmith New Member

What do you mean "imposes togetherness"? What about imposing separation? That's what most churches do? Which is worse? The reason the children are disruptive and the teens are bored to tears is because (from the way it sounds) your church does this once a year. Why can't your preacher teach and preach something that can benefit both children and "geezers" at the same time?

Maybe SS teachers are worried about losing a job, I don't know.

4. billwald

billwald New Member

We should also go back to the one room school house?

5. csmith

csmith New Member

We do at my house. Thanks for the input.

6. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

No one besides the pastor and me has a job that includes teaching Sunday School, so that isn't a consideration.

Rather, it is the practical knowledge that different groups have a different interest and interest level. It isn't "imposing separation" if that's what the congregation asks for, after all.

If your congregation is more benefitted by keeping everyone together for Sunday School, that is wonderful. I'm certain that, when a family comes to church where I am and wants to stay together, we'll work to make that happen.

7. csmith

csmith New Member

You can bet that most of the kids want to be separated, but should they? That is the question. Sure, churches can do whatever they want, but is it really better to separate families on a consistent basis? I don't think so.

8. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

I feel the same way about "Men's meeting" one night a month and "Ladies meeting" one night a month. I prefer to be with my wife at functions, not with a bunch of other men (One of the reasons I demitted from the Masons)

9. csmith

csmith New Member

I was visiting a church one time and a nice woman came to us quietly during the service and said that she would take our kids to their classes (none of my children were acting up in the slightest). I politely told her that they would be just fine sitting with us. She rolled her eyes as if I was stupid and marched off. Well, whatever.

10. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I can't argue with your points. I get a little tired - OK, a lot tired - of people worrying if a baby makes noise during the service. I'm thinking "good for the mom and dad for bringing their kid!"