1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

church covenants? were some unBiblical?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by mr. messy, May 4, 2005.

1. mr. messy

mr. messy New Member

I am limited in my own viewpoints and my own life experiences of 65 years. I was driving and happened to think of church covenants. In one of the churches that I was in...I remember a church covenant pasted in the back of a church hymnal. I don't have a church covenant in front of me.

Does your church promote such agreements now?

Please correct me if I am wrong. I remember "religiously educating our children,"...and when we leave this church, then we would join a similar church (something to that effect).

Did some church covenants agree to "no card playing?" Some believers might this statement is not Biblical.

What examples of church agreements or covenants can you provide to me?

Did some of the covenants spell out practices or prohibitions that are not Biblical?

I am just thinking out loud. Thanks for your input. mr. messy

2. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I don't have one handy either but I once saw a giant one hung behind a pulpit in Tennessee and the preacher pointed at it and said that if you didn't believe that then you were going to hell. I don't know what happened the rest of the service because I left.

3. mr. messy

mr. messy New Member

Did some of the church covenants prohibit card playing? I heard from this someone else that at least one of the covenants did prohibit card playing.

What do you think? mr. messy

4. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Churches have prohibited card playing, dancing, "mixed bathing" (meaning swimming in the same pool of both men and women, even when wearing swimming suits) but seldom or never do such rules make it into church covenant documents.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A preacher like that has not probably done much evangelism to make such a statement. If there were non-believers present it would only condemn them without giving them any good news.

Too many denominations are known for what they are against and not what they do stand for.

When I was young my mother could tell me what Baptists were against but she never heard the good news. She had never been in a Baptist church.

6. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I've seen those church covenants that are often hung behind the pulpit or glued inside the hymnal...it is a generic covenant that Lifeway stores makes about $.50 for each one that is bought. I think that is about all they are worthy myself.

I'm working with the church i'm pastoring to develop a new church covenant that is going to be more personal for us as a congregation.