1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Discipline

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Pastor David, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Pastor David

Pastor David Member
    Site Supporter

Does your church exercise church discipline? Does it follow the guidelines in Matthew 18? Would your church be willing to excommunicate an unrepentant sinner with the hopes they'd be restored? And are churches who "inflate" their roles and never purge their roles of people who have left acting Biblically?

2. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

yes

yes

yes

no

3. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Does your church exercise church discipline?
    Staff Members - yes
    Members - Seldom
    Keep in mind our church has over 2000 in attendance each Sunday.

Does it follow the guidelines in Matthew 18?
    Yes, when exercised.

Would your church be willing to excommunicate an unrepentant sinner with the hopes they'd be restored?
    If excommumicate means drop from membership, it has little or no meaning or effect; since members (deserters) can stop attending the church for years and still be considered a member in good standing upon returning. Once you are a member, retaining your membership means very little. The church down the street would welcome you, so why not just go there.

And are churches who "inflate" their roles and never purge their roles of people who have left acting Biblically?
    Definitely not acting Biblically; it is being dishonest and presents a false picture of the church.

4. Pastor David

Pastor David Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks for the replies.

drfuss,

Do you think that being an extremely large church can make exercising biblical church discipline difficult? If so, what would be some ways to adjust?

Also, I agree with your assessment of church membership. The "church down the street" should inquire into the perspective members church history to see if any issues need to be resolved.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is a good question. I think the adjustment would come from the strength of the leadership. Looking at the first mega-church (in Acts), I don't think they had much issue with church discipline due to the outstanding leadership given. Just a thought...

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

yes

yes

Yes, and we have - even recently.

No.

As for the larger churches, I think church discipline is as easy as it is in smaller churches. The important thing is for all the church members and attendees to be aware of the idea of Biblical discipline and for everyone to have some sort of contact with leaders in the church. This can be through small groups or other ministries. But Biblical church discipline should be carried out whenever it is necessary. To do anything else is to allow a cancer to grow through the body that will most likely affect the health of atleast many others. That is not a good thing.

7. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I have no experiance with a mega-church, in fact the idea of a Free Will Baptist mega-church makes me laugh inside. Most of our churches are under 100 with many as small as 10 or so.

I would think that a mega-church would have to have someone in a relationship with it's members. I know a pastor can not know 2000 people but Associate Pastors, group leaders, etc should have that peronal contact with everyone. Discipline should be carried out in a Biblical fashion no matter the size of the church. Otherwise are they really a church?

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    O that Christians were as eager to disciple as to "excommunicate" and purge".

9. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An observation, if you will!

If there were more of the latter, might not there be more of the former?

One more thought that I just noticed -
    DISCIPLE
    DISCIPLINE!

Looks as if they both came from the same root, so they may be strongly dependent on each other.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Yes

Yes

Yes, but they wouldn't call it "excommunication," I don't think. Maybe more "putting out" the person in hopes he/she would repent.

Restoration comes after repentance. The person comes back to the church, repents, and goes through a process of restoration.

I don't know to the last question

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I have a feeling that churches that don't disciple don't confront and excommunicate, either. A church that does either of these is likely doing the other because it is based on following the Bible.

12. Pastor David

Pastor David Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks for all the responses. It is encouraging to read where churches are trying to care for their own through discipline. And yes - disciple and discipline are very similar indeed!

13. drfuss

drfuss New Member

We are located in a metropolitan area with many churches. IMO, the days of churches questioning incoming members coming to the larger churches are over.

14. sag38

sag38 Active Member

You know, I follow God's word when dealing with an unrpentent church member. But, I have been tempted to go take an adulterer (espeically a loud mouth unrepentent dad) and beat the tar out of him. The arrogance of some that I've dealt with is appalling.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

yes

yes

yes

no

16. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

The proper way to put it is, withdraw fellowship, disfellowship. I've also heard it called "churching," but more as a colloquial term. Excommunicating is not a Baptist word.

17. Pastor David

Pastor David Member
    Site Supporter

Tom,

You might also include "shunning" which is the practice in many anabaptist fellowships. But you're right to say that the word "excommunication" is not well-known in Baptist ciricles. But in reading and studying denominations who do use this term, I feel it best describes what takes place when a person is "disfellowshipped". Excommunication simply means to be taken out of communion - or fellowship. Ex = "out of" / Communion = "fellowship". It is a term that is coming into more use in the Reformed Baptist circles more so than the wider Baptist church. But is means essentially the same thing as "disfellowship" and so on.

Blessings,

18. Todd W. White

Todd W. White Member
    Site Supporter

Yes.

Yes.

That's the main purpose of Church Discipline - RESTORATION. It is NEVER to be used as punishment (Gal. 6:1).

No.

In fact , most pastors are probably so happy to get rid of trouble-makers that they fail to tell the church the trouble-makers went to what happened, so they sow seeds of discord there, too.

I have always sent a letter informing the pastor of the other church of what the trouble-maker did, what I believe his/her spiritual needs are, how I tried to help them in those areas, and, in addition to warning him how to avoid problems with that person, I encourage him to try to help them instead of failing, as I did.

To pawn folks off on another church just to get "shed" of them is wrong, in my view.

So is having hyper-inflated roll books.

19. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

You and I both understand what we mean by excommunication. But to the RC church, for instance, it means something else entirely. It means to deny them communion, to deny them the sacraments--in essence to cut them off from salvation.

That's the only reason I suggest care in the use of excommunication as a synonym for disfellowshipping.

20. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I thought it meant exclusion from fellowship.